.308 help

cramer

Beginner
Jul 23, 2015
I am not new to reloading or working up loads, but so far I have gotten pretty lucky.
I put together a deer rifle with a McGowan 1:10 22" SS sporter barrel in 308. I started working up loads in .5 gr increments of IMR4064 under a Hornady SST 150 gr bullet.

I started testing each load in groups of 3, waiting a full minute between shots. I never got a group smaller than 3" at 100 yards. That being said, all groups had a consistent POI.

Other than verifying that scope and mount were tight, and that it is not a bedding issue, what would be a good starting point to make adjustments? Bullet weight? TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard, cramer. Always a pleasure to make the acquaintance of new posters.

You indicate that you are doing all the right things. If scope mounts and action screws are secure, and if the bedding is properly done, then you are moving toward the ammunition itself. Your testing procedure sounds more than adequate to ensure the best possible groups. However, my questions are related to your overall length for the cartridge, which in turn is related to the amount of jump to the lands you are allowing. Also, I wonder if you are getting significant run out on your finished cartridge.

With SSTs, I've had very good success at ~0.010 inches off the lands. They don't usually require a great deal of jump. Are you reasonably confident that your bullet is seating straight. One adjustment that can be helpful is to secure a VLD seating stem with bullets such as the SST. If you have access to machines, this is an easy fix. Otherwise, both Redding and RCBS can provide the appropriate stem for your work.

You can't discount that in the final analysis, it is possible that your rifle simply doesn't like SSTs, for whatever reason. However, I have always found Hornady InterLock bullets to be well built, providing fine accuracy in a variety of platforms. Still, if adjusting your OAL fails to provide an improvement in accuracy, I would be inclined to secure a box of Ballistic Tips, or even a box of flat base InterLocks, to see if there is a significant difference in accuracy.

Let us know what you try next.

I have a interarms Mark X in 308 that hates boattail bullet, Ive had very good luck with the 150gr sierra pro hunter in front of a charge of 748..

cramer":cj85bvtw said:
I am not new to reloading or working up loads, but so far I have gotten pretty lucky.
I put together a deer rifle with a McGowan 1:10 22" SS sporter barrel in 308. I started working up loads in .5 gr increments of IMR4064 under a Hornady SST 150 gr bullet.

I started testing each load in groups of 3, waiting a full minute between shots. I never got a group smaller than 3" at 100 yards. That being said, all groups had a consistent POI.

Other than verifying that scope and mount were tight, and that it is not a bedding issue, what would be a good starting point to make adjustments? Bullet weight? TIA.

Cramer: Have you shot any factory load groups? If you have, were they better than your hand loads? The reason I'm asking is that maybe your rifle has some bedding problems or something other than your hand loads. That said I have a .270 that 140 SST's shot groups like you are talking while the same basic load with Nosler ballistic tips shot well under m.o.a. so did Hornady Interlock flat base in 130 grain. Some rifles just hate boat tail bullets which your SST's are! If you have shot good groups previously we know your shooting technique is probably not the issue.

good luck

A couple of idea's my 308 has always shot well but with a little tweaking it shot stellar. I would first try adjusting the AOL. Mine bullets are seated slightly shorter than factory spec's. My rifle did not like 4064 so I tried Varget then RL-15. Group size got smaller. Mine shoots better with standard primers than magnum. My best shooting bullets are the Nosler CC, and Sierra Match King. Even though I have tried a variety of different cases it likes WW the best. Start working out some loads slowly, and only change one component at a time. That's the best I can do.

cramer":3nooi0kv said:

Two ? what did you work up to and have you tried a different primer.

Personally I would look to a 150 gr Sierra pro hunter #2130, and a mild load of Varget, 8203xbr, or BlC,2.
In a pinch Ramshot TAC maybe worth a try, I would defintley be making the move to a flat based bullet, I would do this to develop a baseline and see what I can ring out of a barrel. Once a base is established then I experiment with different bullets.
I have not loaded a bunch of the SST's but I have had some issues getting the same consistency in .30 cal 165 gr as I had with other bullets including a plain old interloc in the same weight.

baltz526":30ipeuqe said:
cramer":30ipeuqe said:

Two ? what did you work up to and have you tried a different primer.
I honestly don't remember but I want to say 46.5 gr. I'll have to consult my notes. I have not tried anything other than CCI larges.

Thanks for the replies guys. I would like to find a pill that works with 4064, just to keep the variety of powder I need at a minimum. Maybe a flat base is the next step. Wind permitting I will get out this weekend.

How many shots do you have down the new barrel? In my new Remington 308, after about 50 shots it was like a switch was flipped and the gun shot better and better. I would think your McGowan would break in quicker but who knows. I like 4064 in my 308's, as well as Varget and IMR 4895. Try a Sierra or Nosler bullet next. Try 165/168 gr bullets too. They are a natural fit with most 308's it seems.

If a .308 Winchester won't shoot 150gr. Ballistic Tips well with (i.e. <= 1.5 MOA ) then something is wrong with the rifle. ;-)

You absolutely need to establish a baseline accuracy model with a quality factory load or basic 150 FB cup and core handload. I would grab a box of Black hills 155 or 168 grain match or hornady 150 SP. Carefully record 5 shot groups and keep this for your records. Reserve 5 rounds for future testing after 500 or so down the tube.

Use this as a yardstick, you should be able to equal or exceed groups with almost any bullet unless your rifle is particularly fussy.

As far as handloading options, your rifle should shoot 4064 well. I have yet to find a medium cartridge that won't. You might try a different primer or varied charge weight, but I would ditch the 150 SST. I shot a few deer with them and did not like the results. Accuracy was also mediocre vs. Speer 150 SP, Nos 150 PT and Hornady 150 BTSP also tested.

My wife shoots a 150 speer Hot core over 44 gr 4064, PRVI brass, SB primer and it's consistently MOA or slightly better. Used to shoot 47gr, was equally accurate but was a touch on the warm side for her. A few grains less made her box stock Savage 11 much more pleasant to shoot. Drops deer like a hammer.

Ya, with a .308, I usually start with:

165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, or Sierra SPBT, or maybe the 168 match bullets from either maker

Varget. RL-15 is good as well.

Federal 210 match primers. Sometimes CCI benchrest primers.

I've not yet met a .308 that didn't shoot such a load rather well.

Guy

DrMike":28msz169 said:
You can't discount that in the final analysis, it is possible that your rifle simply doesn't like SSTs, for whatever reason. However, I have always found Hornady InterLock bullets to be well built, providing fine accuracy in a variety of platforms. Still, if adjusting your OAL fails to provide an improvement in accuracy, I would be inclined to secure a box of Ballistic Tips, or even a box of flat base InterLocks, to see if there is a significant difference in accuracy.

Let us know what you try next.
Great advice from Dr. Mike.

If you can, get a box or two of factory ammo and have someone watch your shooting technique. There could be an inconsistency you're not aware of with how you set up, shoot, and follow through. Don't rule out going to a heavier bullet, such as one of the 165gn pills.

Keep us posted on developments.

29a9d21dea69031ccd70d789eccac946.jpg

I found some loads I had worked up from previous tests of the 150 gr SST. This fairly typical of all the loads I have tried with those projectiles. Sitting over 44.5 gr of 4064.

29a9d21dea69031ccd70d789eccac946.jpg

I found some loads I had worked up from previous tests of the 150 gr SST. This fairly typical of all the loads I have tried with those projectiles. Sitting over 44.5 gr of 4064.

Back