303 British loads (Updated bear hunting)

SJB358":6ffeyvb0 said:
gerry":6ffeyvb0 said:
No bullets recovered, all went through. The 180 gr Speer RN left exit wounds around 1 1/2". The 200 gr TTSX 35 Whelen left similar sized exit wounds, they definitely opened up. We actually found some of the remnants of the blue tips from the TTSX, I have never seen that before. We are off now for an early morning hunt, talk to you guys soon..........

Good luck Gerry! Cool stuff about the 200 TTSX's. Can't wait to hear more.

I think you will be happy with how they perform, the extra speed from your 35 Newton can only help. Great bullet in the Whelen too.

Great to hear of the young hunters success. The old .303 has always been called a 30-06 in disguise. :grin:

My young relative is going to update their old family 303 British the same way as the one he used on his bear. The only difference will be he is going with a brown ATI stock instead of black and the gun is a No 1 Mk III, it should be here this week.

I was going to suggest a Woodleigh 174 gr PP for his big animal load and a cheaper cup and core bullet from Speer, Hornady or Sierra for deer and goats. We might still do that. What is giving me a bit of pause is he applied for grizzly on a river where he likes to fish and wants top hunt moose there is thick bush, the chance at a very large grizzly is possible. I might suggest he try the 215 gr Woodleigh instead and shoot a 180 gr cup and core for everything else smaller than moose. I don't doubt the 174 gr Woodleigh will do the job, just wondering is the big 215 would be a bit better. Need to think about it a bit more........

SJB358":2zvwhdu6 said:
Very cool Gerry! That is wicked the old rifle is still collecting meat. Any terminal results or recovered bullets?

SJB and Gerry,

I know your asking for Gerry's recovered bullets, But:

I can share the 1 and only recovered bullet I have from my No.4 MK1*.

Rem180CL-143_303British_1.jpg

Rem180CL-143_303British_2.jpg

It was a 180 grain Rem factory load at 7 yards into a deer.
Broke front left shoulder and a rib, when thru body and right ham
was found under skin. About 40" penetration in all.

No failure at all with that bullet by any measure, thanks for posting. I would like to see what it would take to stop the 180 gr Speer RN...........

Gerry,

My guess is that, that Speer round nose bullet will penetrate more than those CLs
due to the RN mushrooming slower and to a lesser diameter.

I've never used Speer RN bullets, but have reloaded Hornady 174 IL RN in a 7.7x58.
I never found any of those Hornady RN bullets; They all exited.

Great round using 180gr bullet, really drops game, hogs, deer and black bear.

Back