.338 Win Mag for Moose

Can't have one without the other, being lucky doesn't hurt though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder how long it's been since bbearhntr has left a post on here ?
There is really nothing wrong with admitting you ate a tag........ I had to in
2012 on a goat hunt out of Petersburg. Hunted with an old time guide friend, in a good spot, the forecast was for two decent days and then rain to move in, but we figured we would be celebrating
A "Big Billy" back his place my the time the storm arrived. He has guided the area for 40 years and taken many nice goats from this mountain.
But the weather turned on us,after we had climbed for one whole day to get up to the goats, a horrible storm moved in ahead of its forecast, that got brutal. We were left no choice but to hightailed it back down to base camp (7 of the worst hrs you could ever imagine in torrential downpour as we tryed to descend off the mountain.
Though the worst conditions I have ever been in my life, it was so slippery and so
Steep , both of us fell numerous times; how no one got hurt, I will never know. The river
Had flooded over its banks, the base camp was washed away, the airplane was sitting in
6/8" of floodwater...... at that point it was about saving ones life , not weather you got a goat!
We left everything behind on a knob of ground and drained out all the gas we could and went
For it trying to get out of the mountains! We barely got airborne and actually caught a gust that
Pushed us back down and hit one tire in the river....... but she kept going. The whole hunt was one of The worst mess, and totally dangerous deals, I was ever been mixed up in. Expensive and heartbreaking total failure: Of a "trip from hell" it rains in that country, like I have "never seen before" for 9 days straight, I went to the airport for days
Trying to fly stand by till I finally paid an extra $400 to upgrade to First Class to get the ONE seat that was
Available on the Alaska flight to Seattle........ when we were climbing up thru 20,000 ft we broke out into bright sunshine, first time I had seen it since I got to Petersburg! After that hunt , and everything that went wrong; I can easily say that the mountains and weather around Petersburg Ak , truely whipped my as*

I don't look at any hunt as a failure just getting out and being there is a success story but then I've never done a guided hunt so I can't relate to that experience. I have found that due to my physical limitations I need some one to go along if I'm after big or dangerous game in the mountains or a piece of equipment that I can contact someone should I need help. As we get older everything changes and is more difficult to achieve our goals.

Yes sometimes I take my wife or sons, but most the time I am alone on my ATV/UTV. I moose hunt just 30 miles outside Fairbanks. So I text my wife frequently and she knows where I hunt. Grizzly bears are always on my mine I always like to get moose early so before dark I am done quartering and on the way out. Where I hunt the moose hide and graze in the birch patches and then come out at night to chase cows and feed, and most of the time I shoot them on the way back to the birch patches. I have hunted this area for almost 20 years now so all the moose know my name :) I also have good friends that hunt deeper in across the hill that are close by if needed. I usually try to get a moose every 2 years but I go every year still trying to get a nice grizzly rug.

7 bulls with 225gr AccuBond
3 Bulls with 225gr Swift A Frame

10 shots total from 50 yards to 483 yards
338 Win

Thebear_78":1vr1kidf said:
I'm loading the 250gr AccuBond for my buddies 338 win mag. So far its been very effective on caribou but still waiting for a test on moose. The 250gr Partition has always worked flawlessly.
>>> for a moose only trip 250 Partition all the way !!!! you want penetration from that high sectional density. I,ve taken 4 moose w/ that load. H4831, but many great powders out there.

The .338WM is at its best on Big Moose and Elk, I used it with 210 Nosler for many years lots of one shot kills,
Loads of them killed over 250yd shots, all the way out to 400 plus it works perfect if you do your part. You have picked a fine rifle and a perfect Moose caliber!
Good Luck with your recent purchase
Earle

I've always thought the .338 was the quintessential Alaska rifle, much like the .375 in Africa.
Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone ever considered loading the new 225gr E-tip? As good as the 200gr E-tip has worked for everyone, it seems like a 225gr version with a bit more sectional density and an even better BC would be out of this world. I imagine folks could get close to 2,800 FPS without leaning on it that hard. Just a thought...
V/R,
Joe

I’ve thought about it Joe, but I’ve never seen any of them for sale. Honestly with the way minis penetrate it might be hard to beat the 200, just cause you could start it a bit faster and I’m sure it will still penetrate like crazy.

Back