300WSM Brass

MtnHtr

Beginner
Nov 7, 2004
I have found Winchester's brass leaving a bit to be desired in the neck thickness varience dept. This is not limited to just one cartridge but several. I check neck varience with the tool offered by Sinclair. Its always a crap shoot when purchasing Winchester brass anymore, so my question is:

Is Nosler planning to offer their new line of brass in 300WSM anytime soon?

MtnHtr

I have been noticing my 300 WSM brass will not always chamber after full length resizing, and i suspected that the necks were the culprit. It seems after 1-2 reloads, they dont' want to fit anymore. Anyone else notice the same thing?

Dan

MtnHtr":35yg2fel said:
I have found Winchester's brass leaving a bit to be desired in the neck varience dept. This is not limited to just one cartridge but several. I check neck varience with the tool offered by Sinclair. Its always a crap shoot when purchasing Winchester brass anymore, so my question is:

Is Nosler planning to offer their new line of brass in 300WSM anytime soon?

MtnHtr
Are you sure that you are sizing the case sufficiently to ensure easy chambering? My.270WSM requires full length sizing, in other words the shoulder has to be bumped back a bit or the cases won't chamber. Making sure that the die is screwed in an additional quarter turn or so after touching the ram of the press works for me. I have some that I am sure I have loaded 5 or 6 times and they still work fine as long as they are sized sufficiently.

I'm talking neck thickness varience. Good brass should exhibit uniform neck thickness with less than .002" varience. WW/Olin's brass far exceeds these specs in my experience. Sinclair Int'l offers a tool to measure these specs.

Well, how about it Nosler? A custom rifle in 300WSM, how about some decent brass?

MtnHtr

With my .270 WSM, the Win brass is some of the worst I've seen, loose primer pockets from new, malformed shoulders/necks etc etc. I would typically reject around 12 from every bag of 50. Pure crap really, and yes I've had to FLS every firing to get reliable chambering.

There's obviously more than one reason that I should not rush right out and buy some of those short mags! Eagleye. :wink:

Patience MtnHtr, patience. Keep checking the forum page. :wink:

Back