.30cal partition vs. .30cal partition protected point

ps300wm

Beginner
Aug 5, 2005
My question is this. Other than the lead tip. Are there any other differences between these two bullets dimensionally, or otherwise? If not does the lead tip really make that much difference in the B.C. ? Looking at the published B.C.s and trajectory doesn't really match my experience shooting these two bullets side by side out to 300yds in the 300 win. mag. . I just don't see a measurable difference in trajectory. I have a hard time seeing the soft lead tip even suriving the trip down the barrel at 3000 plus feet per second. Also the same set of questions applied to the 200gr. .30 cal Partition component bullet and the 300 win. mag. 200gr. Partition in the federal premium high energy load. Any comments or obeservations will be welcome, and of course facts will be appreciated.

"The protected point is made for magazines like the 300 Win Mag.
Same bullet, just one has a blunt nose."
-Nosler

I like the pp because those noses get squished and/or bent over anyway. This is like a preventative measure, like you said it is likely to happen on the way down the barrel anyhow.

mshaffer do you have any thoughts on the BC of this bullet and how it's trajectory compares with the regular version of this bullet?

Think your way out into the field. Does the deer/elk/caribou/etc care about the bc? How much difference is it really going to make on paper, let alone in the field? Besides, if you are going to load up your mag with the sp's in your 300 and fire off 4 shots, by the time you get to the 3rd and 4th what is the bc of those squished nosed bullets? Have you ever taken a bent nosed bullet and rolled it straight on the tailgate and loaded 'er up? Realistically terminal performance is what we are concerned with if we're loading Partitions. Otherwise switch to a bullet like the AccuBond for the .308 cal. and you won't have to worry about that lower bc anymore. :wink:

not really concerned with the bc at all just curious. my experience is like yours. animals dont read magazines,books, or do theoretical math problems. yes, i have rolled noses straight more than once or for that matter filed them off when i ran out of protected points. i have considered accubonds but just cant make myself switch. partiitions have done all i could ever ask and more. basically it is 100 degrees in western ok now and all this takes my mind off the time i have to wait for elk season in oklahoma and the elk tag i drew in new mexico. i have been loading alot and shooting a little. range time is short because of the heat. in the end i will probably go with the fed. premium 200gr. Partition load. it really unwires an elk, and in real life shooting has an amazingly flat trajectory. thanks for the comments.

There is no difference in construction between the PT and the PT PP other than the lead nose. Nosler actually designed the PP for the 300 Win Mag. It allows the bullet to be seated further out in the case giving more case capacity while maintaining the same COL.

Regards,

JD338

The Protected Point was developed solely to protect the point in magnum rifles. Yes B.C. are affected but I like to double check trajectories in the field. I hope that helps.

Back