300H&H arrives

Scotty, I'll see if my FIL can get his hands on an appropriate tap and maybe those threads can be brought back. It looks like maybe a full turn and the end of the screw would be flush with the surface of the tang, so I wouldn't want it to go further than that. Could just be gunk in the threads, to be honest.

Oldtrader3":2nqzmcec said:
The .300 H&H was not a steller performer with heavier bullets in the past because there were not many choices of slow burning powder and for some reason, some gun lawyer (I think?) decided that you could not load a 1930's Model 70 to modern pressure. As a result, Winchester 180 grain factory loads are pretty anemic in pressure (under 50 KSI) and velocity at about 2850. I think that this is what Aleena is referring to?

However, the H&H case has the same capacity as the .300 WSM. Despite being longer and more tapered than the .300 WSM, the .300 H&H has a longer neck in order to seat bullets out of the powder space and will deliver the same results velocity-wise as the the .300 WSM (2950+/- fps) with the 180 grain Partition. Additionally, you have the extra 2 inches of barrel length in the older Model 70's to enhance velocity.

I do know from experience that 69.0 grains of IMR 4350 with the 165 Partition will yield 3150 +/- fps which is also about equivalent to the .300 WSM. I used the same loading in both these caliber rifles and the 165 Partition and chrono'ed both. I used that 165 grain loading for 20 years in my Model 70 Alaskan .300 H&H without incident and with terrific accuracy. That load kills deer in their tracks! I think that you will be pleased with the performance of the 165 grain bullet in the .300 H&H.

Scotty, your welcome and according to my husband my "moments" seem to be increasing as I get older LOL.

Sean, I am glad your daughter is so happy with that rifle, glad to have been of assistance to you and her LOL However you should not have mentioned your daughter is using it, that could be the reason Tom ignored your post LOL ( again for the naysayers, Tom and Sean are friends )

Tom, I believe Scotty is spot on with his advise---However, go slow and be careful and get help if needed. You found a great gun at a good price,

Charlie, in reference to your post above, you are spot on as usual sir. I have no doubt the 165 worked and worked well for you. I have no experience with the 165 in the 300. In my case 200 gr is perfect for me as it give me a sec-den of 301 and the 180 would only give me approx 270, I believe. I only use the 220gr if I know we will be hunting at ranges under 200 yards and the 220 will give me a sec-den of 331, which is even better IMHO. Also, my hunting grounds is usually Africa and the 200/220 gives me a better chance of a clean kill on thick skinned animals.

We use GS Custom bullets, but have used Swift, Woodleigh, and others. We are about to use Nosler and I am looking forward to it. ( in a 280 AI however )

Tom, In reference to location--we are headed to the country you mentioned, as we speak, just waiting on a boarding call LOL And yes she did find a shotgun she liked --thank you for asking. Again congrats on your rifle, she is a pretty girl.

Tom I just replaced the action screws in my Browning High Power, .257 Roberts because the new tang screw was about 2 threads, too long. I just put the screw into a vice and ground it with the Dremel tool and oxide wheel. I touched it up with a fine file and put a touch of cold blueing on the ground end and you can't tell that it is not factory made. It worked perfectly.

Aleena, I understand perfectly why you would use the 200-220's in Africa. I would as well. For shooting plain old American mule deer, the 165 grain Partition at 3150 fps works wonderfully well and out as far as you can see them.

Tom, Congratulations on finding a nice looking 300 at a good price. these are classics for sure and nice shooting rifles. I really like how the action works and feels. We bought one for my wife and she really likes it. We bought it with several boxes of 200 gr Swifts and that is all she has used in it to date. She has taken one elk, two mule deers and a black bear with it since she has had it. All shots were under 250 yards. I think you are going to be very happy with your new rifle Tom

I also wanted comment on the picture of your rifles on the skin. Very beautiful rifles and a great picture.

Thanks, John!

The closest skin is actually not a whitetail. That's from a sika deer. The farther one is a special hide for me...that came off my very first whitetail that I ever shot.

Tom, the composition of the photo is nevertheless great; it tells a rich story without a word being spoken.

Oldtrader3":1w4iywi5 said:
Tom I just replaced the action screws in my Browning High Power, .257 Roberts because the new tang screw was about 2 threads, too long. I just put the screw into a vice and ground it with the Dremel tool and oxide wheel. I touched it up with a fine file and put a touch of cold blueing on the ground end and you can't tell that it is not factory made. It worked perfectly.

Aleena, I understand perfectly why you would use the 200-220's in Africa. I would as well. For shooting plain old American mule deer, the 165 grain Partition at 3150 fps works wonderfully well and out as far as you can see them.

