Old Faithful.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
What a grand old load for the -06. Can't hardly beat it for not having to do load work up. Has worked in everything I've ever run it through. Round nose, spitzer, doesn't matter. 180 gr C&C bullet, .060 off the lands, 56.2 grains of IMR 4350.

So a gent I know thinks he's likely to get drawn for an elk tag this yr. He has a box and a half of factory Remington 180 gr cor lokt's. He says he wont shoot past about 250 yds......I told him that 180 cor lokt out of an -06 would handle an elk just fine at those ranges.

The problem is/was, that his gun didn't shoot these very well at all according to him. Well over 2"

Pulled some bullets out of those factory loadings, measured to the lands on his gun, dumped the powder and loaded up with 56.2 IMR 4350 seated .060 off.

First time I tested it I thought I had a 1/4" group going with the first 2 shots....last shot was a flier. Still measured under an inch at .900

Tested it one more time this past Friday.......once again the 3rd shot was the farthest one out, but came in at .700. I'll pull the bullets on what's left in his boxes and load them up for him.

ST,

Load him up some 180 gr AB's. That would work really well for Elk!

JD338

JD338":uvem4is0 said:
ST,

Load him up some 180 gr AB's. That would work really well for Elk!

JD338

Don't have them......I did tell him that if he wants some type of premium bullet I could come up with some, but he wants to try and use what he got if it will work.

He has around 8 boxes of factory ammo in 180, different types but all common types......Winchester PP, Federal blue box SP, etc. Not what he bought for elk, just what he has.

Out of those I'd trust the Cor Lokts the best, especially at reasonable ranges. He told me before this that the cor lokts shot the worst out of his gun, but I don't think they are now.

I’d be curious as to how they would shoot with the factory powder but at your seating depth. What you have done is great, it just one of those inquiring minds want to know kind of thing.
Tell him good luck with the elk hunt.

BruceP":2z05ojyo said:
I’d be curious as to how they would shoot with the factory powder but at your seating depth. What you have done is great, it just one of those inquiring minds want to know kind of thing.
Tell him good luck with the elk hunt.

Wondered that same thing right from the get go when I got these results, but I hate to waste any of what's left of those factory bullets if that's what he's going to use. He could always pick up another box though.

Sure would make less work for me........seat them deeper at my length, hit em with the Lee fcd like I did on the ones I pulled and reworked, and done.

The factory seated length is running right against the lands on this rifle. It might not like that. I chrono'd 1 factory cartridge in this rifle and it ran about 50fps faster, but that could be because it's against the lands and higher pressure. Short throated bugger for a modern savage. My M70 is the shortest throated 06 I've run across, until now.

Back