300 BLK 220gr Nosler BT

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
Ever since I started playing with the 300 BLK the 220gr ballistic tip has had my attention. It’s just a very cool looking bullet.

Now that I have my Black Friday blackout put together I picked up a couple boxes to try out. It’s supposed to expand down to 800fps. This should get it out to 300 yards and still expand on game. I would be pretty interested in trying these on a whitetail if I still lived in Michigan. The only thing I can think of using them for here in Alaska would possibly be black bear over bait at close range, or possibly a trash can raider at the house.

Right now I’m loading them with CFE BLK. I’ll run them over the chrony tomorrow but they should be right around 1k FPS.

Anybody else play around with subs in the 300 BLK?

849fabd24c10f92616680d772c8a4e9f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a pretty cool looking bullet. I should imagine that it would work well on black bear.

I have some seconds that I'm going to be loading up soon for my 300 BO.

JD338

I remember when that bullet was first introduced, people didn't understand that it was for the 300 Blackout and were shooting them from 30-06 & 300 magnum rifles...

Wonder how that worked out?

Not well, I'd imagine...

There is a black bear hanging around a buddy’s houses the last few days. Not much of a threat to the horses but makes them nervous and steals grain. They had one break into the tack room a couple years ago.

If it shows up this weekend I might have a performance report on third bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think that you would get decent penetration with that bullet. Would be interesting to run one through the jugs.

JD338

Yes but not that bullet. I’ve been target shooting with a 240gr cast flat nose from Missouri Bullet Co. I have a small stock of custom jacketed expanding hollow point from what I believe was Blackout Bullets, however I can’t seem to find him any more. I’ve used 2400 powder and A1680. I had one in an AR that I ended up trading off, the one I kept is in a T/C Encore with 16” barrel. Very very compact. It’s super quiet with Silencerco suppressor with no action noise. Not Hollywood quiet but close. Not used it on game. Load at 1050-1100 FPS. Really fun to shoot steel with. Pop...wait...wait...wait...whack!

Back