300H&H arrives

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
Well, at long last, I brought home a 300H&H.

The rifle is serial number 14326.

The good points:

-Stellar bore

-Few "dings" in the metal or finish (it wasn't a safe queen, but it's in good shape).

-Trigger's pretty good as it is now. It will benefit from some overtravel adjustment, but is pretty good.

-It came with a Redfield one-piece base. I have a set of Leupold rings that work with that base, and the 4-12x50 Swaro I have waiting fits. Barely, but it fits with about 2-3mm of clearance. The pre-war style safety clears under the scope, as well.

The "bad" points:

-The stock was "customized". I don't quite know any other way to describe it. A Monte Carlo comb and a cheekpiece were added. The fore-end was widened, and diamond shaped inlays put on both sides. To be honest, it fits SUPERBLY well as it is, and I like the thicker fore-end. I may look into refinishing it at some point, as it looks a bit hokey, but man, it sure does line it all up nicely. The wood work was done very well. Whoever did it had worked with stocks before, that much is clear.

-The receiver is not a matte finish, so it must be reblued, I assume.

-The rear action screw stops about a full turn from flush on the tang. I'm not sure if it's the screw or the receiver. I figure if worse comes to worse, I may have to install a pillar or spacer to make this snug, but for now, I'm not terribly worried.

The action cycles beautifully. I'm very pleased with it overall as a good "shooter" rifle. This will not wow the Winchester collectors, but a good hunting rifle and representative pre-64 it will surely be. And the 300H&H is a round I find nostalgic and intriguing, so it's definitely appealing in that regard.

I think I did well on the deal. I stayed under 9 bills for the rifle, 88 pieces of prepped/primed brass (some are Rem, some are Win), and a set of RCBS dies.

Some quick and not-the-best pics:

rightside_sm.jpg

stamp.jpg

Tom, I believe you did very well. I remember when that particular work on wood was popular. I don't know enough about finishing to even make a recommendation, but I wouldn't let that put me off too much. It is a real steal from my perspective. Congratulations on a fine rifle.

Yes, congrats your patients paid off! That's a fine rifleman's rifle. I like how the scope hugs the rifle I always find that appealing! I think you will really enjoy your scope. I know I absolutley love my Z6 on my 280AI. Can't wait to hear how that old gal shoots.

Thanks to you both for the compliments!

I decided to take a pic of the "stable" of M70's....

m70family_sm.jpg

Tom,

Very nice! Looking forward to hearing about the range reports as you work up your loads.

JD338

Sweet rifles, those Model 70s. Great picture you've presented, Tom.

The 300 H & H is a great caliber and is under appreciated.
I am sure that you will enjoy that M-70 :)

Blessings,
Dan

The model 70 action is just plain slick. Sometimes I just work the bolt a couple of times to listen to it. kind of like a Colt single action revolver.
You did well and I think you'll be happy with that one.
Greg

Love the Model 70 and especially in 300H&H, great find and a good deal.

Made in 1938, Tom, this particular model was made from 1937 to 1946 with 26 inch barrel marked .300 Magnum. After the war they were marked .300 H&H. I am happy that you finally found what you had been looking for for so long.

The rifle is about in the same shape as my 1949, .270 Super Grade was when I bought it. The early ones that I have owned were all pretty good shooters. I think that even in New Haven, they took some pride in their work back before the war. I still do not know why people put white plastic diamonds in stocks back then?

I assume that you are planning to restock this rifle sometime? If for no other reason than quite a bit of the recoil absorbtion area has been removed from the butt stock. Too nice a rifle and with decently preserved metal work to leave the stock the way it is. Now you have to decide whether to replace the prewar stock or custom stock it? Should be a good shooter in the meantime. Congratulations on finally finding what you wanted and for a good price as well!

tom
Congratulations on your purchase it looks to be in really nice condition. I think the diamonds are there because Roy boy put them on Mark V's. While the Mod 70 was not cheap neither were Mark V's. Many wanted their rifles to look like the B. I have a custom wooden stock, of that same vintage off of 721 with diamonds in the stock. Just a passing fancy. Your 70 is a classic.

