338 Powder

68gr IMR 4350 and the Nosler 250 usually is the ticket. I used H4350 and tweeked it a bit, even used it on the 185XLC. I did have an incident with R19 one year. Had a load worked up in late fall under the 185XLC. About a week before my late winter cow elk hunt, I tried it and groups were about 6", checked velocity was almost 200fps slower...but it was 10 degrees! I went home and pulled the bullets, and had to scrape the R19 out, it was a solid block. I went to H4350 and killed my elk with it. I have tried to use Hodgdon Extreme powders or known temperature stable powders ever since. I have not noticed any problems with normal loads in hot weather, its the extreme cold ( time I like to hunt cow elk) that has been something to keep an eye on. Also, Only 250 Hornady I had any luck with was in the 35 Whelen AI, never in the 338 WM. The 225 Hornady was finicky also. Try the 225 TSX or Nosler. Good luck to you.

Oldtrader3":3t71soua said:
I used IMR 4350 for many years (1969 on) for the .338 WM and never had any issues.

What bullet weights if I may so inquire?

Tomorrow will be my last attempt with IMR 7828 and the 250's. I'm also going to try the H4831 and see if what kind of results I get.
Once I'd like to get good result without a lot of work but so far is not to be so onward I toil.

Vince

Vince":phvq3dzz said:
Oldtrader3":phvq3dzz said:
I used IMR 4350 for many years (1969 on) for the .338 WM and never had any issues.

What bullet weights if I may so inquire?

I almost always used the 210 PT and the 225 PT. For Roosevelt elk, I used the 275 Speer, just so I would find them in the jungle.

preacher":9s5oc7zy said:
68gr IMR 4350 and the Nosler 250 usually is the ticket. I used H4350 and tweeked it a bit, even used it on the 185XLC. I did have an incident with R19 one year. Had a load worked up in late fall under the 185XLC. About a week before my late winter cow elk hunt, I tried it and groups were about 6", checked velocity was almost 200fps slower...but it was 10 degrees! I went home and pulled the bullets, and had to scrape the R19 out, it was a solid block. I went to H4350 and killed my elk with it. I have tried to use Hodgdon Extreme powders or known temperature stable powders ever since. I have not noticed any problems with normal loads in hot weather, its the extreme cold ( time I like to hunt cow elk) that has been something to keep an eye on. Also, Only 250 Hornady I had any luck with was in the 35 Whelen AI, never in the 338 WM. The 225 Hornady was finicky also. Try the 225 TSX or Nosler. Good luck to you.

Next on my list and thank you! :)

Back