.338-06 AI, Win 70 link to Gunbroker ad now!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
It's on Gunbroker now - link: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =472331031

Somebody here NEEDS this rifle guys...

A couple of hours ago at my Local Gun Shop, handing out flyers for an upcoming self-defense class, I found quite a rifle...

A custom built Win Model 70, with some rather nice wood, a slim-trim stock, what appears to be either parkerized or matte blue finish, with an older (but good) 2-7x Redfield (one of the models with the five gold stars, those were good scopes, I have one).

Chambered in .338-06 AI.

Rifle has sights as well.

The whole thing looks rather nice, I neglected to take a photo of it. My bad. They were still sort of wavering on the asking price, and it's likely to go on Gunbroker for auction soon. Let me know if you want me to put you in contact with the store. It's a NICE rifle! (y)

Guy

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhh!
Stop it!
I have a 338-06 and want an AI version bad. No reason, just 'cause.
Guy, that is a seriously cool cartridge and rifle. I know you are not in an acquistion phase but man, that one would have come home with me if it was right.
This site is the absolute worst for enabling, though I don't fault you. :grin:
Seriously, that would be a nice midground between the 375 and your 25-06.

Guy,

Sounds like a nice rifle and would certainly be a thumper.

JD338

At one time I had a 338/06, I consider it as a very fine, efficient cartridge. It was easy to load for and really had great ballistics, with a wide variety of great bullets. I would still have it, if the rifle that was chambered for it, would have hit in the same place twice. When I rebuilt my 721, I had two choices the 338/06, or the 35 Whelen. I went with the Whelen.

Yes, CRF Win 70 action. Pretty slick too. Didn't try the trigger. Looks like the good old SIMPLE Model 70 trigger, which I like a lot.

Didn't measure the barrel, looks like 22" - 24" though. Not short, not long.

I can find out more, and maybe get a photo or two as well. One heck of a rifle... Too much like my .375 Model 70 for me. Too much overlap. Very nice rifle.

Guy

Yeah, a bit of overlap, I agree, Guy.
While it is never my intention to talk someone out of a rifle they don't have you would be hard pressed to find something the 25-06 and .375 Ouch & Ouch wouldn't cover.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Guy you are going about this enabling thing completely wrong! We need some photographs to entice us a bit more. You of all people should know that! :p :grin:

Vince":1r1086yv said:
While it is never my intention to talk someone out of a rifle they don't have you would be hard pressed to find something the 25-06 and .375 Ouch & Ouch wouldn't cover.

Vince

Oh, I have NO intention of buying it, but thought someone here might want to consider it... Great rifle, but I've learned there can be many wonderful things out there in this big world, that I don't need to buy... :mrgreen:

The .338-06 would probably be a better choice of "medium" cartridge for me than is the .375, but the .375 is what I've got and I'm happy with it. Have enough brass & bullets for a lifetime of shooting and hunting with it too.

Guy

Guy Miner":radeztct said:
Vince":radeztct said:

Vince

Oh, I have NO intention of buying it, but thought someone here might want to consider it... Great rifle, but I've learned there can be many wonderful things out there in this big world, that I don't need to buy... :mrgreen:

The .338-06 would probably be a better choice of "medium" cartridge for me than is the .375, but the .375 is what I've got and I'm happy with it. Have enough brass & bullets for a lifetime of shooting and hunting with it too.

Guy
It's a very good cartridge, either the standard version or the AI version. As much as I like the 35 Whelen, the 338-06 is actually a better cartridge...... I know, I can almost hear the boos, but the S.D. is better, plus be pushed faster, and a lot of great bullets out there. Sure the Whelen has better frontal area, and will show better effects at the shot. But the 338-06 can push the 200's faster then even the 30-06, and is an even better Elk round when the distances don't get stretched.

I always wanted one, If I didn't have a lot of money wrapped up in my '89 Mauser 35 Whelen I'd be eager to jump all over that if the price was right, and I new the history of the rifle.

