300wsm case sizing

sniper1379

Beginner
Jan 2, 2009
recently i purchased a redding neck die. seems to work great, however, when i tried to load necksized cases in the magazine of my rem 700 300wsm the cases catch on the "race track" the bolt slides on. thinking it was a resizing issue, i tried a case that had already been fired, but not resized. i had the same results. could i have an oversized chamber? on a side note, it has been a long road with this rifle, trying to get it shoot. a few loads its shoots real good, most not so good.

Not an unheard of problem on the WSM cases. Winchester and Browning (Savage and Kimber) seem to have worked through the problem. Recent Remingtons seem to have rediscovered the problem. I would think that a competent gunsmith could get you going pretty quickly by inspecting and dressing the feed ramps.

I won't belabor the point too far, but suffice it to say that I suspect you're dealing with the decline of QC standards at big green. I had a 7mmRemMag 700 I worked with a while back that would double feed two rounds from the magazine no matter what you did to it. I went as far as swapping out floorplates with another magnum 700, swapping the mag box, etc. It's my opinion that this particular action had incorrectly formed "lips" on the bottom of the action opening (the only "lips" around the magazine) and will never feed correctly. I've also had tremendous accuracy issues in several remmies I've worked with over the past few years. One was mine, and several others (at least six) have belonged to friends. I have come to the decision that I will not buy another remington at this point. I just have no faith in them at all from a function standpoint. It's a shame, too. The 700 used to be a great rifle. It's now an overpriced piece of junk. Thank goodness Winchester, Browning, and Weatherby all are making good guns these days. I even hear good things about Rugers again. If Remmie doesn't figure out QC in a hurry, they're going to do what Winnie did back in the 70's. They think it can't happen, I suspect.

dubyam":2jl8ej1v said:
I won't belabor the point too far, but suffice it to say that I suspect you're dealing with the decline of QC standards at big green. I had a 7mmRemMag 700 I worked with a while back that would double feed two rounds from the magazine no matter what you did to it. I went as far as swapping out floorplates with another magnum 700, swapping the mag box, etc. It's my opinion that this particular action had incorrectly formed "lips" on the bottom of the action opening (the only "lips" around the magazine) and will never feed correctly. I've also had tremendous accuracy issues in several remmies I've worked with over the past few years. One was mine, and several others (at least six) have belonged to friends. I have come to the decision that I will not buy another remington at this point. I just have no faith in them at all from a function standpoint. It's a shame, too. The 700 used to be a great rifle. It's now an overpriced piece of junk. Thank goodness Winchester, Browning, and Weatherby all are making good guns these days. I even hear good things about Rugers again. If Remmie doesn't figure out QC in a hurry, they're going to do what Winnie did back in the 70's. They think it can't happen, I suspect.

This summer, I've seen two brand new over-the-counter Rem 700 rifles in 300WSM shoot sub MOA groups without feeding problems. And, they are superior in build quality and action smoothness to a Rem 700 7RM I bought new in 1992. I may be buying a couple of new ones before long. BT

Attachments

• Chris-Rem-300WSM.jpg
    Chris-Rem-300WSM.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 799
BeeTee, I have no reason to doubt you. But my experience has been the polar opposite. I guess big green will stick around if they can keep you and a few others happy! Enjoy the accurate rifles. There really is nothing better, in many respects! :) 8)

My feelings are, and I have absolutely no proof of this, is that Remington CAN still build good rifles, but the money to pay someone to catch the 'uh-ohs' is long gone. My reasonable new SPS Varmint is a heck of a shooter, but I certainly don't discount tales of woe I read.

Plus, a 700 would be about the last action I would get for a WSM.

Now watch me turn around and have a tacticool rifle in 7WSM built on a 700. :oops:

sniper1379 - does factory fresh ammo load and feed properly?

If it does, then I suspect your cases simply aren't being sized back down sufficiently by your dies.

Guy

Back