30 cal 168 grain BT vs ABLR

ShadeTree":24dmslwm said:
Guy Miner":24dmslwm said:
Recently realized that I've come perilously close to running through my supply of 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets. Did a lot of practice with them last year, and some hunting.

I still have a few hundred 165 gr Partitions, but... I really liked the way the 165 Ballistic-Tips worked last year...

Have a few boxes of 168 E-Tips on hand... And a few hundred 180 gr Partitions...

No, I guess I don't need to try the new long-range Accubonds! :mrgreen:

Guy

Guy, you seem pretty well versed on these in the .308 caliber. Why is there a 165 BT and a 168 BT? Surely there is more of a difference than just 3 grains of weight? Is the 168 a tougher constructed bullet?

That's a million dollar question right there!

SJB358":3u7lbtqk said:
ShadeTree":3u7lbtqk said:
Guy Miner":3u7lbtqk said:
Recently realized that I've come perilously close to running through my supply of 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets. Did a lot of practice with them last year, and some hunting.

I still have a few hundred 165 gr Partitions, but... I really liked the way the 165 Ballistic-Tips worked last year...

Have a few boxes of 168 E-Tips on hand... And a few hundred 180 gr Partitions...

No, I guess I don't need to try the new long-range Accubonds! :mrgreen:

Guy

Guy, you seem pretty well versed on these in the .308 caliber. Why is there a 165 BT and a 168 BT? Surely there is more of a difference than just 3 grains of weight? Is the 168 a tougher constructed bullet?

That's a million dollar question right there!

Guy Miner":3u7lbtqk said:
I don't know...

I have to say I was surprised by these answers. I figured I was just not up to date on what was surely an obvious difference. So I called Nosler. :) Their answer makes sense now. The gentleman I spoke with told me that indeed the only difference is 3 grains of weight. He said that came about because of people shooting competition in that caliber and that the 168 gr bullet is a common weight in competition shooting for that caliber, and that they wanted a hunting bullet to match it. Makes sense now.

SJB358":2ezs6gf2 said:
TackDriver284":2ezs6gf2 said:
SJB, currently I have the 150 ABLR loads with IMR4350 sitting in the ammo box for the 7mm Magnum since last week and I just hope that they shoot, I do hear that the ABLR is pretty fussy to get to shoot for some fellas. I hope I am not one of those.

Yeah, I tried them in the 7mm WSM, 7mm Rem Mag, 270 WSM, and 300 Weatherby. Tried a few powder combo's with each and would get some excellent groups at distance and the next time they would fall apart. I am not sure what the deal was but I may circle back around and try them again and see what happens.

I am looking forward to seeing what happens for you with your 7.

Tried the 150 ABLR today, it is indeed fussy and could not settle down to a nice group. I seated them .010" off the lands and I have read that they like a long jump to shoot well.

Should I scrap it and go for the 160 Accubonds? Accubonds are easier to tune

TackDriver284":2cslfnc5 said:
SJB358":2cslfnc5 said:
TackDriver284":2cslfnc5 said:
SJB, currently I have the 150 ABLR loads with IMR4350 sitting in the ammo box for the 7mm Magnum since last week and I just hope that they shoot, I do hear that the ABLR is pretty fussy to get to shoot for some fellas. I hope I am not one of those.

Yeah, I tried them in the 7mm WSM, 7mm Rem Mag, 270 WSM, and 300 Weatherby. Tried a few powder combo's with each and would get some excellent groups at distance and the next time they would fall apart. I am not sure what the deal was but I may circle back around and try them again and see what happens.

Tried the 150 ABLR today, it is indeed fussy and could not settle down to a nice group. I seated them .010" off the lands and I have read that they like a long jump to shoot well.

I'd back them up to .100 off and try it. Just for grins.

SJB358":1ygq25hz said:
TackDriver284":1ygq25hz said:
SJB358":1ygq25hz said:
TackDriver284":1ygq25hz said:

I'd back them up to .100 off and try it. Just for grins.

I'll try that before I get my annealing machine.

Side note, i still have 3 more loads which I stopped using when the first 5 loads did not group at all, should I just seat those loads .100 deeper instead?

TackDriver284":29nft8yx said:

I'd back them up to .100 off and try it. Just for grins.[/quote]

I'll try that before I get my annealing machine.

Side note, i still have 3 more loads which I stopped using when the first 5 loads did not group at all, should I just seat those loads .100 deeper instead?[/quote]

I would seat them deeper and try them.

I just got reminded of this, thought I wouldn't get anything and tried pushing them way back and the rewarded me with a snug little knothole.

Back