308 subsonic

Jimbeaux82

Handloader
Jan 6, 2011
I will be experimenting with 308 Win , 220 gr subsonic loads. Right now the only pistol powders I have available are Longshot and H110. has anyone had success using either powder? If not , what other powders have you had success with?

Thanks

Jimbeaux

I never shot 308 sub but did in other calibers and TrailBoss is what I used. With 220s barrel twist might need to be faster to stabilize bullet.
Good luck with your project.

The Nosler 220 gr BT was designed for the 300 Blackout velocities. Would be interesting in the 308 Win if it will stabilize.

JD338

lately I've only been using H4895 for reduced loads . I have messed with light bullets and light loads in a 308. I used IMR4198 . here is the info I have . it looks like you should be able to start at 24.0 and work up towards 28.0 . I've included some lighter bullets , so you can see the powder charge doesn't change much .

125 / 130 grain

P7200564.JPG

180 grain

P7200563.JPG

200 grain

P7200562.JPG

I guess great minds think alike! Lol. May have to drop to a 200 gr or even 180 gr to stabilize. I was hoping to use 220 gr BT’s but now understand they don’t stabilize in normal 308 twists. Only data I’ve seen for subs is with Trailboss. Maybe I can locate some. Yesterday I ordered a Ruger American rifle in 300 BO and will play with that as well. What twist rate do I need to stabilize the 220 gr BT?

Your new Ruger would have a way faster twist (1:7) will have no problem with 220gr. TrailBoss is impossible to find unless you know someone who has some.

according to quickload the Hornady RN , 220 grain bullet is 1.283" long . the Nosler Partition is 1.370" long . I don't have a 220 grain ballistic tip listed .

here is a link to Berger's twist rate calculator .

https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

here is a question I have , how slow can you have a jacketed bullet go ?

I seem to remember reading that below a certain speed you should go to a lead bullet , that jacketed bullets could get stuck . I'd have to do some digging on this to try to find what I seem to remember reading .

I've done a fair amount of reduced loads , but never to this low of velocity .

I have an AR 15 in 300 BO. I was able to develop some good subsonic loads for it with 220 gr jacketed bullets and H110 powder. Problem was when I put a suppressor on it it would not cycle reliably with the 220 gr BT's. That is why I am going to a bolt action rifle in 300 BO. Since all of the major ammo companies offer jacketed bullets in subsonic loads for 300 BO, I will assume there is no problem going subsonic with jacketed bullets. I had no issues with bullets getting stuck in barrels with those I reloaded.

I, like you, use H4895 when making reduced loads in the 2000-2400 fps with normal deer calibers and have used the 65% rule successfully. Not sure you can get down to subsonic levels with it.

Guy,

thanks for the data. I'll be very interested in the results of your latest project on 308 subs!

Jimbeaux

Back