35 Newton

That 358STA is a beautiful rifle. It could grace my collection any day. It really isn't that expensive. Shoot, Scotty has lots of money squirreled away; he can pick it up with just his spare change.

...maybe you should consider a .358/300 Norma, Scotty. .338 Lapua case w/ the .588 boltface shortened to 2.600, volume w/o the length. Would look like a .300 WSM on steroids...

wildgene":25fcco7z said:
...maybe you should consider a .358/300 Norma, Scotty. .338 Lapua case w/ the .588 boltface shortened to 2.600, volume w/o the length. Would look like a .300 WSM on steroids...

Gene, you are going on the short list of people for the wife to call when she axes me!

Just kidding, but that does sounds pretty neat as well. Especially if the 300 Norma takes off a little.

I do like the idea of having a rifle cartridge that is early 1900's (like Dr Mike's Birthday) that is still really viable today and really hurls a heavy bullet with some authority.. I guess I read too many Newton Articles as a lad.

Now, Scotty, I don't want to give away my age, but there were cars in the larger cities (London, New York and maybe a few others) when I was born.

Were "cars" pulled by horses still? Just checking.. I know your not a Fall Turkey!

Actually, they were on rails; and yes, they were pulled by horses. The horseless carriage would have frightened women and children.

SJB358":4waa0ugh said:
Yeah, that would be a beast Jim, without a doubt. I have looked at the 358 UMT a little. Read a great article on it as well. Just not sure how easy it is to get a RUM M70 for the build. They are kinda rare..

Why not neck up a 378 weatherby to 35 cal? That ought to get it done.

Bill

FOTIS":2t20y8kc said:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=288226911

simplify/beautify your life

Very very nice!
What a hammer!

JD338

IMHO, the only thing that I would assure is that the .35 Newton cases are built and perform to modern SAMMI specifications in every way, expecially hardness, headspace and drawback to anneal specs. Cost would be my secondary mesurement way on down the hierarchy from absolute quality and conformance to Sammi specs. There are already great bullets out there just waiting to be used. The rest is plug and play, plus load development!

OU812":2bafo9zh said:
SJB358":2bafo9zh said:
Yeah, that would be a beast Jim, without a doubt. I have looked at the 358 UMT a little. Read a great article on it as well. Just not sure how easy it is to get a RUM M70 for the build. They are kinda rare..

Why not neck up a 378 weatherby to 35 cal? That ought to get it done.

Bill

Oh man, you aren't kidding about that, but I am trying to keep it a somewhat portable rifle that doesn't weigh 12 lbs loads. I am thinking something around 8-9lbs would be okay with me, plus, I kind of like the standard length cartridges..

Greg Nolan":2bafo9zh said:
The Newton calibers are very cool. I'd like to find a 35 someday.

Without a doubt, I read a book a long time ago, written by Bob Hagel. He spoke of alot of hunting with the 30 Newton and other Newton cartridges, from then on, I have always wanted one.. It is nice that brass is available for it, and it can also be made from 8x68S brass, which RWS makes as well, so I have some options and from all I hear RWS makes good brass.

nvbroncrider":2bafo9zh said:
Why build a 35 Newton Ackley? Would improve ballistics headspacing and case life!

Jake, your probably right about improving the ballistics some, but honestly, this cartridge should be capable of launching 250's around 2900 or so. That is about all the ballistics I can probably stand for long without a brake on the rifle. I would like to try to keep it without the brake, if possible..

Oldtrader3":2bafo9zh said:
IMHO, the only thing that I would assure is that the .35 Newton cases are built and perform to modern SAMMI specifications in every way, expecially hardness, headspace and drawback to anneal specs. Cost would be my secondary mesurement way on down the hierarchy from absolute quality and conformance to Sammi spacs. There are already great bullets out there just waiting to be used. The rest is plug and play, plus load development!

Without a doubt Charlie. I hear decent things about the Quality Brass, and again, RWS can be formed for the rifle. I actually don't mind the forming operation a bit. Once I have a couple of good loads for the rifle, I doubt it'll get shot more than 50-100X a year and for hunting. Should be able to figure something out for that.

I've used a fair amount of brass from Quality Cartridge, mostly in 257STW and/or 7STW. It is decent brass. I have no doubt that any they built for the 35 Newton would be acceptable.

Scotty you and I have talked about this before, back before I got my 338 WM up and running good. I was looking at rebarreling her. I found a guy in Washington that had built a 358/375R and he claims that he was able to get 3000-3100 all day long with a 250 PT and no presure issues.EDIT!: He was getting close to 3100 with a loose chamber. His second barrel with a propper chamber got him down to 3000 fps. Shot best @ 2950 Those numbers out preform my 375R shooting a 260 AB @ 2835.

If it were me, I would either go with a 375R barrel and stuff some Big Game, or RL-17 under a 260 AB, OR, build the 358/375R. I'm with Nathen though, I would go with a bigger barrel, a number four (fluted or not) is going to be pretty dang light. My factory 375R barrel is bigger than the two no.4 barrels I own. If you are building it off of a M70 action, bolt head has to come into account. The 375R case would take not work at all to make it fit into any standard mag bolt face (not a RUM, or WSM).

I don't know much about the Newton case, or the 8x68, but the 375R brass I have seems to be pretty dang good stuff. Let me know what you decide to do!

Well, I did some more digging. I would be able to use 375 Ruger cases, or I could just stick with the 375 Ruger case to start with. Actually, after doing some reading, the Ruger and Newton cases are just about the same, within reason

Most all of the important dimensions are there, case head, body width, etc. Shoulder angle is different and of course as you see in the picture, the Newton has a longer neck. I think there is about 7 grains difference capacity wise.

35Newton-375Ruger.jpg

Cool old picture of the Newton Rifles

NewtonRifles.jpg

Loaded 35 Newton

35Newton.jpg

And for reference, the 8x68S case, which Norma makes....

8x68SCASE.jpg

So, again, I haven't started putting anything together really, still running it all through my head.

nvbroncrider":kizzfkrt said:
You wouldn't have to load it all the way up!

Jake, I am not sure if you know me that well. :lol: I load all of my stuff the way the Lord intended them to be! FULL O Powder! :twisted: I don't try to push things too hard, but if I wanna get what I can out of them.. Still young yet I guess..

nvbroncrider":32c9jno6 said:
You wouldn't have to load it all the way up!

Jake, I am not sure if you know me that well. :lol: I load all of my stuff the way the Lord intended them to be! FULL O Powder! :twisted: I don't try to push things too hard, but if I wanna get what I can out of them.. Still young yet I guess..[/quote]

Don't tell me guilty as charged. Why would I own a 6-284 if I wasn't gonna make it shoot 200 fps faster than a 244?

nvbroncrider":3p0gysjt said:
Don't tell me guilty as charged. Why would I own a 6-284 if I wasn't gonna make it shoot 200 fps faster than a 244?

You know it...

The base dimension is the most critical if your going to use brass from one caliber to another. The Ruger is .532. The rest can be fireformed or manipulated with dies.

A #5 barrel in the bigger calibers with weigh about the same as a #4 in the sub .30 calibers because of the additional metal removed from the bore. I would definitely go #5 or bigger.

Back