Thanks guys!

Charlie, Pat (pre6422hornet from the "other" forum) sent me a link to an ebay store/seller that has what he advertises as 90% inlet prewar style stocks, made of "Bastogne walnut". I get leery of that term, simply because there's really no way I'm capable of or knowledgable about to really verify that. Prices look to be reasonable, though, and I've given some serious thought to acquiring something like.

I think I'll shoot it as-is and see how it shoots. If things go well, then I may just enjoy it as-is for a while, as the stock really does align the eye pretty much dead on with the scope. The Redfield base included with it would not be my first choice in a base, BUT, I had the rings to fit it, and the Swaro fits...barely....in them.

The gunsmith who previously owned it was a shorter statured guy, which would likely explain the shortened length of pull on the stock.

I have some 180 Partitions in the loading room, and a nice batch of prepped/primed brass....might have to get some load data together and load some rounds to start giving it a try when the weather cools a tad.

As also contemplating running up to Cabela's today and seeing if they have 200gr PT's in stock, too. A Partition just seems like the right bullet for such a rifle.

Before my fan club starts sending pms to me, telling me i have no respect for Tom and to shut up, let me give you a heads up--- tom and i have been friends for many years.

Tom, I already sent you a pm on another forum with info and a congratulations message. This caliber is an excellent plains game caliber for a whole hosts of reasons, especially on animals like the Kudo and Impala. However IMHO if your going to use a 180 gr you might as well stay with the 30-06. I see your looking at getting some 200 and that is a wise move as the 200 gr is where this caliber shines, even the 220 gr . this will be a tad sacrilegious to say here. Partitions will do a very good job for you, but there are others that are just as good or better IMHO, but also more expensive and in some cases harder to obtain. Tom, did you know that Sean also finally got the 300 H/H he wanted also. Hope the old girl finds a place in your hunting rifle rotation. I think your going to love her, as you know, I do. Congratulations again Tom on a great purchase, she is one nice looking rifle. A

Africa Huntress":x9n76afm said:
Before my fan club starts sending pms to me, telling me i have no respect for Tom and to shut up, let me give you a heads up--- tom and i have been friends for many years.

Tom, I already sent you a pm on another forum with info and a congratulations message. This caliber is an excellent plains game caliber for a whole hosts of reasons, especially on animals like the Kudo and Impala. However IMHO if your going to use a 180 gr you might as well stay with the 30-06. I see your looking at getting some 200 and that is a wise move as the 200 gr is where this caliber shines, even the 220 gr . this will be a tad sacrilegious to say here. Partitions will do a very good job for you, but there are others that are just as good or better IMHO, but also more expensive and in some cases harder to obtain. Tom, did you know that Sean also finally got the 300 H/H he wanted also. Hope the old girl finds a place in your hunting rifle rotation. I think your going to love her, as you know, I do. Congratulations again Tom on a great purchase, she is one nice looking rifle. A

Thanks, Aleena. I replied to your PM.

As to the bolded part above.....I would tell those in the fan club the same thing they would tell you. I'm wholly uninterested in the opinions of people who would say such things to you.

You are, as always, dead on with your assessment of the bullet weights. I shoot a 165gr bullet in my 06, and a 180 in my 300WSM. I figured a 200 would be a good step up for the 300H&H, maybe 220's, but the 200's seem a tad easier to locate. While I bet an AccuBond would be AWESOME in this rifle, I'm not sure I can bring myself to shoot a poly-tipped bullet in the 300H&H. The BC of 0.588 is impressive on the 200gr AB, though!

The .300 H&H was not a steller performer with heavier bullets in the past because there were not many choices of slow burning powder and for some reason, some gun lawyer (I think?) decided that you could not load a 1930's Model 70 to modern pressure. As a result, Winchester 180 grain factory loads are pretty anemic in pressure (under 50 KSI) and velocity at about 2850. I think that this is what Aleena is referring to?

However, the H&H case has the same capacity as the .300 WSM. Despite being longer and more tapered than the .300 WSM, the .300 H&H has a longer neck in order to seat bullets out of the powder space and will deliver the same results velocity-wise as the the .300 WSM (2950+/- fps) with the 180 grain Partition. Additionally, you have the extra 2 inches of barrel length in the older Model 70's to enhance velocity.

