303 British loads (Updated bear hunting)

partsman":26b7fbvv said:
I will join in, here is mine

And a target I shot at 200 yards with 150 grain bullets, I recently loaded some 150 grain Barnes TSX bullets for it, hope they shoot well.

Welcome to the forum Partsman. That 150 gr Sierra/IMR 4350 load is really good, a lot of newer rifles aren't as accurate.

BretN":1do5ay0x said:
My co-worker has a 303 similar to the ones posted here. But he is having feeding issues with it. He's tried new magazines, but the problem persists. I haven't had a chance to look at it myself. Any common or simple fixes you guys know about with these old Enfields?

Sorry to hear of your friends gun. Does it jam or does it feed roughly? Any difference between a round nose or a spitzer? In my experience Lee Enfield's are not smooth but feed reliably.

RaySendero":2r9au99f said:
Gerry":2r9au99f said:
I take it you have Lee Enfield as well?

Yes I have this old Bubbized No4 Mk1* that I keep in the truck during hunting season:

EnfieldNo4MK1_303_3_042708.jpg

It was given to me FREE !
Someone had hacksawed the barrel and the front forearm square.
Did even try to re-crown barrel - Just left it sawed.
They also put on a front site crooked.
Wouldn't hit a letter size paper at 25 yds.

I had my GS cut the barrel back past the front sight hole screw and re-crown it.
Put on a new front sight and reformed/refinished the stock.
Ghost ring is now on at 25 yds. Lob sight set at 200m is on at 100 yds.
It has turned in some great 100 yds groups with inexpensive Rem 180 CLs.
I use that for a hunting load. I reload 174 FMCBT using IMR-4320.

Have played with the idea of trying a scope.

That looks very nice, great job getting it up and shooting again. There seems to be a theme here with these guns shooting well, sounds like you have some great loads.

Mine looked pretty much exactly the same as yours before I did the face lift and added the scope. The front sight was loose and didn't hit anywhere close to point of aim. If you scope it you will need a cheek piece of some sort the scope sits very high compared to the iron sights.

Thanks for sharing all this `303 stuff`. I have longed for a .303 rifle in a long time. Love to have a Long-Lee rifle of the early 1900s. Like one posted said:" Tons of history". I have thought often to bring a .303 on a plains game hunting in Africa. I know of a few places in Freestate where they still have .303 ammunition as their inventory. So in SA it´s still a used caliber.

Gerry":8hzsqs3e said:
.....If you scope it you will need a cheek piece of some sort the scope sits very high compared to the iron sights.

Have U or anyone reading seen a nice leather cheek piece?

Took out my cousin's boy on Sunday afternoon (May 14th) and he was able to bag his first big game animal with this young boar, the 180 gr Speer RN did the job. I liked this picture of him with the hide, since he posted his bear on Facebook I'm fine posting it here with him in it.

This morning (May 20) I took out another young guy and he used the same gun and load for his first big game animal as well, again a young boar.

Congratulations to these two young men. Gerry, you are to be commended for assisting these gents to successful hunts. Excellent.

I'm glad they were able to get a bear each, both are quite happy to have brought home some meat. I believe each of them are also going to get the hides tanned as well.

Their success stimulates me. Time for me to get out and do a bit of this hunting. Bears are thick around here.

Very cool Gerry! That is wicked the old rifle is still collecting meat. Any terminal results or recovered bullets?

That just looks really danged cool. Congrats on the bear hunts!

No bullets recovered, all went through. The 180 gr Speer RN left exit wounds around 1 1/2". The 200 gr TTSX 35 Whelen left similar sized exit wounds, they definitely opened up. We actually found some of the remnants of the blue tips from the TTSX, I have never seen that before. We are off now for an early morning hunt, talk to you guys soon..........

gerry":2cvtpc6h said:
No bullets recovered, all went through. The 180 gr Speer RN left exit wounds around 1 1/2". The 200 gr TTSX 35 Whelen left similar sized exit wounds, they definitely opened up. We actually found some of the remnants of the blue tips from the TTSX, I have never seen that before. We are off now for an early morning hunt, talk to you guys soon..........

Good luck Gerry! Cool stuff about the 200 TTSX's. Can't wait to hear more.

Your cousin's sons smile says it all, congratulations to him and to you. Good luck on your hunt today.

Back