30-06 with 180 Btip?

Yes Scotty, just did it again. 2875 this time. I've never chronographed this load before that I recall. I do find a note in my log book estimating 2850 to 2900. The estimate was a wag based on 300 yard trajectory relative to 150 grain BT at 2950.
WW case, CCI large rifle primers, 61.5 RL 22. 24 inch Pac Nor barrel on a Ruger action.
I always felt it was fast, no pressure signs and case life is at least five reloads.
Very accurate as well, typically 1/2 MOA.
Chronograph is a gen 3 magneto speed. I have not compared the magneto against other chronographs directly but with loads and rifles I have chronographed in the past the magneto speed appears consistently accurate.

She's an old friend, I've had her since I was 13 or 14. I'm 60. Lots of Mule deer and elk, a few black bears and antelope and my Big Horn. All I have to do it seems is load her up and walk into the mountains, she does the rest:)

salmonchaser":1rghbeld said:
She's an old friend, I've had her since I was 13 or 14. I'm 60. Lots of Mule deer and elk, a few black bears and antelope and my Big Horn. All I have to do it seems is load her up and walk into the mountains, she does the rest:)

Really doesn't get any better for a hunting rifle... (y)

Guy

salmonchaser":umgykumk said:
WT. I just chronographed 61.5 grains of RL 22 in my rifle. Five shots averaged 2876 fps. Hope this helps.

Hell, this is my 300WSM. Good stuff!

I've been playing with Re17 and 180s in my own .30-06 the last couple of months. I found that 2900 fps is no problem out of my 24-inch barreled M70. I saw the possibility of good accuracy near 2900 and bypassed a node (or what looked like a node) at about 2830. Further testing has shown that the 2900 fps load just isn't going to shoot, though. I am in the process of revisiting the lower charge currently. I think there IS a node there, but I can't be sure. I just wish I could get to the range more often, or even do my loading out there.

I think the biggest advantage of the 4350s lies with the H flavor, and its temperature tolerance. Re17 is a bit sensitive to temp changes.

I'm shooting Partitions rather than Ballistic Tips. I suppose that could matter.

I found with my 06 that when I've pushed it too far pressure wise, accuracy fell off.
2900 out of an o6 and 180 pt. is outstanding. More then adequate for anything on this continent. Most of my loading with partitions in any caliber give acceptable accuracy. My 06 and the 338 Jarrett really like them. A 180 BT at 2950 would be a great cross canyon shooter I would think.

I wish that load would shoot! It's just not consistently accurate though. Too good to be true!

With 61.0 grains of RL-22 in my 30-06 22" barrel. I was only getting 2670 or so.That was with a 180 BT too. more barrel does afford a little more velocity.

Don

I shot my rifle with RL22 today and it went well.

61.5gr 2768 fps-.430" group
62.0gr 2791 fps-1.069" group
62.5gr 2801 fps-1.67" group

Looks as if you found your load. Shoot it again to prove it, and you're good to go anywhere in North America.

DrMike":k2ws7zsh said:
Looks as if you found your load. Shoot it again to prove it, and you're good to go anywhere in North America.

Oh yeah! That'll hunt! Great shooting WT.

My results were similar with the groups opening up as I increased the powder. Looks like you found an excellent load, good work.

Back