Low recoil, plenty of good cases out there to form the brass. I even have some Woodleighs that would work real well in that case that have a lot of frontal area that could duplicate the whelen in 250's. But I already have too many guns, and a custom Mauser in a High Tech Stock with Sunny Hill bottom metal that needs to be used more...... and I wish I could but something like that in my artillery but that's got Guy's name written all over it! (y)

longrangehunter":25mngcme said:
Guy Miner":25mngcme said:
Vince":25mngcme said:

Vince

Guy
It's a very good cartridge, either the standard version or the AI version. As much as I like the 35 Whelen, the 338-06 is actually a better cartridge...... I know, I can almost hear the boos, but the S.D. is better, plus be pushed faster, and a lot of great bullets out there. Sure the Whelen has better frontal area, and will show better effects at the shot. But the 338-06 can push the 200's faster then even the 30-06, and is an even better Elk round when the distances don't get stretched.

I always wanted one, If I didn't have a lot of money wrapped up in my '89 Mauser 35 Whelen I'd be eager to jump all over that if the price was right, and I new the history of the rifle.

Low recoil, plenty of good cases out there to form the brass. I even have some Woodleighs that would work real well in that case that have a lot of frontal area that could duplicate the whelen in 250's. But I already have too many guns, and a custom Mauser in a High Tech Stock with Sunny Hill bottom metal that needs to be used more...... and I wish I could but something like that in my artillery but that's got Guy's name written all over it! (y)

Well said Cole!! David "needs" this to compliment his 280AI!

nvbroncrider":7zb5o9x2 said:
Well said Cole!! David "needs" this to compliment his 280AI!

interesting you state this as a compliment to the 280ai, that is exactly what my 338-06ai is.

I have a .243, a .280ai, and a .338-06ai although not a "collection" like some, I figure for simplicity I have all of my bases covered for pretty much anything I do hunt or may care to hunt in the future

Oldtrader3":2nny7bjf said:
You need a .338-06 Guy, especially a Model 70?
He sure does, matter of fact it found him! Can't let go of something that comes to you, besides, the 375 H&H is a little over kill. Unless you just so happen to live in Alaska, or Africa.

The 338-06 would be a much better fit for the type of hunting Guy does, plus he'll make sure he gets close enough to pull it off.

I bet he's back there running the bolt today, putting the dead eye on it with the mounted animal in their and wondering why it's calling out his inner spirit to take it home with him!

...Guy, you should really go back & take a couple, 3 or 4, 1/2doz. photos, run the action a few times, inspect the bore, the fit & finish, pull the trigger a couple of times, w/ permission of course. You know, take a good, close look @ 'er... :? :roll: :twisted: :lol: :mrgreen:

Not a chance guys. :mrgreen:

I'm done with that rifle, though if I hear when it goes on Gunbroker, or anyone is interested in it, I could post up the info.

Between a .30-06, a .300 WSM and a .375... I REALLY don't need a .338 of any sort. Or even want one. But I do admire it, a good rifle chambered in a good cartridge. The shop hadn't even priced it when I saw it. I think they're intent on putting it up for auction.

Regards, Guy

Sounds like a nice one though. I love to see well put together rifles in useful cartridges like the 338 and 35 Whelen.

Guy Miner":15jd7b2c said:
Yes, CRF Win 70 action. Pretty slick too. Didn't try the trigger. Looks like the good old SIMPLE Model 70 trigger, which I like a lot.

I can find out more, and maybe get a photo or two as well. One heck of a rifle... Too much like my .375 Model 70 for me. Too much overlap. Very nice rifle.

Guy

Overlap schmoverlap! (says the guy with six .300 magnums...)

BK":kamq5qmb said:
Guy Miner":kamq5qmb said:

Guy

Overlap schmoverlap! (says the guy with six .300 magnums...)

Yeah just think then you could get rid of the 06 and get a 6.5 or 7mm.

26 Nosler or 280AI!!

Just saw the rifle again yesterday, at the shop. It's beautiful.

Here's a link to the Gunbroker ad:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =472331031

Somebody here needs this rifle...

BTW - those older Redfield scopes with the gold stars were very well made and highly regarded back in their day. I have one now still, on a .30-06 rifle. It's clear and reliable. Very nice older scopes. Still useful.

Guy

Back