300 WM with 165 gr Accubonds

ShamrockShooter

Beginner
Jan 21, 2018
So I have a box of 165 Accubonds to load up in my 300 wm browning X-bolt with a 26 inch barrel. I noticed on the nosler chart almost every powder has a star next to the charge that was most accurate, and in almost every instance it was the lowest starting load that was the most accurate.

The most accurate loads were all right around 3000 fps. Is there something inherent about the 300 wm and that particular bullet that would make a lighter load at 3,000 fps uniformly more accurate, or perhaps was it just the unique characteristics of the test rifle having an accuracy "node" at 3,000 fps?

I also have some 180 AccuBond to load up for elk but was thinking a lighter load 165 AccuBond would be good to have for deer sized game perhaps with a touch less recoil.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I use 165 gr AccuBond in my Sako A7 in a 300wm with very good results for elk. My load is 77.0 gr of RL-22, win brass and federal 215 primers. I am getting a very consistent 3150 out of a 24" bbl and right at an moa at 100 yds.
I am primarily a 270/30-06 hunter for everything. I have shot a couple of elk with the 300 and this load and it works fine. Both cows, and complete pass through.

270elk":2i345j24 said:
I use 165 gr AccuBond in my Sako A7 in a 300wm with very good results for elk. My load is 77.0 gr of RL-22, win brass and federal 215 primers. I am getting a very consistent 3150 out of a 24" bbl and right at an moa at 100 yds.
I am primarily a 270/30-06 hunter for everything. I have shot a couple of elk with the 300 and this load and it works fine. Both cows, and complete pass through.
Thanks. Did you use the 165 gr on the elk? Did you notice any major change in accuracy vs the starting load?

I use 165 grain 30 cal bullets for elk in my 30-06 and 300 WM. I use interbonds in the 30-06 and Accubonds in the 300. Between the two rifles I have taken 10 elk (7cows and 3 bulls). The last cow 2017 was shot at 80 yards using 30-06 with 165 interbond DRT complete pass-through.

270elk":ziy2443z said:
I use 165 grain 30 cal bullets for elk in my 30-06 and 300 WM. I use interbonds in the 30-06 and Accubonds in the 300. Between the two rifles I have taken 10 elk (7cows and 3 bulls). The last cow 2017 was shot at 80 yards using 30-06 with 165 interbond DRT complete pass-through.
What made you settle on the 165? Seems like the 180 is the most popular choice in the 3006 and 300 wm for elk

Both of my Sako's shot the 165's just a tad better than the 180's. With premium bullets I have not had any disappoints on elk. A lot of hunters prefer the 180's, me I'm fine with the 165's for elk.

Long ago, I loaded up some 165 Ballistic Tips for a buddy's 300 Win mag Model 70...

They were the original version of the B-Tips, which I believe were more lightly constructed than today's version. At 3200 fps, they were about MOA accurate, but Oh My Goodness, they blew the snot out of mule deer.

We bumped up to 180's, lost 200 fps and got rid of the "over-expansion" issue...

Guy

Guy Miner":335t0y24 said:
Long ago, I loaded up some 165 Ballistic Tips for a buddy's 300 Win mag Model 70...

They were the original version of the B-Tips, which I believe were more lightly constructed than today's version. At 3200 fps, they were about MOA accurate, but Oh My Goodness, they blew the snot out of mule deer.

We bumped up to 180's, lost 200 fps and got rid of the "over-expansion" issue...

Guy
>>>most definitely the new run of tips are more stout than the first ones !

Those 165 AB's and elk are a great mix.. Seen them in action a couple of times now and they have been impressive. I wouldn't fear using them a bit.

I like the 165 gr. Accubonds or Partitions in my 30-06 for everything that I hunt. They both have performed very well for me over the years.

My son uses the 180 gr. Accubonds in his 300 WSM. It has worked very well for him to include a nice cow elk he shot a few years back.

270elk":35ppagm8 said:
I am was planning on loading up a box with the 165 ab and reloader 22 as well and work up towards the 77 gr max load you are using. My browning has a 26 inch tube so I'm curious how my velocity compares to yours. Hopefully the snow will melt this week and I get a chance to shoot soon at our camp.

Personally I prefer 180 weight and heavier for the 300 Winny, but a 165 grain AB will do. I shoot the 180 Accubonds with 74.4 grains of RL-22 out of a 26 in tube and velocity was a nice 3,175 fps. at 70 degrees temp with no pressure signs.

I "HATE" fiddling with anything and that includes changing bullets for one type of game or the other. As I am an ardent believer in the KISS (keep it simple, stupid )theory. In my 300 WM, I have used the 180 Partitions to kill Black tail deer, Mule deer, Caribou, and Elk. Its always sighted in. I never have to worry about having the right range card. I never have to change the zero, and it works every time.

Elkman":1fcesgpv said:
I "HATE" fiddling with anything and that includes changing bullets for one type of game or the other. As I am an ardent believer in the KISS (keep it simple, stupid )theory. In my 300 WM, I have used the 180 Partitions to kill Black tail deer, Mule deer, Caribou, and Elk. Its always sighted in. I never have to worry about having the right range card. I never have to change the zero, and it works every time.
Good point!

Elkman":1shoziys said:

After about 10 years the old man is starting to wear me down to his thinking.. Almost :lol:

Elkman":hmpwqfxq said:

Works for me too, but I enjoy working up the loads for other rifles I buy, & when they’re sorted, they stay that way.

I finally got out this weekend (it's still snowing here). My first three groups with the 300 win mag X-bolt and 165 accubonds with reloader 22 were in the 3 inch range. My 30-30 lever gun can do better than that. Think I'm going back to trying a 180 gr AccuBond.

Back