300 Weatherby and 6.5 at 500 yards

Desert Fox

Handloader
Aug 14, 2006
Finally got a chance to test the 140 grain Berger from my 6.5 and the 180 grain Tipped TSX from my 300 Weatherby to 525 yards today. Somehow, I was the only soul at our club range this afternoon, so I took the opportunity.

Here's the first 3 shot group from my 6.5-284. 8.5 MOA got me to 525 yards from my 110 yards zero with about 3 inches of drift to the right. The group measured 1.5 inches center to center. I had the Vortex at 16X magnification.

photo-2.jpg

Compensate for drift about half MOA and fired another 3 shot. Here's the result. The first two shot were about an inch apart and the third went further left about 1.5" from the second shot.

photo-1-2.jpg

While waiting for the 6.5 to cool down, I dialed 7.0 MOA and took 2 shots on a painted rock left by someone at 500 yards. First shot from the 300 centered the rock. The second shattered it in several pieces. I have the 180 grain in paper at 525 yards also, but my I-phone battery went dead, so I was not able to take picture. I have two together that are about an inch apart but I pulled the third one away from the group. This Weatherby Accumark is really showing some impressive longrange performance. And the 180 grain Barnes Tipped TSX is just the ticket.

photo-1.jpg

DF,

You certainly have those rifles dialed in. It all looks good.

POP":23iwnuc2 said:
Not too bad huh?

Great shooting DF 8)

Thanks, POP How's the big girl coming along. I know where you've been hanging around lately. :)

DF

You make it look easy. 8) Nice shooting.

JD338

JD338":3sm5jimh said:
DF

You make it look easy. 8) Nice shooting.

JD338

Thanks, JD. Lot's of work gone into these two rifle to finally made it to shoot the way I wanted. I'm just glad the bullet switch for my 6.5 from VLD Match to VLD Hunting was a smooth transition. Not so easy with the 300 Bee though when I switched from TSX to Tipped TSX. I finally found the sweet spot after playing with seating depht. For some reason I have to seat the Tipped bullet farther in to make it shoot accurately.

Now both rifles are ready. I hoping to harvest animal with both this season. :)

That is very impressive shooting for 500yds. Not only are the rifles dialed in, so are you. Very good shooting and that proves that you do not need my 340Wby for Africa nor does Frank. You can let him use the one you aren't using. :) :) All kidding aside, I am impressed, you are good at the little things necessary to shoot well because you pay attention to the detail.

DF: What was your load in the 300? Have you used the TTSX on any animals yet? It sure looks like you have those guns dialed in!

OldMan":3lzp1o9u said:
DF: What was your load in the 300? Have you used the TTSX on any animals yet? It sure looks like you have those guns dialed in!

I haven't tried the TTSX on animal yet. Hopefully, this year. My load consist of 85 grain of IMR 7828, Federal 215M, on Weatherby brass. I chrono this thing at 3200 fps. It shoots flatter than the 6.5 at 525 yards.

Way to go DF!!!! See how much nicer it shooting when its dry.....

Rod, I agree 100%! At least I didn't have to dismantle the rifle to dry. :)

Great shooting DF. I love to see those long range groups.

Thanks GB. I love every minute of it. It's nice when it all comes together.

bullet":v1o1049j said:
That is very impressive shooting for 500yds. Not only are the rifles dialed in, so are you. Very good shooting and that proves that you do not need my 340Wby for Africa nor does Frank. You can let him use the one you aren't using. :) :) All kidding aside, I am impressed, you are good at the little things necessary to shoot well because you pay attention to the detail.

Thanks Mike. I'm glad I had a chance to do some long range shooting yesterday. You cannot ask for a perfect day. The wind was absent and the ambient light was just perfect. I pretty much accomplished what I set out to do in such a short time. This kind of result builds confidence. I think I know what to bring in my next Safari :)

DF, that is some awesome shooting! Wow, you really make me wanna get back out there and do some more long range shooting. Those are very impressive rifles you have there. That Weatherby load is a killer for sure! Wow, talk about really being able to reach out and touch them! Scotty

beretzs":e4pf5z9k said:
DF, that is some awesome shooting! Wow, you really make me wanna get back out there and do some more long range shooting. Those are very impressive rifles you have there. That Weatherby load is a killer for sure! Wow, talk about really being able to reach out and touch them! Scotty

Thanks Scotty. I think I'll named the Weatherby the Rockcrusher. The rock probably developed cracks on the first hit. It pretty much exploded on the second hit. Those Barnes are deadly tough and accurate.

Here's the Rockcrusher from the previous week.

Noslerdata064.jpg

That is a very sharp looking rifle! It is one of them rifles that looks like it is going 100MPH sitting still! Scotty

Back