338 Alaskan Range day

pre6422hornet

Handloader
Jan 24, 2012
Well I finally had a chance to burn some range time with a couple rifles that needed shot :)

First up is the 1960 338 Alaskan: I am waiting for some Talley mounts to show up but I had some Redfield bases laying around and some Weaver mounts so I mounted them up with a brand new Burris C4 3x9x40. I was a bit disappointed at first as when I mounted the Burris up with the low rings, the bolt handle would rub both the power ring and the rear eyepiece. I really didn't want to use medium rings, but I had a set of those as well. Guess I will have to wait and see what happens with the Talleys when they come.

Here she is mounted up.

I ran 250 gr Partitions over 64 grains of IMR 4350 for a book published speed of 2510 FPS. Through the Chrono over 20 shots I averaged 2606 FPS with a slowest of 2589 and a fastest recorded at 2620. The load was very consistent.

As I was ending the range session I let the rifle cool completely and checked her over for loose screws.... DOH I had forgot to tighten the forearm screw the night before when I had her apart and cleaned her. I distinctly remember saying to myself "Pat you left the forearm screw loose, tighten it at the range before you shoot."

Not having a screwdriver with me I decided to burn the last three shots anyway.

100 yards. 30 seconds inbetween shots.

group measured .89 inches. I am very happy. Not bad for a 54 year old rifle with a split in two places stock :eek: The rifle seems to group the first two on top of one another and the third drifts a bit. Could be barrel heat, probably is the loose screw behind the trigger, er wait I mean the forearm.

For this being the first time at the range with a 338wm I was awfully impressed. I don't plan on deviating from this load much, maybe some 210 Partitions. I have been told by Scotty and Charlie that the 338 and IMR4350 is a great combo and man they weren't wrong.

The only negative was the 54 year old red Winny recoil pad is so hard and slick I could feel the butt sliding every so slightly when I would start bearing down on the shot. I will have to scuff it up or when I finish the new stock for it, I will put a newer red Winny pad on it. Here is the new one I just started. It is far from ready :)

Very encouraging, Pat. Wow, another beautiful stock in process. That rifle will hunt.

That's a very nice looking rifle. When you get the stock issues worked out and sure looks like it's going to be a tack driver. Very nice.

Pat, the .338WM seems to be shooting pretty well already. I have to use medium mounts on all of my new scopes because of bolt clearance issues on the eyepiece ring. When I put both of the Zeiss HD-5's (42mm objective) on my Mauser and Model 70 rifles I had to use medium mounts on both to clear the bolt handle.

My red recoil pad on my 42 year old Custom Mauser is getting hard as well and needs to be replaced. Even with the 7mm mag it is bruising my shoulder badly.

Pat,

Very nice work buddy.
Looking forward to seeing the new furniture.

JD338

Way to go Pat. That rifle looks pretty familiar... Seems like it may have been born from the same tree and blank of steel!

Pat,
Nice work man. You and Scotty are loaded for bear with those Alaskans. What a classy rifle!
Joe

Back