It’s Decided, E-Tips For Hunting This Year

Joec7651

Handloader
Apr 7, 2019
I always find an excuse, mainly that they never fail to perform perfectly, to take Partitions in the woods except for a 308 Win that shoots Gold Dot bullets like a laser. I finally have very fast, consistent, below max loads for my deer rifles worked up with E-Tips. As a side note, man some of the newer powders out there REALLY shine. I’m not using the 223 for deer but included it anyway.

The 223 Wylde with 55gr, 270 Win with 130gr, 308 Win with 150gr, and 7mm RM at 140gr all have sub moa loads using E-Tip’s now. No excuses this year, I’m putting them to the test. This is a big deal for me! I’m leaving the Partitions at home!

Everything will turn out ok, right? Somebody tell me all will be ok! LOL…… :shock:

Been using E-Tips in several cartridges for years. The 130 grain E-Tip shines in my 270WSM, accounting for quite a wide variety of game, including moose and elk, two varieties of deer and black bear. I don't push the bullets as fast as they could go, but they have always come through in the pinch for me.

E-tips sure have worked in my son's 6mm Remington. One shot kills on 3 antelope, a mule deer buck, and a big old cow elk.

E-tips sure have worked in my son's 6mm Remington. One shot kills on 3 antelope, a mule deer buck, and a big old cow elk.

Well.
Lead- free monos are around for some time now.
Many need more speed to open up, but on moderate ranges they do their job.
I currently use semi fragmenting bullets, but hat good success with the TTSX, too.
For me girlfriend I load mushrooming bullets.
They simply grouped better.
Put it where it belongs, and you will stand in front of dead game.
Seems as they sometimes run a little bit further.
But with a good dog, none get lost

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Figured I’d jump on here before heading to work. All joking aside, I have no doubt they will perform every bit as well as claimed. The 55gr .224 ET has been nothing short of amazing.

It’s taken 2 years to get the loads where I want them for the above rifles. They are accurate, and I’m getting top velocities. After some trial and error, range time, and a lot of notes in my loading log it’s time to take them to the woods.

I’ve tried them in .338 Fed. I cannot get them to shoot all that well in it. Good looking bullets though.

E - tips are a love hate relationship in 6.8s . I think they do better if you don't load long and give them a little jump . I used to only sling lead but E- tip and cavity back bullets 70 grain .223 bullets really make it look bigger than it is .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

I am trying 55 gr E-Tips in my .223 Rem this year as seems non-lead is coming.

(Also have 100gr E-tips for the .257 Roberts)

Wondering about the E-Tip in the 9.3x62 in 250gr flavour as well.

ozarkpugs:1ao0asye said:
E - tips are a love hate relationship in 6.8s . I think they do better if you don't load long and give them a little jump . I used to only sling lead but E- tip and cavity back bullets 70 grain .223 bullets really make it look bigger than it is .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk
I went a little different route. With exception of the 223 Wylde, they are magazine length for a heavy barrel AR, they are all .020-.030” off the lands. I experimented with powders until I got what I wanted. RL23 in 7mm RM, RL26 in 270 Win, and CFE223 in 308 Win. I let the rifle tell me what it’s max was with the E-Tip and all 3 gave their best groups short of the rifles max loads. I couldn’t get them to do squat with what most people said to use.

The rifles I used tend to shoot anything I feed them really well, but the E-Tips took a little time. It was also getting them to shoot in 4 rifles not one, my OCD took over in a big way.

And for Munt, that 9.3 with E-Tips would shoot end to end through a Chevy truck!

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that they are HBN coated as well, so that may let them be seated closer to the lands and reduce pressure somewhat. That could have also been why what everyone told me to do didn’t work. The least accurate loads didn’t reach 2” in group size so I figured I was close and kept at it.

The seating depth isn't necessarily a pressure issue so much as the e tips tend to shoot better with a jump of 50 thou or more.
Also- if you shoot long range the bcs are super inflated

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Seating depth and freebore will make a difference in pressure and velocities. Weatherby used it to his advantage very effectively. There are many factors that influence what accurate cartridge dimensions end up being in a given rifle. Each is different.
Maybe it’s all in my head, but mine seem to prefer E-Tips to be seated closer to the lands with my specific combination. Coating with HBN lowers friction and pressure. It may allow them to engage the rifling with less resistance, thereby reducing the need for a “running start” with an E-Tip. I just go where my group size leads me. I may get lost and have to stop for directions but I get there eventually.

Back