308 load development 125 gr Sierra PH

BretN

Handloader
Jan 22, 2015
Tried IMR 4895 with Sierra 125 gr PH bullets in my Remington 783 in 308. The idea here is the inexpensive gun and load will work well for my daughters. Tried H414, Sierra's accuracy load, and did manage a .70" group.

But I've never seen any powder work like IMR 4895 did today. The groups hardly opened up. Best groups to date by far with this rifle. I think the barrel isbroke in now. Hopefully, I attached this crummy cell pic OK.

Best group was the starting load 41 gr (below book start, but the Sierra guys thought I could go as low as 40 gr) at .372". That'll do and really easy shooting. The max load was .472". Worst group with this combo was .77". I've never had tested loads of varying charge weights group that tightly. Only modification to the gun is adjusting the trigger. I'm really happy with this $259 gun + $100 Nikon buckmasters scope set up. Thanks for your help as I've been working on this.

Attachments

• IMG_20150806_172546255.jpg
    IMG_20150806_172546255.jpg
    942.6 KB · Views: 278
I have killed a boat load of deer with a 308 loaded with 46 grs IMR4895 under a 125 gr Nosler ballistic tip. It is a tack driving load in about any rifle.

Looks like you knocked that one out of the park. Very nice work, that rifle is shooting great.

You have every reason to be pleased with that rifle. That load will hunt.

Must be nice to see that much consistency. You have given your daughter a great tool to start hunting with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was really nice to see. Until this trip out, this gun hadn't shot like that at all. So I was beyond happy. The other gun I was shooting yesterday was my old 280, that I've been loading for over 20 years. It's anything but consistent. I have two good loads for it, and should just stop looking because when that pencil thin barrel doesn't like a load, it really doesn't like it.

Forgot to mention; The brass I used was HSM pre-primed that I picked up at Cabela's for $26, which I thought was a good deal. The brass worked great, but seemed to have slightly less capacity than the federal, Remington or Nosler brass I have used in my other 308. I didn't weight it but that's how it seemed. I was way under the Varget max and there was no room for more powder unless I really crushed it.

Also, now that I've used all 50 up, I contacted HSM to find out what kind of primers they use only to find they won't disclose that information for liability reasons. I understand that, but it's still a little disappointing. Hopefully, they were CCI's because that's what I've got.

I've run into that when buying primed brass. One think about reloading it won't cost a lot to load a few and see how the CCI's work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back