33WCF

Scotty,
Having been mixed up in alot of 1886's over the years, bought and sold dozens of them I can tell you that 25 years sgo collectors would pay about double for a 45/70 over the .33W ?? I figured then that was not going to last......... sure enough
As the years have gone by the margin has gotten smaller and smaller. In 2003 I was at a gunshow looking for Deluxe Marlins
And some friends wanted me to check out a handsome 1886 PG Deluxe, it was a 33W. Everything was correct , the gun was minty , practically looked unhunted, and had the most fantastic.4X wood you would ever see on one. The guy had $4000 on
It. Laying right beside it was a 45/70, that had been heavily used , ELW configuration, with a poor bore, but compleatly right, although every screw in it, had had idiots on them with regular screwdrivers and where all butchered. The price was $4000, the caliber and configuration were its only vertues, So I told the young collector to offer the owner$ 3500, for the beautiful Deluxe 33,as I felt he would take it. And to push him along i also told him if he didn't by it; that I was planning on buying it right then! However I also gave him the option, if he did buy it, and if he ever got Buyers remorse, I would cover him anytime for the $3500. All his Winchester buddys told him they would have bought the 45/70 instead; because of the caliber. Even though he was very jumpy as he had never paid that much for a gun in his life, He took my advise, figuring he couldnt loose, and never looked back. The 33 Deluxe was spectacular, And as the years have passed things in his marriage Went south, he recently had to sell the gun, during a nasty divorce .That little 33W Deluxe fetched $12,700.................... so it isnt always about caliber! (y)
Danas33.jpg

Mike,
I am guessing the top 2/3 and she is just in the "family way" ?

Cheyenne I do not know much about the 33WCF but I do love seeing you putting a little spark in the Doc it nice to see him on the receiving end once in a while, it keeps him on his toes :lol:!!
Thank you for your input to this forum it is very informative and the injected homour is great as well.

Blessings,
Dan

Now, Cheyenne, my wife told me I wasn't going to go in a canoe with anyone. :shock: My goodness, she is hesitant to let me go afield with Gil! :lol: Granted, Gil can be some crazy at times. Remind me to tell you sometime about the day today with Gil and Susan. Suffice it to say that after I recover from sliding on the ice (I hate being a fallen preacher), whacking my knees and my head (well, it didn't really hurt the head, but, my goodness the knee is sore), repeatedly running pell-mell through the bush to find an appropriate log after the stale kale and feta wrap this morning (someone told me it was healthy) I may consider going hunting with Gil and Susan again. :?

I appreciate your insight and knowledge of the bush, dear girl. You've seen more of the true north than most of us ever dream about. Keep up the good work. (y)

sask boy":1rq4wk8a said:
Cheyenne I do not know much about the 33WCF but I do love seeing you putting a little spark in the Doc it nice to see him on the receiving end once in a while, it keeps him on his toes :lol:!!
Thank you for your input to this forum it is very informative and the injected homour is great as well.

Blessings,
Dan

Yeah, and those toes hurt, Dan. Sure enough tender today.

DrMike, I have seen how bad those knees give you grief:evil:. I hope that you will receive some relief in that department. However keeping you on your toes with the odd barb is great to see. 8)
If you were out with Gil & his lovely wife yesterday I can only imagine the conversation or should I say bantering that went on. I hope that Susan was able to get the odd word in on you & blkram.

Cheyenne living as far north as you do would be an adventure that most people would not understand unless they spent time up there.
I am glad though that we still have people on the forum that are up there showing us such a different life style.

Blessings,
Dan

Gil and Susan were laughing so hard at times they had trouble driving. I had explained that a cold, wet nose can be very, very dangerous. You see, Susan had made a comment about being cold. Women seem to object to us men driving around with the windows down and our heads hanging out of the vehicle. She commented that her nose was cold and wet, and I allowed that such a condition was extremely dangerous.

After a period of time she tentatively asked, "Why is it dangerous, Mike?"

I told her of one of the times I was late for school and the teacher asked if I had an excuse. I replied, "Yes, Ma'am."

"Well, I'm waiting."

"Well, Miss Harbert, you know that my dad likes to sleep in the all together..."

"No, I didn't know that and can't understand why that should matter."

"Well, ma'am, we've had a fox snooping 'round the hen house; and Dad said he intended to shoot that critter. So, he started keeping the shotgun loaded near the back door. Well, 'bout 1:30 last night those hens began to squawk and make a frightful noise. Dad was purty certain it was that fox. So, he jumped out of bed, grabbed the shotgun and crept out to the henhouse. He snuck up real quiet to the window to peek in, kinda' kneeling down to look over the sill real careful like. He though he saw the fox and raise the shotgun careful like. At that moment, ol' Ace, my dog, came up and rested his nose right on Dad's backside. And we've been cleaning chickens since 1:30 this morning."

Can't make the case too strongly--a cold, wet nose is a dangerous thing.

Yeah, it was a good day with those two.

Bud, you have a million stories :mrgreen:!!!
I am glad that you got to spend some time with those 2 and that a good time was had by all.

PS. Where about to did you three venture out too?

Blessings,
Dan

We hunted out near One Island Lake and drove down the Heritage Highway to Thunder Mountain and over to Tumbler Ridge. Cut a fair amount of fresh wolf tracks and a lot of lynx tracks. However, we only saw two lynx but couldn't get close enough for a shot--both were moving pretty fast.

Dr Mike,

sorry to hear about your fall and although I am sure you are sore I hope that is all. At your age and I can say that, as I am also at that age, we just don't fall as easy or recover as fast as we once did. Get well soon.

Did your neighbor happen to tell you where she is working this summer ? I had to look it up as I had never heard of the place. That is NORTH !

Sorry to hear you will not be able to make the canoe trip with her, bummer, but dealing with her Boykin might be more than people our age want to deal with and she takes that dog everywhere with her (-:

Dr Mike, forgot, loved your story above!

35 whelen and Dr mike, between the two of you you have and have had a Winchester lever action or two in your lifetime. I am jealous of you both. Love all the Winchester lever's

Yup! Saw where she is headed. I envy the study and often wish I were back in the field for such studies. Oh, yes, I don't bounce quite as well as in years past. Not overly sore today, but I am aware of where the flesh met the pavement.

Back