.338 RUM

zacii

Beginner
Mar 5, 2015
If one was to be in the market for a .338 RUM, where would one look?

I see some Senderos on the used market, but it doesn't look like Remington is making them any more.

It seems that everyone either wants the .338 Win Mag, or the Lapua.

After browsing the Remington website, I don't see any rifles currently in that caliber. Start with local dealers, try Gun Broker (got my 375RUM - new from there). Just an FYI, brass for the RUM calibers is getting hard to find. I've been buying whatever SPS lists Nosler 338RUM brass.

I would keep an eye on gunbroker, gunsamerica and any other on line source.
I have a 700 LSS that shoots lights out. Great round. Last I knew, they were offering in the XCR
and Sendero II models. I just don't understand why Remington doesn't offer it any longer.

JD338

The first time I saw a .338 RUM cartridge, I thought "Now that's a great use for all that powder."

And I felt the same way about the .375 RUM. Just seems like those two medium-bore cartridges make best use of that prodigious powder capacity.

It wouldn't be that hard to re-barrel any RUM rifle to .338 Rem Ultra Mag.... (y) Maybe with a really nice custom tube...

The gun-builders among us might be able to answer this better - would it be fairly easy to convert a .300 Win mag or 7mm Rem mag Remington 700 to take the .338 Rem Ultra Mag? Doesn't seem like a huge chore...

Guy

Easy, get a wyatt extended mag box, an ultra mag follower, and maybe a touch or two with a file to ensure feeding, or better yet a center feed mag box. I wouldn't stop there, I would definitely go with an edge over standard rum. Easier to find brass and a touch better performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, you can always go the 338 Edge route. 338 Edge uses the 300 RUM brass and can achieve more FPS than the 338 RUM. For some reason the 338 RUM has the shortest brass length of the RUMs. I believe the 7, 300, & 375 use the same length of brass. I also think the 300 RUM brass is easier to get than the other three.

Wasn't it Remingtonman 25-06 that had one a few years back, OK, maybe more like 10 years.

With the 338 RUM dying as stated above I think waiting until next year and getting a 33 Nosler would solve all your problems.

26NosFan":1hjt8jyz said:
With the 338 RUM dying as stated above I think waiting until next year and getting a 33 Nosler would solve all your problems.

Nosler has shortened the shoulder on the 33Nosler I think I would do a 338-26Nosler. I am.

Scott

Back