30-30s (pic)

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
Here is a picture of the 2 30-30s I snagged when I was home. The one on the left was my mothers grandpa. I never met him but the story is that he entered in a drawing and won the rifle. He did not hunt. My uncle who does not hunt got the gun and I took it to clean it about 10 years ago. I "forgot" to give it back. Today was the first time I have ever shot it or heard of it being shot. It has some surface rust from sitting in the corner for years. It ran smooth and fired without any issues. I hit paper 2 out of 4 times at 100 yards. The serial number is 2939xxx.

The rifle on the right is my dad's. He got it new when he was in high school. He has never shot a deer with it. I have no clue how many shots he fired through it but I know it has not been fired in the last 12 years. I shot a 5" group with it at 100 today. The serial number is 32555xx

My goal is to load up a few rounds for them and use them at the range while other rifles are cooling down. If I get good enough at 100 yards, I might take one hunting someday.

100_3945.jpg

Great looking guns. It would be super cool to take a deer with each rifle or so I think.

Bill

I would love to shoot a deer with each one. It is a goal of mine. I just need to get better with open sights.

Dad's was made in 1969 and my great grandfathers in 1966.

Very cool family rifles! That's great.

I haven't had a Win 94 in a long time, mostly a Marlin shooter. The Model 94 I had long ago, I set up with a Williams receiver sight.

It's very possible they're drilled and tapped for a Williams receiver sight, which would help tighten up your groups and improve your iron-sight shooting tremendously. It's less than $50 and can be a huge improvement in practical accuracy. I hunted with a peep-sight equipped .30-30 Marlin as recently as last year.

Cool old rifles - consider popping a Williams sight on one of them. It can later be removed if you like, and the rifle returned to original condition. It's simply a matter of a couple of screws on the left side of the receiver.

The .30-30 is a mild-shooting cartridge. A genuine pleasure to shoot and far more effective on medium game than many will admit. That cartridge has been around so long, and the velocity is so mild, that the standard jacketed bullets for it work very, very well. They can be capable of surprising accuracy as well.

Regards, Guy

The only model 94 I have and cherish is my 1959 94 in 32 win Special. I love it!

You got some really cool sticks there.

Attachments

• win32.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 952
This is my long forend, .32 Win Special (1947). I had not fired it for about three years and can't see the rear sight any more. I gave it to my son for Christmas. It shoots about 2 inch groups with handloads at 100 yards.
WinchesterMod94-1.jpg

The 32 Win can be a fine shooting rifle. I've witnessed a few that were surprisingly accurate. My aging eyes deter me from relying on iron sights, however. Still, it would be a sweet rifle to own.

I liked the Model 94 Winchesters (Transtition and pre War) models for their fine workmanship and superior fit and finish. No MIM's parts, no sheet metal or powder metal technology and slick action fitup. I also had a .45 Colt Custom Shop, Special side ring, carbine Model 94, made in about 1998 which was nice to and had really nice wood on it. The action was hand fitted and honed to be smooth as a babies butt.

However, the eyes are gone, let the next generation enjoy the best of the 19th Century rifle design holdovers. The only older lever that I coveted and never owned was an 1886/71 Winchester. Oh well, you can't cover all bases in one short lifetime.

OU812":3uecs8fx said:
Great looking guns. It would be super cool to take a deer with each rifle or so I think.

Bill

I would love to take a deer with my old M94. The one I have has no history, I picked it up next to nothing when I was up North in NH for school. My son has taken a real shine to it though.. He loves it. I am hoping he carries it a little this Fall, it would be awesome to see him smoke a deer with it.

DSC_2346.jpg

Guy Miner":3uecs8fx said:
Cool old rifles - consider popping a Williams sight on one of them. It can later be removed if you like, and the rifle returned to original condition. It's simply a matter of a couple of screws on the left side of the receiver.

