33WCF

Roflmao!?! Sorry about that Mike just couldn't resist that
Cheap shot! Lol, will try to be better!!

I read on a few of the forums that Starline and Remington gave some problems in forming 33WCF from 45-70. They did say that you could use Starline 40-65 and get great results. It sounded like it depended on how tight the chamber in that particular rifle was.

Earle, I enjoy my age--just not the aches, pains and limitations that accompany the years. Still, I do enjoy recalling the experiences God has allowed me to enjoy and the many friends that have graced my life over these years. (y)

Doc, reading your comments on the Model 71 I just happened to be at our local gunshow this morning and saw a model 71 .348 Winchester in Really great condition. Both wood and metal were excellent. He was asking $1500.00. What a temptation.

The Model 71 is a great rifle, without question. Those who own one tend to be quite partial to them. I chose many years ago to invest in Model 94 Big Bores, and I really enjoy them. Wow, a life misspent pursuing rifles no longer produced. Where did my daddy go wrong?

DrMike":2eoanzkc said:
The Model 71 is a great rifle, without question. Those who own one tend to be quite partial to them. I chose many years ago to invest in Model 94 Big Bores, and I really enjoy them. Wow, a life misspent pursuing rifles no longer produced. Where did my daddy go wrong?

He did not go wrong and his son makes good choices because of him, One can never go wrong with a 94, whether in the original calibers, the handgun calibers or the big bore caliber. One of the best. The 71 was also well made and the 348 is a much better caliber than some folks realize. What calibers do you have in the 94 Dr Mike. I only have the 30 WCF or 30/30, but when I was younger I kept my eye out for a 25-35, but never found one that I liked or at that point in my life, could justify the expenditure.

We have friends in the cowboy hunting circuit that uses the 94 in the various pistol calibers.

April, I have or have owned four Model 94s chambered in .356 Winchester, three Model 94s chambered in .307 Winchester and two Model 94s chambered in .375 Winchester. The .356s have accounted for quite a variety of game including, grizzly, black bear, elk, moose, mule deer and whitetail. These are among my prized rifles. Funnily enough, I've never owned a 30-30 or a 30 WCF, though I do keep my eye open for just the right one. I've had a hankering for a Model 86 for some time, but have always been turned aside to pursue another project. It is still on my acquisition list. I did own for a brief period a Model 99 Savage chambered in 38-55. It should never have left my possession. Another youthful indiscretion for which I'm still paying.

diverdown":342p72bu said:
Doc, reading your comments on the Model 71 I just happened to be at our local gunshow this morning and saw a model 71 .348 Winchester in Really great condition. Both wood and metal were excellent. He was asking $1500.00. What a temptation.

For 1500, if it's in that sorta condition, it's a danged steal.

Didn't think of the Hornady 200 FTX.. That might be a great option if they fit and cycle.

Gosh while at the shop yesterday, I was pawing thru old trash and came upon a 71 frame and wood! Maybe I should
Take an old 86 barrel and punch it out to 45 and build it as a .450 Alaskan? Or better yet bore it 50 cal and just make a
50/110??? Could come in handy on my next rhino hunt! I already have an old 1895 project going on now for about 5
Years with a 405 barrel that has never gotten installed yet!
Still need to make stocks for that gun and a 1892 trapper 16" so better not get another one started, lol
E

A build such as you describe is almost mandatory. You wouldn't want to be accused of holding a nugatory frame, would you? Besides, you can never tell when you get an invite to go on a northern rhino hunt in Saskatchewan, Earle. Better get ready now.

