300 yards and three good rifles

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Two weeks ago I was teaching a handgun class at the range, with an inch of fresh snow, and more falling... Today was 60 degrees, warm, sunny, with a very light breeze... Such a change!

Rifles:

.308 Win Green Machine with 6-24 Vortex, 168 gr Nosler competition bullets over Varget

.25-06 Rem 700 CDL with 6x Leupold, 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip over Retumbo

.223 AR-15 Bushmaster 16" barrel, 1.5-4x Leupold Mark AR scope, 55 grain Federal factory ammo

Did a little shooting at 100 yards - including a pretty decent 3-shot, 1/2" group from the .308 Win. That rifle always makes me smile. Then backed off to 300 yards and started banging the gong... Again and again.

That too put a smile on my face. Went through 40 rounds of .308, 20 rounds of .25-06 and 20 from the AR-15. Am starting to get back in the groove. Turns out I was thrown off more by my neck problems and surgery than I knew. It's coming back... The skills were rusty, but they're still present.

Nice afternoon.

Guy

Guy, as the saying goes, use it or loose it. And it happens with everything we do. I have lost a step or two with my pistols.

Looks like a nice day and sounds like you did well. Not shooting for a while didn't help but looks like you are back in the groove. Got to say I haven't shot much since the fall and it shows :lol:

Ya, I was kind of appalled at one attempt at a good group with the Green Machine... That rifle and I used to be PARDS!

So, I settled down and shot a good group, but dang... RUSTY!

Guy

Well done Guy, glad you're getting your grove back, my guess is you were still minute of mule deer.

Guy -

Enjoy the weather! Hopefully it lasts for you!

I finally got out to shoot my new Ruger Mark III .22 pistol today. It was a Christmas present from my wife. I also took out the .25-06 and shot up the rest of a box of Federal factory loads and put a few through the .22-250 while we were out.

I get one of those "inexplicably large" groups from the bench once in a while too, I know its me, not my rifles.

Thanks for sharing -

Dale

Oh yeah - if I miss or shoot poorly with my rifles & ammo - it's my fault. No doubt.

Guy

Good to read that you're getting back in the groove. Being away for a period is always hard.

Back