338 cal 200 gr E-Tip

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
I tested the 338 cal 200 gr E-Tip in my 338 RUM. Using a COL of 3.620" and 90.5 grs RL 22 yielded am MV of 3111 fps from the M700 LSS 26 inch barrel. Accuracy was well under an inch, I can't give you an exact size because I forgot to take the target down! I recovered two bullets at 100 yds that were shot into water filled milk jugs, both found in jug #6. The first bullet weighed 197.1 grs, expanded to .738" and the second weighed 197.0 grs, expanded to .748".
338RUM200grE-Tip.jpg

338RUM200grainE-Tip.jpg

JD338

Great test results.I have an old Sako Safari grade .338 Winchester that I haven't shot in twenty years.May get it out and try a box of those bullets.
So how about the copper fouling with those bullets?About the same as others?

I too have been working up a 338RUM 200ET load. My current recipe is:
Fed brass
GM215M
93gn of IMR 7828SSC
COL: 3.645 got about MOA but I'm still working on it.
Velocity: added to the list of loads to chrono

Here's my first group size with the above recipe.
338-200ET.jpg

Sorry Jim, didn't mean to hijack your thread, but figured why start a new topic on the same subject.

Nice pics for the next Nosler catalog!! What ya gonna hunt with them big tough bullets? CL

str8meat":2doul1x8 said:
whats the bc on the e tips?

I do not know but I have asked the question and will post it ASAP.

JD338

Wow, that little 200gr ETip would be a good long range round at about 3000 out of a 338 Win Mag, and since it holds up so well, it would probably do as well as a lead/copper 225.. I might try them if I can find some seconds. I would like to see a 225gr ETip in 338. That would be an awesome elk/bear load for the 338. Probably better for penetration than any of the 250's out there. Scotty

I agree, a 225 gr E-Tip would be an awesome bullet, penetration almost into tomorrow.

JD338

Ridge_Runner":mvp0j28w said:
noslers website lists the BC as .425
RR

I know, its being double checked.

JD338

JD338":qbuvk0d7 said:
I agree, a 225 gr E-Tip would be an awesome bullet, penetration almost into tomorrow.

JD338

I agree!!!!

I am going to try and get the 180gr E-Tip to shoot in my 300Wby. Sure hope I can. It would be a very good penetrating bullet and the BC would help down range flight if I can some good velocity. I am going to try IMR7828, RL-22, and RL-25.

Be nice if it would have at least 1 1/4" - 3/4", I really could live with that.

JD338":5x3yk0yy said:
Ridge_Runner":5x3yk0yy said:
noslers website lists the BC as .425
RR

I know, its being double checked.

JD338

Well of all the bullets I've ever checked, the publlished BC has been wrong with the exception of 1, which was a lapua scenar.

The fabulous AccuBond I shoot exclusively in my 7mm Allen Mag, has a published BC of .531. In order for my drop charts to match my trajectory I have to run a BC of .62 in my program.
If you put all the data in, and you know its right, (height of scope, actual MV, bar pressure, temp, humidity, and you shoot progressively higher at 400, 500, and 600 yards it has to be the bullets BC in the conditions you shoot. I run my drops out to 1K+ and always hafta adjust the BC. once its right, your limited by your "up" adjustment and your ability to judge wind.
RR

I'm impressed with the bullet expansion. So much nicer that TSX and they opened up big for maximum energy transfer. I may have to try them for myself. It sounds like the B.C. isn't what the AccuBond is but plenty good to 500 yds. Jim have you done any long range expansion tests with them or has Nosler published same?
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

The 180gr .30 caliber works great in my .300 Win Mag. The two I pulled out of a 275+- pound hog I shot at 85+- yards look exactly like those there.....

Colin
Havn't heard from you much lately. Thank you for the report. I wil try the e-tips based on your findings. Thank you for the info.
I don't know where you hunt but it must be hog heaven!
Thank You
Greg

Hi,
I am about to load some of these for the first time ( 200 gr .338 E-Tips)
My previous 200gr load was 77gr of H4350 giving me 3180 to 3210 fts. I am hopeing to duplicate these velocities with the E-Tips. My question is what charge to start with? The one manual I have only lists a maximum load. the other only has a 210gr bullet. I am thinking I will start at 68gr. and move up in 1gr increaments to 70gr. then .5grs from there. I thought I would ask on here to see if anyone thought this too agressive.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Back