338 Win Mag

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
Hoping to pick up a 338 Win Mag in the morning. Got an order in at the Pro shop for some Partitions and E-tips.
Also ordered some 180 Accubonds and am wondering if anybody is using these 180s for deer loads. I want to use the heavier Partitions or E-tips for elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used 185 gr GMX in my 338 for Elk. Killed it with 1 shot. If I hunted near Grizzlies, I would probably want a heavier bullet.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

whit":cog348df said:
I used 185 gr GMX in my 338 for Elk. Killed it with 1 shot. If I hunted near Grizzlies, I would probably want a heavier bullet.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Just black bears here. That 185 sounds like it’s worth a look.

str8meat":1cq97x0o said:
I have had the best luck with 210 swift scirocco, rl 19 72 grain.
Thanks for the info. Haven’t used Swift bullets before but can look for some.

Alderman":3jrf5s3m said:
str8meat":3jrf5s3m said:
I have had the best luck with 210 swift scirocco, rl 19 72 grain.
Thanks for the info. Haven’t used Swift bullets before but can look for some.

Watch for pressure spikes with the swift scirocco the jacket material is soft and grabs the rifling harder then a 210 PT.

The handful of folks I know who shoot .338s all prefer the 210-225 grain bullets for elk and such. I don’t know why the 180s wouldn’t be perfectly adequate for deer.

A friend let me use his .338 Lapua flinging 270 grain ELDX last year to take my cow elk. Very impressive performance, one shot kill.

I don’t need a 338 but this looks like a pretty good deal. I’ve got 1/2 a notion to try an E-tip on an elk.
I was going to last year but didn’t get to the bench with the E-tips in the 300 Win Mag and ended up using an AccuBond which did just fine.
If I can get them to shoot I might.
We get two land owner tags for the place and the Grandson says he’ll take one this year. Makes for good eating.
I’ve shot lots of Partitions in several different rifles but it seems whenever I get onto game I’ve got some other bullet in the chamber.

RL19, RL17 and 4350 have worked real well.

RL15 with a 200-210 grain bullet is pretty nice around 2900 and there isn't an elk alive that'll like it. Around 65-66 grains of 15 with a good 210 is pretty decent. I use the 210 Swifts at 2950 with RL17. I have kinda stopped trying other bullets since this combo is very accurate and terminally it is nasty, opening very widely and just plows a big path!

I.know your Elk are heavier than our red stag, but I honestly doubt one will walk away (for more than x yards) with a well constructed bullet through the boiler-room.

If you go long distance, the bullet shouldn't be too hard. Otherwise, if you are able to hit where you want, prepare to pack out the meat...

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

I just loaded up some practice ammo for my old 338 Win..

Nosler Cases, CCI250, 72 grains of RL17 with the excellent 210 Swift on top. I have used 250's and 225's, but the little Swift really launches well and man it shoots well at distance.

Have only harvested game with the 338 Win Mag with Federal Premium 210 gr Partition ammunition.
Has worked very well on moose, elk, grizzly bear and bison!

I've used the 180 in the much smaller Federal, works great on deer, so more power would only be more better right?

Checked my 210 load at 300 last night.

I use the first dot in the 6x36 for the 210's.. Lines up real well out to 500.

Those 33's sure do impress most of the time. Hopefully I'll get it out to 400 and 500 soon to verify it. That old girl sure does like to hunt!

Alderman":1vputqfe said:
Hoping to pick up a 338 Win Mag in the morning. Got an order in at the Pro shop for some Partitions and E-tips.
Also ordered some 180 Accubonds and am wondering if anybody is using these 180s for deer loads. I want to use the heavier Partitions or E-tips for elk.

Yes on the deer load ! try the 225's for elk.

Back