.308 165gr Accubond

pitfall

Beginner
Jun 21, 2007
Hi there,

I am new to this forum and after I searched the old topics and could not find something I have a question:

I have got a .308 with a 11" twist. Regarding to all I read till now i should use 200gr bullets. But the are to slow for what need. I want to have a load which comes near to the 7x64 (I am a german hunter).

Hardware:

Blaser R93
match barrel: 24,69"
twist: 11"
becaus of the magazine the over all length of the cartrige can't be longer than 2,874"

I decided to shoot an AccuBond with 165gr because I thought the twist is 10". So I have a lot of bullets at homeand all loadings I did with a friend didn't work that good. Best group was 0,95" (44,5gr N-140). and this is inacceptable when cheap GECO (an ordinary softpoint) ammunition holds a steady 0,43" at 100 meters.

But the GECO doesn't go through red deer and I wanted a harder bullet with a faster load. AccuBond seemd to be the right choice.

At least the question:

Is it possible to get a very accurate load with the 165gr AccuBond and a 11" twist? Nosler said the most accurate load is with 44gr Varget. Is that only for the more common 10" twist? does anyone has own experiences?

Thanx for your answers and please excuse my bad English!

Pete

I think you should find a good accuracy load between 44-46 grains of Varget. Try working up in half grain increments. If this doesn't work, try working a load with IMR 4064, but I'll be surprised if you don't find good results using Varget. Also, I would recommend the Federal GM210Match primers. I think this is the optimum bullet and weight on game for the 308 if you can get them to shoot in your rifle. 180s and bigger eat up too much room and the speeds will be quite a bit lower.

I have had better results with IMR 4064, It shoots 168gr match bullets with a 10" twist barrel great. The varget gave me some good groups but IMR 4064 was the clear winner for me. The varget has given me some good results with bullets lighter than 165gr. Either one of these powders should be able to get you good results.

pitfall

Welcome to the forum.
The 165 gr AB will serve you well from your 308 Win.
Varget, RL15, IMR4064, IMR4350 and IMR4895 should be good powders to try.

JD338

Please, do not take this as a put down. But, what possible difference, in the field, will one ever notice on a 150-350kg animal? remember a gun that shoots 1moa groups is only 1.5" from POA at 300yds. My whitworth Mauser likes Varget. capt david

Pitfall,I am surprised that you are not seeing better accuracy with the combination you are using. I would recommend that you back down on your powder charge. At Nosler we had better luck with a charge of 40.5 grains than we did at the max with Viht N-140. Give that a try and see what happens.

Welcome to the forum. We hope to hear more from you in the future.

Thanx for the answers.

I think I will give the varget load a chance. Results will be posted.
But if you have more ideas, pease let me know.

308 Win
IMR 4895 @ 43.6
165 AB
RWS Large Rifle Primers
Lapua Case or Norma

Very Accurate load......shoots Clusters @ 100 yards.

The Sierra Gameking BTHP 165gr is also a excellent bullet in the 308 win.

Norma 202 is also a excellent powder for the 308 Win......perhaps one of the best!

Due to the case capacity the heaviest bullet I would use would be 175/ 180's with 165/168 about perfect.

I had the best results with reloder 15 in my Kimber 308 and 165 gr accubonds. They were prtty accurate, results on deer were OK, not very dramatic like a btip.

It looks like I am the only one that uses BL-C(2) in their.308. I too shoot the 165gr AccuBond and load it over 42 or 43 grains (dont have my load data with me)grains, Federal 210M primer,new Remington brass.Has been very accurate and lethal so far.

Tim

I used to shoot .308 and I thought that the best weight for this cal was the 150 -165 grain range. I agree that the 180's and larger eat up too much case capacity. I would use 4064 as well. Good luck.

It is me again,

I have found a very accurate load now:

46,5gr !!!

But in a German forum they told me that the pressure is too high. Are the right. QuickLoad said: 4895bar, I was told! :(

Is that correct?
Thanx
Pete

4895 bars is over 70,000 psi and roughly 61,000 cup. Sounds pretty stout to me, but the .308 honchos here can describe their experiences. What do your fired cases look like? Are the primers being flattened/cratered?

Hodgdon and Nosler list 46 grains of Varget as max with a 165 bullet. I have only worked up to 45.5 grains of Varget in my .308win with no pressure signs.

Each rifle/barrel/chamber is differnt. I would look for pressure signs and be very careful.

Back