300H&H arrives

Gotcha, I knew you had once said that there were signs that it may have been re-blued but I don't recall you mentioning the quality of the bluing.

That's a solid stable of M70's. Any one of your wish list would be a great addition.

Your decision to not customize one of those 30-06s into a 35Whelen is a reflection of your character. You know how much that would just tear Scotty up if you had an M70 chambered in 35Whelen. That would send him over the edge! Your a good man Tom. Always thinking of others.

It looks very nice now Tom, the finish on the stock is not Pre 64, .300 H&H, but it looks very well finished and clean. It is certainly serviceable and is most assuredly a keeper. That rifle will be very useful for the rest of your life as a hunting rifle and has excellent accuracy which is all that you can ask for as a hunting rifle.

My guess is that probably 1/3 of the Pre-64 Model 70's out there are not original by now anyhow, especially the more scarce ones. They only chambered about 10,000 Model 70's in .300 H&H anyhow. This does not make them an especially rare caliber but maybe at least hard to find nice by now with so many having been messed with.

I'm not a collector, Tom. My rifles are meant to be hunted and enjoyed. After I'm gone, it won't really matter to me what happens to them. In the interim, I enjoy owning these rifles and hunting each of them. You've don't a great job making that sweet old H&H yours.

I kind of liked the old style diamond inlay and the stock style...

But yes, it is MUCH classier now! Nice rifle.

Outstanding! I'm confident you'll enjoy hunting with it, and I trust we'll enjoy hearing about it.

Back