35 cal 200 gr Accubond from black bear.

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
200 gr AccuBond - 138 gr (69%) .660" diameter. Hit bones in both shoulders and was found in the off side hide. Bullet was started at 2840 fps and the bear was shot at 50 yards or so.

Great performance, Gerry. I will definitely look forward to your account of the hunt. Congratulations.

Gerry that bullet worked perfectly!! Nosler sure makes them right! Congrats on the black bear. Was he nice and fat?? Should be good eating.

35 Whelen of course..... :)

The bear was nice and fat must have had a good year before he denned up.

I got this bear at 5:40 this morning, I saw him on a quiet logging road and he bailed off into the bush. I walked to where he went down to the creek and was able to see him feeding just on the other side. I waited till he cleared some brush and let him have it :) he dropped on the spot, gave a few quivers and it was all over. Should make some excellent sausage :) He is another medium sized boar 5'8" nose to tail, 6'4" across the front paws.

Pretty tough sometimes to get pictures when you are alone :lol:

The bear was at the far side of the creek just below the evergreens.

The mighty Nass river...

At the truck....

Very nice Gerry. That's the way to get it done buddy! Excellent bullet recovery and awesome bear! I'm betting he will make some great chow! Good hunt. Very happy for you!

That 200AB looks real good. Seemed to crush a lot of bone.

Nice Bear Gerry. It looks like the Whelen did an awesome job. Looks like I'm going to have to find some of those 200gr ABs to try.

Thanks guys, glad I could find one easily and bring home some meat. I noticed the 200 gr AccuBond was built a bit lighter than the 225 gr version after sectioning them, must have tailored it more for deer sized game. They still built it tough enough however, it hit a lot of mass and hit some pretty heavy bone :) Hope to run one into a mountain goat still in August of September.

Nice bear, Gerry. I saw one the other day on a FSR. I wasn't actively hunting, but wish I was because he looked like yours.

Thanks, are you thinking of trying for one this year?

I should also mention this bear had been in a recent fight looking at the bruising on his hind quarter. Most likely a similar sized boar in the same area. I saw a total of 7 bears while out which is pretty low, there should be more showing up out of their dens soon.

A very nice bear Jerry. I would be very happy with one like that. !!!!!! Great photo's.

gerry":1hsxhxzt said:

I should also mention this bear had been in a recent fight looking at the bruising on his hind quarter. Most likely a similar sized boar in the same area. I saw a total of 7 bears while out which is pretty low, there should be more showing up out of their dens soon.

I might try and go up to see if I can find the one that I saw. No one else has been up there yet. Pretty muddy. I'm most likely the first set of tracks up there.

It was a beautiful bear. Nice thick coat, and quite a bit of size to him. Maybe this week.

Osprey78":2kpkmfjo said:
gerry":2kpkmfjo said:

I might try and go up to see if I can find the one that I saw. No one else has been up there yet. Pretty muddy. I'm most likely the first set of tracks up there.

It was a beautiful bear. Nice thick coat, and quite a bit of size to him. Maybe this week.

I hope you can get out, Spring is a wonderful time to be out in the wilds of B.C.

Thanks gents....

Glad to hear you are seeing so many bruins, Gerry. We still aren't seeing loads of bears, but I cut grizzly tracks each time I've gone out.

Today is the first day I have seen the pictures of your bear on a full sized computer screen Gerry. Your bear is beautiful buddy! What a great looking black bear.

I always smile when you hammer another animal with that Whelen of yours.. Whenever I see it laying over another animal the rifle just looks like it is meant to be in that country you live in.. It is about as perfect as it gets.

Thanks. It certainly is a perfect match for the country over here, lots of close range stuff but the round still can reach out a ways.

Mike, we aren't seeing many which is why I don't think they are all out yet. Closer to home there was a lot of snow still at low levels last weekend, up where I got the bear had less snow and that is where we saw the bears. I was about 150 km from home where I got this guy, just needed to see some country again that I haven't seen in a while.

Back