.340 bee for everything

yellow dog

Beginner
Sep 17, 2012
anyone using this for their every thing gun deer on up.

thinking seriously about it... :shock: I know overkill on deer and so on but it shoots well and seems to fit me really nice and with the 250 AB im punching nice holes. have used this combo on elk and am very impressed.

all thoughts are wanted :grin:

A close friend and frequent hunting partner uses the .338WM for everything. With 180gr ABs it makes a superb caribou and blacktail rifle- flat shooting and hard hitting. With heavier bullets- anything in NA is game.

It is certainly needlessly power for deer- but it works and overkill still winds up in the freezer. You do want to choose a good, stoutly constructed bullet and pick your shots carefully- fast expanding bullets at closer ranges or firing on shoulder bones make a huge mess.

If I lived in the L48 and I mainly hunted deer with the occasional elk thrown in every few years, I'd scale back the power a notch or two. If you hunt AK or Canada regularly with moose and griz on the menu with smaller stuff filling out the calendar then the .340 makes a bunch of sense.

I really enjoy shooting my 338RUM and it will keep 250gr Accubonds under an inch at 300yds. Shoots nearly as good with a 250gr Partition and the 250 Berger Elite Hunter.

While it is quite a bit of overkill on whitetails it would be an interesting do-all rifle.

But then again - who wants one gun to do everything? What would I do with all the other rifles?

Charlie-NY":2fx680oe said:
I really enjoy shooting my 338RUM and it will keep 250gr Accubonds under an inch at 300yds. Shoots nearly as good with a 250gr Partition and the 250 Berger Elite Hunter.

While it is quite a bit of overkill on whitetails it would be an interesting do-all rifle.

But then again - who wants one gun to do everything? What would I do with all the other rifles?
Sell the others and put the money in a no load mutual fund. [emoji4]

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I've gone with the .338 Win Mag as my all around rifle but I can see where the Bee might have some advantages.

Well, I seem to use the light-recoiling .25-06 on most everything.

But I rarely hunt game bigger than mule deer.

And I've got some .30 cal & .375 cal rifles for the bigger stuff anyway. Your .340 Wby as an "all around" choice for bigger game (elk, bear, moose, etc) seems to make sense to me!

Regards, Guy

Dad shot Jack Rabbits with his 7MAG. Penciled through, killed them DEAD and probably made him a better shot. "Beware the man with one rifle....he probably knows how to use it". If it likes you...Shoot that sucker! CL

If it works for you, use it.
I myself limit myself to the .338 Win Mag as that's my upper level of tolerance for shooting a box of ammo in a morning at the range unless I have the 45-70. The only problem with the 45-70 is the trajectory.

I used to use the 340 Bee for everything from the odd Coyote to moose!! Never thought once about too much overkill.....actually works superbly on our Saskatchewan Whitetails and Mule deer. Usually ran the 250 Gr. Barnes TSX out of it. Smashed anything in its way. Eventually a Buddy wanted more than I did so I sold it to him.

I now have a few more rifles that I use for hunting when the right oportunity presents itsself.....like an easy draw moose tag I used my 1886 Winchester with irons and cast bullets.

But for anything that will require a serius amount of time and effort the rifle I grab is My .338 RUM with 225 TTSX's and I know no matter what Im up against (coyotes to whatever) Im good to go.......maybe I will have to start using the .378 Bee a little more???? HMMMM!

I use h4350 and 210 PT at 3175 in my 340. Works great on anything!

Back