.300 Ultra Mag - SPS

TBASTIAN

Handloader
Jul 1, 2006
Just purchased my first Remington in .300 RUM. Definitely a bare bones rifle and scope, but one that's already a real shooter. Topped the rifle with Leupold bases and rings, and a 3-9X40mm Redfield with the Accurange Reticle. All in all, it's a pretty sweet little rig.

Did the initial break/sight-in yesterday, and averaged less than MOA with three shot groups at 100 yards. Break-in load was 96.0 grains of H-1000, Remington brass, Federal 215 primers, and 165 grain Nosler Partitions.

I'm excited to continue the load development with the 180 grain Partitions and TTSX's.
IMG_5699.jpg

IMG_5700.jpg

That is great. Congratulations. Get some RL 25 and retumbo and you will be set!

Sounds as if the break-in load has potential to become the hunting load. Not bad.

168gr TSX and retumbo has been my go to load for my rifle. ALso a sps in 300 RUM topped with ziess 3-9. It has proven very accurate and a deadly performer on black bear, moose, and caribou. It has become my go to gun. Its going to get a little renovating this winter though, going to drop it in a High tech specialties stock, flute the barrel and possibly turn down the action to reduce over all weight. Going to put a leupold VxIII 4.5-14 CDS on it. I really have been extremely pleased with the sps in 300 RUM.

That says something coming from an Alaskan! :grin: My brother-in-law is shooting the 168 TSX as well. He's had great results with it. In the past my go to guns were both Browning A-Bolts in .30-06 and .338 Win Mag...The .300 RUM will definitely be fun to tinker with!

I have the same model except in 7mmRUM. I did however buy a thumbhole laminate stock from Stock's stocks to replace the SPS stock. The rifle turned out to a very accurate shooter with 150ETs and 93gn of Retumbo if memory serves me right.

I'm looking at maybe picking up that same rifle, maybe in stainless. I'm curious how that Redfield will stand up to the RUM.

I must just be a cheap SOB, 'cause I sure wouldn't use a Partition for a break-in bullet... just the cheapest Hornady, Speer or Sierra I could find.

I have the same rifle and it Likes 99 grs of retumbo with 180 gr BT I think I will work on the 200 gr AB come spring time but I can darn near get 3 in a quarter with the 180s so I will prolly leave it I usually get one flier and 2 touchin

I thought about the scope as well...However, all the new Redfield's are made in Oregon, by Leupold, in the same factory as Leupold. I feel pretty good that it'll hold up just fine...if it doesn't, I'll resort to the lifetime warranty! :grin:

This line is just Leupold's way of competing in the cheaper scope market, without sacrificing their own price point on the gold rings. You'd be impressed by the quality and craftsmanship, especially for this price.

My AWR loves the 210 Bergers but as soon as I return from Texas I will try some 200 gr Accubonds.

TBASTIAN":3c1rgqbm said:
I thought about the scope as well...However, all the new Redfield's are made in Oregon, by Leupold, in the same factory as Leupold. I feel pretty good that it'll hold up just fine...if it doesn't, I'll resort to the lifetime warranty! :grin:

This line is just Leupold's way of competing in the cheaper scope market, without sacrificing their own price point on the gold rings. You'd be impressed by the quality and craftsmanship, especially for this price.

Yep, I knew that, just wonder where corners have been cut to make the price point. I'm thinking about maybe putting a 2-7 on my Ruger Hawkeye .358, and maybe a 4-12 on something else, maybe my .223 Vanguard.

I've got the stainless version. I found a XCR stock on Gunbroker to give it a little more grip with the Hogue inserts and it shoots about 4.5 " out at 500 yards. Congrats on a real stealthy looking setup in a great caliber. Good Luck and congrats.
Greg

nice looking rifle.!!!!!! With the Remington rebate, and (hopefully) a $100 card from Cabelas, and my Cabelas points a gift card from Cabelas, I really hadn't thought about it until today. (well not very much), I see a new rifle in my future between now and christmas!!!!!

BK":397795so said:
TBASTIAN":397795so said:

Yep, I knew that, just wonder where corners have been cut to make the price point. I'm thinking about maybe putting a 2-7 on my Ruger Hawkeye .358, and maybe a 4-12 on something else, maybe my .223 Vanguard.

I have one on my 7mm RM and used it on my elk hunt this year and it worked great. I read in a hunting rag somewhere that they are cheaper because they only make a few models and only have one finish and two reticles so it allows them to make them cheaper. I don't think that they are a cheap scope though. I plan on buying another one and putting it on my Tikka 30-06 next year.

Corey

Nice looking set-up! How's the recoil on the 300 Ultra Mag. I have never shot one. Shot a 300 Weatherby but not the ultra-mag! :?:

C.Smith":3t0dfu4s said:
BK":3t0dfu4s said:
TBASTIAN":3t0dfu4s said:

I have one on my 7mm RM and used it on my elk hunt this year and it worked great. I read in a hunting rag somewhere that they are cheaper because they only make a few models and only have one finish and two reticles so it allows them to make them cheaper. I don't think that they are a cheap scope though. I plan on buying another one and putting it on my Tikka 30-06 next year.

Corey

Well, we'll see. I'm probably going to pick one up on the way home from the airport. Just need to buy some .358 dies and I'm ready to go.

Regarding your question about the kick, I don't think it's bad at all. It feels a lot less than my .338 Winchester with 225 grain TSX's. The two guys that I know who also have .300 RUMs installed a break immediately though... I think it just comes down to what you're used to and what you're comfortable shooting.

Ah! The 300 rum feels like a recoiless rifle!

Or have I been shooting 378/416/460 Weatherbies for too long??????

my 300 rum bucks and snorts and makes lots of noise but my 7mag bites me bad.. I prefer the rum

The only RUM I have that seems to have stout felt recoil is my 338RUM, but I atribute that felt recoil to it being the XCR model and weighing less than the others. All of my other RUMs are cradled in a laminate stock, either thumbhole or standard.

RUMFamily2.jpg

Back