300 Weatherby QL Request and Node inquiry, Part 2

I was recently working up a load with Barnes TTSX. As I gradually seated deeper my velocity decreased somewhat. But it could be the exact opposite with a weatherby though and there generous free bore. I wouldn't rule out lighting with the optical chronograph either though. I recently switched to the magnetospeed, and have been very satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The twist is 1:10, which is common for a .308 bore factory rifle.

I've done the "groove" seating as kraky mentions, and that's close to where I started. That worked well in the 7mm Wby but not sure here so far. The factory seats them so no grooves are showing, FYI.

I own a Magnetospeed, but use it for final velocity, not load workup. I have found that with sporter weight barrels it does move the POI, and it loosens as you shoot. It's just one more variable that I don't need messing up my load development.

All I have read here about the problems of getting the LR designed bullets to shoot in standard twist barrels makes me want to think the twist is too slow for the longer bullets and needs a faster twist. .308 -1-9/ 1-9.5, 7mm 1-8/ 1-8.5 to get them stabilized and the same for the mono metal bullets since they are longer to get the weight as the cup and core bullets. JMO

There are times no matter how hard we try we cannot get a gun to "like" a certain bullet. I usually feel a lot more confident that a bullet will pan out if I am getting reasonably good groups across a broad spectrum of powder and powder charges..... it seems like then finding the magic extra special tight shooting recipe is more possible. And along with that comes repeatability which is something we really really want too.

truck driver":2l7qdurr said:
All I have read here about the problems of getting the LR designed bullets to shoot in standard twist barrels makes me want to think the twist is too slow for the longer bullets and needs a faster twist. .308 -1-9/ 1-9.5, 7mm 1-8/ 1-8.5 to get them stabilized and the same for the mono metal bullets since they are longer to get the weight as the cup and core bullets. JMO

This has definitely crossed my mind.

I think I will look closely at the data I have, might try 1 or 2 more variation, but if no luck I may try the 180s instead in TTSX or the E-Tip. I was just really hoping to get the longer bullet with better BC to work, but I realize that hope and reality don't always intersect. :wink:

Plenty have had the Berger 215 work with a stock barreled 300 Weatherby, so one would think it's possible with a 200 LRX.

Does QuickLoad predict stability with twist as well? Just wondering.

Back