338 RUM 250 gr AB

Bigcat_hunter":19oiqrm5 said:
Where did you get load info for your ultra & 250's? I just bought some and want to try them but cant find any info to load for them. I'd rather not blow my rifle up just guessing at it!

Using Nosler's info for 250 Partitions.

I was able to get a couple of boxes from Graf & Sons. I think they're out now. MidwayUSA is saying an ETA of 14 July, but they also said ETAs of 3 July and 7 July. Good luck on the quest for 338 250ABs.

Bigcat_hunter":39vyh7md said:
Where did you get load info for your ultra & 250's? I just bought some and want to try them but cant find any info to load for them. I'd rather not blow my rifle up just guessing at it!

I used the Hodgdon 2008 Basic Reloader's Manual and then I had Pop run it on Quick Load.

JD338

Good job on this post. I just got some of these for my 338 RUM custom. My sons had the rifle built for me for my birthday one year. It has a 30 inch Lilja #5 contour fluted barrel on it. My Older son uses the 160 gr for his 7mm mag, and has had great success with it. So I've just been waiting for Nosler to come out with a 250 gr bullet and they did. I'm loading some up today. Can't wait to try it, I just hope that I can get the same results you all did. I have been using Sierra's and they just don't hold up to the velocities I shoot, they just come apart when they hit something. I'll try and keep you posted on my results, Rob Sr.

I went out to the range this morning, wind conditions were 22 mph gusting to 31 mph. Not the best of conditions for 300 yd load development!
I did shoot into water jugs at 300 yds and recovered 2 250 gr AB's.
#1 has an expanded diameter of .639" and weighs 148.2 grs. #2 expanded to .708" and weighed in at 148.4 grs. Both bullets were recovered in the 6th water jug.
338RUM250grAB300yds.jpg

JD338

Man Jim! your family must consume milk like mad!!!!

POP,
That makes me laugh... I was going to comment on the same thing yesterday.
Heck I even tried to capture a 130gr AB out of my .260 @ 100yds.. thought 3 would do the trick but...noooooooo
It'll be another month before I have 6 jugs to attempt this again...

Powerstroke":3a3d66bc said:
POP,
That makes me laugh... I was going to comment on the same thing yesterday.
Heck I even tried to capture a 130gr AB out of my .260 @ 100yds.. thought 3 would do the trick but...noooooooo
It'll be another month before I have 6 jugs to attempt this again...

Acquiring 6 jugs would take about 3 weeks to get. Yes, I do drink milk like mad, usually 2-3 gal a week. :grin:

I shot this group at dusk from a clean oiled barrel to adjust for a 200 yd zero.
338 RUM 250 gr AB, 3 shots went .412"
338RUM250grAB412.jpg

JD338

That looks great JD. I just hope my 338RUM will shoot that well.
I just loaded up some 200AB to break in the barrel. I'm now waiting for my gunsmith to work his magic on the trigger and get it back to me.

Shot this group at 200 yds to confirm my zero. I retightened the rings which caused my first shot to be off. Made my adjustment and shot the next two that went .412". Now don't ask me why I did this, but I went 2 clicks south and fired my final shot.
338RUM250grAB200yds1078.jpg

JD338

Looks like great accuracy, and to think it's a factory rifle to boot. :grin:

My nephew and I shot our 338 RUMs at 515 yds in a very remote gated gravel pit. Due to time constraints, we decided to shoot at some rocks instead of steel plates. We shot prone position, using my MTM shooting box and a back pack as our crude rest. A canvas shirt and a sweat shirt was converted into a shooting mat.

Up first was my nephew. With a 200 yd zero, he dialed in 7 MOA and fired 2 shots. Through my spotting scope there were no hits but I did see the vapor trail of the second shot go over the rock. readjusting to 6+2, the next 3 shots were direct hits into the 18" rock.

Now my turn. Same load and 200 yd zero. I dialed in 6+2 MOA and put my first 3 shots into the same rock. I moved to a smaller 12" rock and put the next two 250 gr AB's into it. I took 4 more shots at the same rock, hitting it 3/4 times. The wind was picking up and my forth shot just drifted enough to just miss the rock.

I need to go back to the ballistic calculator to determine my BC which I think will prove to be higher than the advertised .575 that I used to create my drop sheet.

Sorry, no camera with me but we will be back to this spot and I will have a camera with me.

JD338

Nice!!!

If ya wouldn't have done the 2 clicks, very well possibly could have been a 3 shot touching group at 200.

Definately let us know about the BC for the 250g AB.

POP":30n0kz36 said:
Jim

What can I say man....Awesome.

Thanks Pop.

She shoots like a dream, and its a factory rifle.
I am going to get some long shooting (1k+ yds) in once the corn is cut.

JD338

Back