300 Savage moose load

fishdog52

Beginner
Jun 4, 2012
Heading to NL for moose in a few weeks and have decided to take my 1899 take down along as a backup and possible primary rifle should the monsoon rain set in. It has a Redfield peep that I am comfortably accurate with out to a 100 yards or so.
On prior hunt up that way, I enjoyed days of rain that made scope use difficult in the extreme. Visibility was often pretty close in as well. Ended up taking a small bull at 35 yards.
There is a little piece of me that would be delighted to take a moose with that old rifle.
I've been impressed with the performance of 150 gr Partitions, on whitetail, with this rifle. I use TAC and Varget, at a couple grains below max.
Do you suppose this package is adequate for a Newfie moose?
The rifle shoots 180's pretty well, so that's easily possible. I've never used 165's so they're off the table for this year.
Interested in hearing your comments, or experience
Primary rifle will likely be a 35 Whelen using 250 grain Partitons.

I’d be fine running the 150 Partitions myself. If they shoot well and you have confidence in them, I’d stick with em.

I would not go to 180’s unless you chronic them and have confidence they will expand. When you get in the lighter 30 cal cartridges, and at longer distances, expansion can suffer.

I likethe150 Partition choice too.

1899’s are pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I worked with a young man a few years back who used his 300 Savage to drop a fine young bull. He opted to use a 180 grain Hornady InterLock as his load. That load has continued to work well for him ever since.

Having said that, I would not be uncomfortable using the 150 grain Partition at reasonable ranges. I worked with an old 7 Mauser at one point that had accounted for a goodly number of moose in thick bush. It shot 150 grain Partitions with excellent accuracy if somewhat low velocities. That didn't seem to have any negative effect on efficacy when it came to hunting. Can't see that the 150 grain Partition in the old Savage would be any less effective.

Can’t beat real Data!

I’d think that I lock would be a great choice!

The 150 Partition in 30 caliber is an excellent bullet within the parameter's of what that bullet weight and sectional density was designed for, but my vote would be for the 180's when talking moose.

It wouldn't take much to determine which is better for what you're asking them to do. You already have 150 partitions and there are some cheap but proven reliable options such as Speer Hot Cor's and Sierra Pro hunters in 180's that should give excellent penetration on heavy game at 300 savage velocities. A box of Speer 180 hot cor's can be bought for just over $20. Load some up of each weight at your typical load's for that gun and water jug test them.

Definitely check the bullet specs. Hornady’s advertised expansion velocities between 2400 and 3400.

For a 300 Sav, the MV will be around 2600..not really ideal for good expansion. If you like Hornadys, look at the 170 FP #3060(2000-2500)
160 FTX #30396. (2000-2800)
160 FTX #30395 (1800-2600)

Shot placement is #1. Limit your shot to 100 or so yards and Put a 150 gr Partition through both lungs and you'll be fine

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for responses.
After some decades of hunting with "higher horsepower" stuff, I have been hunting with the 300 Savage over the last 3 years. I have concluded that it is a most under-rated round.
Combined with the fine qualities (carries easy and accurate) of the 1899 rifle, and the fact that, at heart, I'm a woods hunter, it's a winning combo.
The performance of 150 gr Partitions on whitetail, seem to indicate that they might be effective on moose, with some discretion. Thanks again.

I set up a load using 150 Sierras in Dad's Rem 722 300 Savage.

You have to remember that it's the only-slightly-smaller precursor to the 308 Win, and the difference between them at traditional ranges is very small.

Did take a young bull with my 1899 300 Savage at about 65 yards. Had to shoot from my knees in a sideways rainstorm. First shot hit high in the liver, he took a few tenative steps, so I took a followup shot that went through heart and lungs... rolled him. 150 gr Partitions over a modest load of Varget. Couldn't have been more pleased with that old rifle.

Great story/hunt! Now, "next year", get you some Hawk 190 FN and really go Old School! the .303* Savage was a real fave up North with a 190gr going about 1900fps. Or close to that. I would ask a tech at Hawk if you should use the .030 or .035" jacket for your 300 Savage. I loaded the .030 190 in a standard 30-30 for an easy 2100fps. I didn't kill anything that year, but it "just felt good" to hunt in the snow with a peep sighted Marlin 336! :)
Another "great bullet" is the Speer 170 Hot Cor. It will expand yet open up great! I loaded it pretty hot in a 30-30 Ackley (2400) and it blew through a 300# hogs shoulders like butter! Golf ball hole all the way through too!
That Mod 99 Savage in .300 Savage was one of the "Ne Plus Ultra" saddle gun here in Utah for decades! Now, as Grandpas have died off you can find them showing up in Pawn shops all over the valley! Glad you got your bull Pard!
* fixed it!

fishdog52":1hrvvd4y said:
Did take a young bull with my 1899 300 Savage at about 65 yards. Had to shoot from my knees in a sideways rainstorm. First shot hit high in the liver, he took a few tenative steps, so I took a followup shot that went through heart and lungs... rolled him. 150 gr Partitions over a modest load of Varget. Couldn't have been more pleased with that old rifle.

Congratulations! Sounds like a delightful hunt. For sure, the final result was most pleasant.

I would consider the Norma Alaska 180 RN. My friend just this weekend took a 412lb black bear with this bullet in .300 Sav with his Rem 722. He reports sufficient terminal damage, good expansion, and a pass through with a quartering towards front shoulder hit. Should be good moose medicine also based on that. If this is unavailable to you, maybe look into one of the "30-30" premium bullets in 170 grain. I believe there is a Partition offering, as well as a couple of monolithics out there. https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pr ... ctId/29146

I believe this bullet was designed for .300 Sav to .30-06 velocities on large game. I got fine accuracy and function with test loads in my M99 before I sent out the ammo to him.

Back