3006 165 gr Partition R -17 Reloader powder

bigbuck

Beginner
Oct 10, 2024
i reloaded on 60.5 gr super performance on 165gr Nosler Partition is an excellent accuracy group 1 inch on 200yds and 165 AB load of R 17 57.5 gr was awesome on Quarter Group out of my Tikka Veil so anyone are reloading on R 17 for 165 Partition before ahead to wyoming for Cow Elk few weeks to left

I was playing with the 165 gr. AccuBond in my 30-06 that has a slower twist barrel and won't stabilize 180 gr. and heavier. I have the AB running a bit over 2800 FPS using W760. I'd stopped there because it gave good groups and I was leaving for a cow elk hunt. Main rifle was my as usual .35 Remington and I brought the 30-06 as back up. While at the range ay raton New Mexico checking sights, the scope on the .35 crapped out so ot was the 30-06/165 AB that went hunting. Shot was right ay about 100 yards give or take and one shot and she staggered for about 30 yards and expired. The bullet hit a rib going in and I think came to a stop in the left lung as there was no exit wound. Bullet was never recovered but worked just fine taking the elk down. The left lung looked like red sludge. I don't doubt I could get that bullet to go somewhat fasted but it works just fine as is. Case is Winchester with WLR primer. Powder is 56.0 gr. W760 and bullet 165 gr. Nosler AB. Velocity 2810 FPS from a 24" barrel.
Paul B.

Welcome aboard Bigbuck!

Love the 165's from the 30-06 and have taken elk, mule deer, black bear and pronghorn antelope with 165's. I've not yet used RL-17, and understand that it might not be available for some time. Have happily used H4350 and Ramshot Hunter for excellent velocity and accuracy.

Best of luck on your hunt!

Regards, Guy

We used 165gr and Jack O'Conner old loading; 4064 @52 grains, for 35 years, it ran a whisker over 2900fps from my old of Win model 70 Featherweight. Its a Flawless load, for bout anything in N.A . Used Nosler SB before the Balistic Tip came out for everything except Moose and Grizzly,
Found Hornady SST and Speer Hot cores to work just as well on deer 🦌 sized stuff. Found Partition Noslers to work wonderfully on the Bears and Moose. Unfortunately after Nosler decided to package their bullets in boxes of 50; they lost our bussiness forever.............
My old featherweight is resting in the safe and we are now using a Superlite Howa that is 2.5 lbs lighter
E

Last edited:
Used the 180 gr NP and the 165 AB before going lead-free a decade ago.

The NP was very aggressive on our small roe dear, love the AB.

Now I use fragmenting (just the from) copper and brass with the 30-06; and the Breedmoor.

Back