.300 WSM 150 grain Corelokt Tipped

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
Made it to the range for a quick in and out trip yesterday. I loaded three cartridges into Dad’s Model 70 Classic Sporter .300 WSM which is on loan to me for filling my Damage Control Cow elk tag this year. These are the 150 grain Remington Corelokt Tipped factory ammunition. Like other .300 WSMs I have shot, it required no adjustment to the scope with these new loads. Dad’s rifle was zeroed with 180 grain AccuBond handloads; the Remington factory stuff printed three bullets just under an inch and dead center of the target 1.5” high at 100 yards. Perfect. On to the milk jugs.

To err on the side of caution I lined up six jugs at 100 yards but four is all I needed. I recovered the well expanded bullet from the fourth jug. These cartridges are listed as going in excess of 3300 fps at the muzzle and at 100 yards are still traveling at well above 3000 fps. For that reason I believe, I recovered a bullet weighing 67 grains of the original 150, working out to 44% retention. Not bad for a cup and core bullet flying so fast.

I believe that the better test will come from the field, as usual. Will do a follow up post if/when I recover a bullet from an animal.IMG_8228.jpegIMG_8223.jpeg

I am certain the rifle and load combination is more than up to the task. I just hope the myriad of wildfires haven't ran all of the elk off.

Forgot to mention that I got another coyote with my .22-250 on the way to the range at about 200 yards distance and I got to try out some new 158 grain Hornady XTP handloads in my Bisley Blackhawk .357 as well. I should have milk jugged those too but didn't think of it.

I am certain the rifle and load combination is more than up to the task. I just hope the myriad of wildfires haven't ran all of the elk off.

Forgot to mention that I got another coyote with my .22-250 on the way to the range at about 200 yards distance and I got to try out some new 158 grain Hornady XTP handloads in my Bisley Blackhawk .357 as well. I should have milk jugged those too but didn't think of it.
Elk quickly adapt to burnt over regions in our AO. The forbs and mushrooms that sprout up are very attractive foods for elk, mule deer, and black bears. I have witnessed elk herds of one hundred plus following fires in this region.

Elk quickly adapt to burnt over regions in our AO. The forbs and mushrooms that sprout up are very attractive foods for elk, mule deer, and black bears. I have witnessed elk herds of one hundred plus following fires in this region.
You are correct Doc, but they don't come back typically until the fires are out and the dust, ashes etc. have settled. We are still on fire here in every direction. I just hope they get put out quickly. My season starts August 1st and goes through Dec 31st.

That will work, its a first I have seen a polymer tip on a Core Lokt, if Remington would sell those bullets for the reloaders to try.

That will work, its a first I have seen a polymer tip on a Core Lokt, if Remington would sell those bullets for the reloaders to try.
Makes you wonder if they’re making them or they are a Sierra or Hornady made for Remington?

I would give Midway a quick look for those bullets. I purchased a box of 200 grain bullets for my .35 Remington a while back and ended up with 200 grain Remington bullets.

Back