You are correct. We are not in Africa. The 165 is an excellent choice for the gun in question and all you need to hunt in the United States

hunttheus":uwjxyrso said:
Oldtrader3":uwjxyrso said:

You are correct. We are not in Africa. The 165 is an excellent choice for the gun in question and all you need to hunt in the United States

Who is ths guy, who parrots what I say with no posts here? He also thinks Minox is a US company?

Sorry being late on this,,,I'm still catching up on reading, from being on vacation myself.
Tom that was a great find in my thoughts!! The .300 H&H is grand old round!
If I had one, I will say for what I would use it for, the 200 gr. PT or AB would get the nod.
I find most of the opinions of it great reading. Most? I still don't know why this Africa context is an issue?
I know darned well I can't be overly opinated at times, but this aversion to Africa seems too personal to me!

Dave, I suspect that we have a touch of class warfare going on with regards to folks who are able to hunt in Africa and such. However since I have no class, I wish all hunters luck where ever they may be lucky enough to hunt and just wish that I could be there. Even living vicariously is better than nothing, so keep it coming Aleena and others. I enjoy reading about it.

I will argue you having no class Charlie, even though I know you said it in jest. You are a class act in my book!
I totally agree with the rest however!!!!

Dave, I am just about out of hunting for the duration but that does not mean that I can not enjoy living vacariously through others. I had my adventures during my life but most of them were while working. I also did some hunting along the way and have my memories. People in this world have always had differing amounts of money and differing opportunities in life, many created by their own selves. That is just the way it is but I know for a fact that jealousy never made anyone happy!

Update on this rifle...

Before:

rightside_sm.jpg

After:

6d109749-a821-4bde-be60-42060577f8a3_zpsdcfd91d2.jpg

This is fast becoming my FAVORITE rifle of all of them (5 M70's now).

The stock is a take off from another prewar 300H&H. It was full-length bedded, with a very light crack behind the tang. With the bedding in place, I think it'll be ok, but I will keep an eye on it, for sure. From fitting it, I may bore out, just slightly, the rear action screw hole to be very certain the screw does not bear against the wood. There is a slight gap behind the tang so that it's not in direct contact with the tang, I will check this again to be sure, and might relieve it just a very tiny bit to be doubly sure there is no wood contact on the back of the tang.

This and my M70 Extreme Weather in 300WSM are my two rifles that will go places with me as I start to look outside whitetails. Right now, a western elk hunt is being discussed as well as an inland black bear hunt in Alaska. The two 300's will go on both hunts with me, I'm certain. I will use the H&H unless the weather is completely miserable and/or I need the shorter barrel length of the 300WSM. I use the EW rifle in box blinds when I hunt down south instead of the H&H because it's easier to maneuver the 24" tube in those tight blinds over the 26" barrel. But that's about the only reason. ;)

Anyway, just thought I'd update the thread. Haven't shot it yet in the new stock. We'll see soon, I guess, how she shoots.

I really like what you've done with this fine old rifle, Tom. It looks great, and undoubtedly it will serve you well.

Very nice Tom! Looks REALLY good buddy! That rifle is screaming to get shot now!

To answer a question up a few posts, no, I didn't redo the bluing. The collector value on the gun is not high. The receiver is deeply and professionally rust-blued, an extraordinarily good bluing job, but not an original finish. The barrel, do to my own stupidity, got some minor pitting externally, which I Flitz'ed to get the worst off, and then went over with some cold blue. Bluing-wise, you'd never distinguish it from the rest, but the minor pits are there (rust is gone, though...my basement where my cabinets are is damp....I didn't oil this one, and I have never needed to do so on my other guns, and I must have forgotten to wipe a handprint off the barrel once, and well, there you go.). I know where the marks are and see them readily. An unknowing eye would have to look to find them.

At any rate, this gun is not leaving me till I leave it bound for the next life, so resale-wise, it's not an issue. I could have the metal redone professionally, and I might at some point, although I'm not sure to what effect.

The stock is a very well-done refinish of a take-off from another pre-war 300H&H. It looks good, but all taken together, no collector will ooh or ahh over this rifle. On the other hand, I see much rougher looking rifles on Gunbroker and elsewhere for a lot more money than I have in this one, and in the old stock, it was a good shooter. I have a feeling it will be as good or better in this new stock. :)

Right now, my M70 line up is a 257 Roberts, two 30-06's (A Classic and a pre-64), the 300H&H pictured here, and an Extreme Weather in 300WSM. I have two more wants.....a 375H&H and a 264WM, or, gasp, a 270. Something smaller than 30-cal, and pre-64. The concept of the double-up on the 06's was that one would be selected as a donor for a 35 Whelen custom. That may still happen, who knows. LOL

Back