300 Weatherby and the Accumark Rifle

DrMike":cuazodwc said:
It is always satisfying to witness the results obtained with a well-built rifle and a steady hand. Great pictures of some fine shooting DF.

Thanks DrMike.

As much as I like the performance of the 300 Winchester Magnum, I'm beginning to believed that the 300 Weatherby is a tad better. My 300 Winchester is at the smith right now waiting to be re-barreled. The original factory barrel is gone. I'm seriously contemplating in having it re-barreled to another caliber. I'm leaning towards 257 Weatherby since I don't have a quarter bore in my arsenal. No reason to keep two rifle with almost identical ballistic performance.

beretzs":asgz6rx7 said:
I read your post when you bedded that rifle. I have it book marked in case I ever have to do something like it. It was a first rate job. Your accuracy with that big gun is nothing short of excellent. That 300 Wby is a nice cartridge. Scotty

I have an eye for this cartridge ever since I read an article a while back by Craig Boddington of Guns and Ammo. Craig was talking about hunting Coues deer south of the border. What captivated me in reading that article was not the diminutive deer that they're hunting, but the rifle and the cartridge that was used on that particular hunt.

Craig was hunting with David Miller, the famous Arizona gunsmith. Apparently, Miller have this obsession with Coues Deer... he has a couple of them in the record book. Miller method of hunting mirrors mine, mainly lot's of glassing. When the deer is spotted, and if it's within range he shoot. His cartridge of choice for his famous Marksman rifle was the 300 Weatherby. At that time, I questioned the cartridge of choice (this was before I got into longrange hunting). Why use such a cartridge for such a small animal. But then again, who am I to question the wisdom of a David Miller. I understand it now. Miller choose the 300 Weatherby because, as he said in that article, "it has the inherent accuracy and power to get the job done". He was right. I killed a crow at 500 yards with my Accumark. Can you imagine what Miller can do with his Marksman rifle.

DF, I remember reading that same article and thinking the same thing as you. Another I remember is a feller who converted a M70 300 H&H to 300 WBY and then hunted alot with it. Both of those were pretty great articles. Craig Boddington is one of my favorites (old Marine) and I think he makes alot of sense. I think David Miller was using 165gr or 180gr BT's out of hs rifles also for the Coues deer. Scotty

Nice shooting DF. Great fun to be out "power putting" eh?? The first time I shot golf balls was with a 6.5mm Rem Mag 600 mohawk off a bipod at 100yds and it went three for three.

I haven`t shot enough recently to attempt that at 200 +. I may try a tennis ball tho, I have found that to be a good static target too. It will bounce and move 10-15 yds with a square hit and is a good bit easier to hit if one hasn`t gotten out enough to hit a golf ball :oops:

JT.

Back