338 ultra mag

str8meat

Handloader
Jul 20, 2008
1 load was 93 gr. 7828 230 gr. failsafe retained wt. 228 gr
1 load was 97 gr. h1000 250 gr. AccuBond retained 128 gr.

shot was 100 yds. thru 4" newspaper and bullets were in the 3rd catalog.

huge hole from ab

Attachments

• 338 ultra.jpg
    338 ultra.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 3,025
Nice!
Ya just gotta love the raw horse power of the 338 RUM.

JD338

And on game performance is a sight to behold. 8)

JD338

They do up the power over standards quite alot. Serious game taking ability.

I can also vouch for the 250AB out of a 338RUM. My bull moose last fall really didn't like the combination much.

Yup ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^what Richracher 1 said!!!!!!!

I built a .338 RUM for last years hunting season.........the typical Rem 7000, McGowan barrel and H-S stock and bottom metal............250 Accubonds at 2950!!!!

2.5 hrs. into the Elk hunt a cow and calf walked onto the cutline and one round to the cows shoulders and the game was all over!!!!!!

I have shot the .340 Weatherby for many years but find the .338 RUM can easily obtain this velocity and not have to be pushed like the 'bee.

Great cartridge and in my opinion "The KING of Elk Cartridges"

apapro":1p5eahge said:

I built a .338 RUM for last years hunting season.........the typical Rem 7000, McGowan barrel and H-S stock and bottom metal............250 Accubonds at 2950!!!!

2.5 hrs. into the Elk hunt a cow and calf walked onto the cutline and one round to the cows shoulders and the game was all over!!!!!!

I have shot the .340 Weatherby for many years but find the .338 RUM can easily obtain this velocity and not have to be pushed like the 'bee.

Welcome to the forum!

I like the way you think buddy.
We band of 338 RUM brothers. :mrgreen:

JD338

apapro":2h0af7zt said:

Welcome aboard buddy! That sounds like a nice rifle!

apapro":yadrjzjn said:

Any elk who ever walked the earth will die when hit by a 250 AccuBond at either 2890 (.340) or 2950 (RUM) fps MV and not tell the difference to as far as you can shoot and hit one and both will have 2000 FP+ of energy at 500 yards in either caliber.

Back