300 WIN BUILD - BARREL BEDDING & WEIGHT QUESTION

284allways

Beginner
Sep 11, 2017
I have a rem 700 ADL that was a 300 win. I am going to rebuild the gun and am trying to figure out what & how it should be set up.

I think that the Stock I will buy is the B&C Ti Mountain as the price point is good. I will have the gunsmith who re-barrels the action bed it and open up the channel as they are produced for the Rem Mountain taper. what are the opinions on full length bedding the barrel ? or if the pads at the tip of the channel should be removed ?

At this point the barrel will be a sst Hart, 24" with a rem magnum taper. Does anyone have experience with a lighter weight contour ?

The purpose of the rifle will be for deer and elk (moose if the tag gods are kind) and not used for LR or tactical shooting.

Suggestions and comments welcome .

Thanks

I have a 700 with a Hart #5 24" fluted sitting in a LSS stock with a Mark 4 4.5-14x_40mm scope chambered in 280AI. It's heavy at 9.75 lbs but it shoots .3" or better groups. My 338 RUM is a 700 with a Krieger #5 27" fluted sitting in a HS Prescission Hunter stock with a VX-6HD 3-18x50mm scope. It's 9.25 lbs and shoots 2" groups at 800 yards.
Maybe look at a #4 contour 24"to shave some weight. Lighter weight glass will also help.

JD338

That’s a lot of barrel for a stock that is made for a mountain rifle taper if I read your description right. Remington mag contour is very similar to Douglas #5. I would think twice about whittling out a barrel channel that far and what the end result might look like and the loss of rigidity. I’m not a fan of B and C but admittedly I haven’t owned one of their stocks in nearly 3 decades so things change. I’m glad you mentioned Hart Barrels, good people and good products. They also build rifles. I don’t believe you’ll find one of their builds in a B and C stock.

Your project is screaming for a McMillan Game Scout. They can do the Edge fill for you if you want it to be lighter. The ergonomics of that model are great, at least for me.

Yes, it will cost more, but not much. If you’re buying a good barrel, do yourself a favor and buy a good stock. Hope that’s not too harsh, but opinions asked for sometimes are. Hahahaha.

Good luck, hope you’re able to put up some pics of the finished product.

Out of curiosity - what stock is it in now? A walnut Rem 700 stock can be pillar bedded, and it already has the clearance for the barrel. If I read everything correctly. :grin:

I do have one rifle with a B&C stock, and it's worked out real well. A 30-06 Model of 1917, sporterized long ago. That rifle has never lost zero and is a pleasure to shoot even with 200 & 220 grain loads. My son took to it real well years ago when he was moving up from the 6mm to a bigger cartridge.

I like Remington's magnum contour by the way. Seems to have "enough" beef to it for a typical 300 or 7mm mag, without being overly heavy. I've never had a rifle with the barrel bedded. Have read of some rifles built that way, that served their owners well.

Your project seems a good one - a general purpose deer, elk, and maybe moose rifle. (y)
yMLFipPh.jpg

Build it how it will make you happy - one of the key things for me is stock fit. When I first laid eyes on the then-new Rem 700 CDL, picked it up... I realized that I didn't have to have a custom rifle built, Remington had built exactly what I wanted! So, I have two of them now in 25-06 and 30-06, and they're my go-to rifles for most of my hunting. The stock just works really well for me.

Find the stock & barrel that feel "right" to you - and I think you'll be a happy man.

McMillan used to be able to send a stock out to someone, to see if they liked the feel of it. I'm not sure if they still offer that service.

I'll be following your project with interest.

Guy

I typically run Krieger #2's on 7mm and 300 magnums myself. They shoot just fine and carry even better. I wanna say the #2 is going to finish around .610" at 25".

I'd also give a thought to a 9 or even 8 twist if you plan to try any of the newer, longer high BC bullets out there.

It is plenty of barrel to give it nice balance out front. I'd probably get the shank reduced to about an 1.5" and scalloped some more to get rid of as much weight as you can. I kind of have a 8 1/2lb (all up) rule for 300 magnums being all else is fitting nicely. That's about the minimum I can deal with without a brake.

Good luck with your build. Sounds like a great one.

Back