35 Whelen":3q1utuxn said:
Gosh while at the shop yesterday, I was pawing thru old trash and came upon a 71 frame and wood! Maybe I should
Take an old 86 barrel and punch it out to 45 and build it as a .450 Alaskan? Or better yet bore it 50 cal and just make a
50/110??? Could come in handy on my next rhino hunt! I already have an old 1895 project going on now for about 5
Years with a 405 barrel that has never gotten installed yet!
Still need to make stocks for that gun and a 1892 trapper 16" so better not get another one started, lol
E

if it is for your next Rhino hunt, you might consider going to the 50 Alaskan, instead of the 450 or 50/110. And you can get bullets for it from woodleigh and alaska bullet works and I bet you already have some 348 brass. Sounds like a fun project

Dr Mike--Darn, that 38/55 would have been one to have kept for sure, especially if it had an octagon barrel, but either way that was a keeper for sure. But who knows maybe it will find its way back to you, we can only hope

Go Broncos!

Lol, that northern saskatchewan hunt is the only one I would even consider as I would only be interested in a "white rino" lol

Man, that 1886 in a 50 Alaskan would be some sorta cool.. Not really gaining much over the old 45-70 but another cool one to shoot once in awhile...

HomerOz":2c1ca4m4 said:
G'Day People,

Yukon Huntress, http://www.woodleighbullets.com.au do still manufacture a 200grain Flat Nose Soft Nose (FN SN), Weldcore (Bonded) bullet (Cat No "56E") .
You should be able to source them in Nth America, via http://www.huntingtons.com in California, USA!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Man, that would be a super bullet for a reduced deer hunting load in the 338 Win Mag.. Thanks for the heads up Homer..

Earle, my grandfather is in his mid 70's and still going strong, but he does now travel to warm climates from Nov to March.

diverdown, if that gun was in as good of condition as you indicate and at that price----- if either Scotty or I had been with you, that gun would now be in our hands.

homer, yes the woodleigh is what he will use, however Brooke ( alaska100's daughter ) informed me last night that we can also get them from Alaska Bullet works

Scotty, you and my grandfather know way , WAY more than I about these things, but I don't feel I have lost anything at all by by trading the 45/70 for the 348. At least in the field, perhaps on paper the 45/70 shows up a lot better ?

Dr Mike, wow!!! you have certainly owned your fair share of 94's Amazing, and I am serious not joking with you about that. However you would be disappointed if I didn't say something----so, what is a 38/55--it sounds like two thirds of a large woman's measurements ?

yukon huntress":3gkoq97d said:
Earle, my grandfather is in his mid 70's and still going strong, but he does now travel to warm climates from Nov to March.

diverdown, if that gun was in as good of condition as you indicate and at that price----- if either Scotty or I had been with you, that gun would now be in our hands.

homer, yes the woodleigh is what he will use, however Brooke ( alaska100's daughter ) informed me last night that we can also get them from Alaska Bullet works

Scotty, you and my grandfather know way , WAY more than I about these things, but I don't feel I have lost anything at all by by trading the 45/70 for the 348. At least in the field, perhaps on paper the 45/70 shows up a lot better ?

Dr Mike, wow!!! you have certainly owned your fair share of 94's Amazing, and I am serious not joking with you about that. However you would be disappointed if I didn't say something----so, what is a 38/55--it sounds like two thirds of a large woman's measurements ?

I am not sure if you give up much of anything with the 348 loaded with the excellent bullets your grandfather uses. I think the edge to the 45-70 would be in the case of having to absolutely break a large amount of bone up close and personal with a 400+ sorta hard cast or touch expanding bullet, and even then, I haven't or will probably never have the experience to say. For the all around uses, I am sure your well healed Cheyenne.

Dr. Mike does have an impressive number of M94's... Probably why us poor folk here in the states never see the darned things! :lol:

yukon huntress":32fjvw41 said:

Cheyenne, which two-thirds? :?

Yeah, I do love the 94, and likely will have a few more should the right deal appear. I missed a really nice .356 for $450 this summer by dithering. Part of my problem was that I was struggling with picking up another. All that I have had shoot amazingly well. I note that the new 94 is being offered in 38-55. It would be interesting to pick it up. To make it hum, it would be necessary to hand load. However, I already hand load for all of them, so that would be no problem?

I would be tempted to load a .375 Barnes TSX for a velocity of ~1750 fps, which would be excellent bear medicine at moderate ranges.

Back