308 E-Tip at 180 Grain in 308

USAFblue

Beginner
Oct 30, 2010
Just purchased a box of 50 ea. Nosler E-Tip at 180 Grain to try working up a load in my 308 Remington 700 5R SS. Anyone out there tried these all copper bullets, and have any experiences to share? I am using Federal Gold Match Brass, fire-formed and fully worked except for sizing, where I size the neck only. Federal 210 Match primers. Will be trying Varget and Reloader-15 powders to start. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

USAFblue:
I have not used that bullet in a .308, but my son's 6mm Remington's bullet he shoots is the 90 gr. Nosler E-tip. We have yet to recover one from 2 antelope, one buck deer, and this year his cow elk he shot (his first) at 350 yards! Hit her right behind her right shoulder and it exited her left shoulder. She went 30 yards and tipped over.

Should be a card in the box with hints from Nosler. You have to seat these deeper and farther from the lands. I believe it's recommended to be .050- .100 from the lands. Every rifle is different of course, but they suggest that what you see as the max load for their Ballistic tip 180 grs. in your .308 would be too hot. They suggest that their middle load listed is max for that bullet. You can pull up the Nosler site on internet and search for loads with that bullet specifically and that would give you some good starting points I believe.

I sure have been impressed with what it has done in my son's rifle. I was hoping to recover the one from his elk, and I kind of expected to with the range and the size of the cow, but no such luck! Great Performance :!: 8)

I hope this helps somewhat.
David.

I have used the 130 grain E-Tip in my 270 WSM. It works wonderfully on moose. I would think that the 180 may not perform as well as some lighter bullets in the 308 due to intrusion into the powder space. They will kill, but my guess is that you will get better performance out of the 168 or 150 grain E-Tip in your 308.

DrMike":cjq774y0 said:
I have used the 130 grain E-Tip in my 270 WSM. It works wonderfully on moose. I would think that the 180 may not perform as well as some lighter bullets in the 308 due to intrusion into the powder space. They will kill, but my guess is that you will get better performance out of the 168 or 150 grain E-Tip in your 308.
I would have to second Pops assessment and would go with the lighter bullets, probably the 150 if it were me. Good luck.

I've used the 180ET in my 30-06 with great results, but I'll have to agree with the others that the 150ET or 168ET would probably be better from a 308.

Back