The .30-30 is a mild-shooting cartridge. A genuine pleasure to shoot and far more effective on medium game than many will admit. That cartridge has been around so long, and the velocity is so mild, that the standard jacketed bullets for it work very, very well. They can be capable of surprising accuracy as well.

Guy nailed it. I think a Williams is 35 bucks and they require about 5 minutes of time to put the sight on them. I can shoot pretty well out to 150 yards or so with the sights.

DSC_2345.jpg

They are quick and have an insert that can be screwed out in order to have more of a "Ghost Ring" type rear aperture.

Buy up some 170 grain Hornady, Sierra's, Nosler, Speer, ect and load them up over Leverevolution and have some fun.

170 grain Sierra

DSC_2937.jpg

They can be very accurate.

MidwayUSA, Grafs, Natchez, Midsouth.. Really, I just look for the cheapest vendor with shipping most of the time.

By all means, grab a Williams peep sight. At the price you can secure them, they are a bargain.

Here's an example of the two kinds available:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/198988 ... inum-black

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/583902 ... inum-black

The FP site has micrometer adjustments with clicks, and the 5D just has friction adjustments, I believe. One of the reviews says a 94 from 1969 already has the holes drilled in the side of the receiver, filled with plug screws. Perhaps your two have the holes already, as well.

I don't know if you can find them any cheaper, but it's worth looking, obviously.

Don't mess with the 5D. Getting the elevation is not too hard to do but the windaage is a royal PITA. Just ask me how I know. I have several 30-30s, 2 m94s, one made in 1911 and was my Great-grandfather's gun and another made in 1981. I also have two Winchester M64s, one made in 1938, the year I was born and the othe in 1951, just 6 years before that very fine rifle was discontinued. I even have a Winchester M54, the forerunner to the famous Pre-64 M70. I also have an M94 in .32 Win. Spl. that is quite cherry. I think that one was just before WW2. I haven't checked the number on it yet. The only 30-30 I shoot anymore is my marlin 336 with the straight stock like the M94s. The reason I shoot that one is it has a scope. I just can't see the iron sights or Reciever sights anymore. The rear sight is OK. It's the front sight that disappears as if it had a Romulan cloaking device. :roll: I'll be talking to my opthamologist in afew days to see if I'm a good candidate for cataract surgery. They say that can make a big difference when shooting iron sights. I know my old guns would just love to get back out ito the sunshine. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul B.

Paul, I have had two cataract surgeries which corrected my vision in both eyes from 20/200 to 20/20 or better. The problem is astigmatism with me so I still have to wear corrective lenses to read and to see very far. The cataract surgery does nothing for old age, far sightedness. I had the eye doc make me a pair of glasses which have half segs and are corrected to three feet distance. This has really helped recover some of my revolver shooting skills but does nothing for seeing the rear sight on my Model 94. I still cannot shoot in the 290's with a handgun as I once could, but can at least mostly hit what I am aiming at to 25 yards consistantly. I guess that is good enough?

For rifles, it is scopes only now for me. All of my Model 55's, 64's and 94's are now gone.

"Romulan cloaking device"! I love it! You've got some nice Winchesters there, Paul. As for myself, I have my Dad's 94, an 86 in .33 Win., a 71 in .348, a Marlin 39 Mountie and my nice Winchester Mod. 54 in 30-06.

duckcreekdick":36pb1qjs said:
"Romulan cloaking device"! I love it! You've got some nice Winchesters there, Paul. As for myself, I have my Dad's 94, an 86 in .33 Win., a 71 in .348, a Marlin 39 Mountie and my nice Winchester Mod. 54 in 30-06.

DCD, that is a sweet collection of Winchesters! Very cool! I would love to see pictures of the 33 Win and the M71! Two very awesome rifles.

Here is the pic Guy requested. Figured I'd put it here instead of the optics forum. The rifle is visually nothing special, but was my Dad's, my Grandpa taught me to shoot with it and I took my 1st several deer with it before I got 30-06 itis.

Attachments

• IMG_0337.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 594
Back