300 WSM - What's the best bullet ?

russ808":3txqaz1r said:
Mike,
I have found that both of my wsm's like that range also. They opend up when I went higher.
Russ

I appreciate the confirmation, Russ. There seems to be a sweet spot in the harmonics of the barrels. With the lighter bullets, the same phenomenon appears to hold, only in a more pronounced manner.

Mike,
I know of 4-300wsm's that like that range. I have never attempted to dabble in the 165-168 grain stuff. Tried the 180's first and they worked, so I didn't mess with a good thing. Working on 2 more wsm's and we will see how they work out.
Russ

Good intel Mike/Russ. The 300WSM has been incredible. Need to get a new scope mounted on it and get back to work with it. It could be a favorite, but I gotta spend more time with it.

I am still playing with my son's 300 WSM, but that was put on hold because of hunting season. I think if I can get either the 180 AccuBond or Partition at about 2950 with great accuracy then I'll stick with it and not change. Either of those bullet will work for anything we hunt and then some. If I cannot get the "one" load figured out though I have contemplated the 168 gr. E-tip as the E-tip has worked so well in my son's 6mm Remington.

Someone said "Speed is fine but accuracy is final!"
David

Russ,

It would be interesting to see if they are the same. If you think of it, give a report once you have some data. I've now loaded for perhaps fifty or so 300WSMs, and these observations are pretty much the norm. Admittedly, most of the fellows up here are looking at 165/168 grain bullets. However, enough agreed to let me work up 180 grain loads that I'm somewhat confident in these statements.

6mm Remington":1f7j9rm7 said:
I am still playing with my son's 300 WSM, but that was put on hold because of hunting season. I think if I can get either the 180 AccuBond or Partition at about 2950 with great accuracy then I'll stick with it and not change. Either of those bullet will work for anything we hunt and then some. If I cannot get the "one" load figured out though I have contemplated the 168 gr. E-tip as the E-tip has worked so well in my son's 6mm Remington.

David

David, RL19 didn't work for you? You will get an easy 2900 out of it, with any 180.. Just wondering if your having issues finding a good one?

SJB358":27kludeu said:
6mm Remington":27kludeu said:

David

David, RL19 didn't work for you? You will get an easy 2900 out of it, with any 180.. Just wondering if your having issues finding a good one?
I have not tried it yet. Ran out of time and I did not have a pound on hand so I have to buy some. I know, I know, I need to try it. :oops:

Mike,
My first 300wsm (Vanguard) and my buddies 700 liked 180 partitions much better then Abonds. My two currrent wsm's like the Abonds. I loaded all as long as the mag would allow. I found that the Partitions like it long. As for the Abonds, I tried backing them down and found they like the jump. The test from H.S. had the OAL under SAAMI with Abonds and the test target was .29 @ 100. I was amazed to say the least.
Russ

russ808":320t6xw0 said:
Mike,
My first 300wsm (Vanguard) and my buddies 700 liked 180 partitions much better then Abonds. My two currrent wsm's like the Abonds. I loaded all as long as the mag would allow. I found that the Partitions like it long. As for the Abonds, I tried backing them down and found they like the jump. The test from H.S. had the OAL under SAAMI with Abonds and the test target was .29 @ 100. I was amazed to say the least.
Russ

Same here Russ, I have found all my rifles like to jump the AB's, almost like a mono bullet.

David, what are you waiting for? Man, I gave you the hint a year ago! :lol:

russ808":z4s0pht9 said:
Mike,
Russ

Interesting, Russ. I've never been able to get the accuracy with the 200 grain AB that I was seeking, though 200 grain Sierra GKs give me tight little groups. I've taken the position that 200 grains of anything at 2900 fps is serious medicine. I did have considerable success with the 180 grain ABs, but wound up using the 180 grain PTs for a long time just because the accuracy was somewhat better. Perhaps I'll revisit the 200 grain AB, looking at seating depth.

I loaded my .300 WSM with 69.0 gr of IMR 4350 (hot load) and the Fed 215 Mag primer in W-W nickel flash brass with the 165 Partition. The load shot under MOA to 300 yards in my Browning A-Bolt Medallion. The velocity was right at 3150. I liked the 165 Partition as a long range deer load and used it in the Rockies several times as a back-up for my .270 Win when the ranges were going to be long (>300 yards). This load as a deer load is really a good performer. I high lung shot one 4 point mule deer in Colorado (Grand Mesa) one year at about 350 yards and laid the deer down before I came down out of recoil.

Oldtrader3":1pvoj8rj said:
I loaded my .300 WSM with 69.0 gr of IMR 4350 (hot load) and the Fed 215 Mag primer in W-W nickel flash brass with the 165 Partition. The load shot under MOA to 300 yards in my Browning A-Bolt Medallion. The velocity was right at 3150. I liked the 165 Partition as a long range deer load and used it in the Rockies several times as a back-up for my .270 Win when the ranges were going to be long (>300 yards). This load as a deer load is really a good performer. I high lung shot one 4 point mule deer in Colorado (Grand Mesa) one year at about 350 yards and laid the deer down before I came down out of recoil.

That would fold any deer or elk walking. That is a powerful combo Charlie.. No surprise you liked it so much, very H&H sounding.

Actually, the .300 WSM and the .300 H&H have almost identical capacity. I used that same load in the H&H and got the similar velocities. Some things never change only the packaging!

I see that most of You have endorsed the 180 grs., and the AB seems to have a few Fans :grin:

Could you give me some "recipe" to try out ?

Thank you All :wink:

J

I used 67.0 grains of IMR 4350, Fed 215 Primer, W-W cases, 180 gr Partition at about 2950 velcity. Good load produced good accuracy for me. It should be a winner on Red Stag. For Chamois, you might consider the 165 gr because they are ligh framed. Good luck on that.

RL19, CCI250, WW Cases and the 180 AB. I would start around 65 grains and work up.

IMR-4350 @ 64 grains with Nosler brass, CCI 250 primers, 180 Partitions or Abonds.
Russ

180 ...one eighty.....180....oh and 180. Did I mention 180.

180 gr is the winner. Regardless of bullet type, the 180 with the ignition behind it is perfect. Maybe even a little better than perfect.

This doesn't mean the 165 will not shoot well as it can be decent too...but the 180 is just so less fussy.

About 25 - 30 years ago I had a .300 Win mag.

Loaded 180 gr Nosler Partitions in it for about 3,000 fps - estimated as I had no chronograph then. Almost no one did.

Shot a wild hog through the heart with it. Complete penetration. After watching my buddy hit his hog 5 times with a .44 magnum, I was impressed with the one-shot kill from the .300 and this hunt reaffirmed my strong affinity for the Nosler Partition bullet.

These days I seldom hunt with my current .300, a WSM, but am sure that at about 3,000 fps, the 180 gr Nosler Partition will do just fine.

Currently most of my .300 WSM ammo is loaded with the 200 gr AccuBond though... :grin:

Guy

Back