I do know from experience that 69.0 grains of IMR 4350 with the 165 Partition will yield 3150 +/- fps which is also about equivalent to the .300 WSM. I used the same loading in both these caliber rifles and the 165 Partition and chrono'ed both. I used that 165 grain loading for 20 years in my Model 70 Alaskan .300 H&H without incident and with terrific accuracy. That load kills deer in their tracks! I think that you will be pleased with the performance of the 165 grain bullet in the .300 H&H.

Tom, I love the rifle. I can see why it was so easy to drop the money on it. That rifle looks all good to my eyes. I am thinking once you get the screws sorted out and such, to shoot it some. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to put one of the newer recoil pads on it for a little relief while working up loads.

I am with the A and the others, I think the 200's really shine in the 300's. Either PT's or AB's. i know putting a AB in the rifle might be a little weird, but they are stout bullets and will really allow you some ballistics to let that old 300 run with the new ones. There are SOOOOO many good powders nowadays for that case and it will run nice! Scope looks great on it too Tom. I can't see you having any issues with that set up. Now you just gotta figure out which one you are going to hunt with..

A, as for better bullets than the PT... Well, I will just take that as your having a "moment" and disregard it.HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA :grin:

Scotty, as for the screws, I'm thinking I may need to just use some aluminum beverage can material and make a shim or two for under the trigger guard (for now). That should let thing snug up properly. The worst case scenario is that the last turn to turn-and-a-half of the threads in the receiver tang are buggered. If that's the case, I may need to get the rear action screw shortened by a couple turns and then all should be well. I can't see it as an insurmountable issue. My father-in-law works in a steel mill and does welding/machining, and such. I'm sure he or someone he works with could take a couple turns off that screw for me if that's what it comes to.

Or you could run a tap into the hole and fix up the buggered ends of the screw Tom. Just thinking it would allow you to keep your screws and get full purchase on the hole as well. Either way, I think it is going to be awesome. Can't wait to hear of a range report with it. Hit me up if you want any data, but I think RL22 would be killer with those 200's!

SJB358":1xsz16ar said:
Tom, I love the rifle. I can see why it was so easy to drop the money on it. That rifle looks all good to my eyes. I am thinking once you get the screws sorted out and such, to shoot it some. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to put one of the newer recoil pads on it for a little relief while working up loads.

I am with the A and the others, I think the 200's really shine in the 300's. Either PT's or AB's. i know putting a AB in the rifle might be a little weird, but they are stout bullets and will really allow you some ballistics to let that old 300 run with the new ones. There are SOOOOO many good powders nowadays for that case and it will run nice! Scope looks great on it too Tom. I can't see you having any issues with that set up. Now you just gotta figure out which one you are going to hunt with..

A, as for better bullets than the PT... Well, I will just take that as your having a "moment" and disregard it.HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA :grin:

Tom I agree with Scotty, A, and others, the 200gr works very nicely in this rifle. I got one recently but it was immediately confiscated by my daughter and I have not seen it since. She loves the rifle, which could be a sister to yours. The stock on ours does not look as nice as yours, ours has a few more scratches, but she sure loves that gun. I already congratulated you at a different location, but I will do it again. Very nice find Tom and at a good price.

For my friend Scotty--I am having the same "moment" that A had --just joking with you Scotty. But we are using A-Frames, but I have zero doubt that Noslers would work just fine. I think for us it is a case of its not broke dont fix it LOL. Scotty my family thinks of you often and we continue to pray that you remain out of harms way.

alaska100":1j9lduxl said:
Scotty my family thinks of you often and we continue to pray that you remain out of harms way.

Thank you Sean..

As for bullets, if I didn't have so many Nosler's and have such good luck with them, I would shoot more A-Frames. I like them alot, just haven't been coaxed into the trying them in anything yet. Might have to figure something out. I know they do have an 8mm 220 A-Frame, which Nosler does not have a 220 yet. So, I am thinking they would get a try out of an 8mm should I ever find one!

Back