35 WCF

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
So I was over in eastern Oregon visiting my folks on their ranch when the neighbor drives up and pulls up a chair to visit. As often is the case when I go home, the conversation turns to guns, ammo, or hunting and this was no exception. He goes to his truck and returns clutching a well-worn Winchester Model 1895 in 35 WCF caliber. He claims he cannot find ammo for it. You dont say!

He had a handful of shells and so we shot them up. They were reloads made up from 30-40 Krag brass necked up and fireformed by another gunny from long ago. They shot well and though I didnt have my chrony, I knew they were moving right along.

So then he asks me if I can make him 50 rds. 35 caliber slugs are a plenty on our shelves these days since not too many folks have 35's in the US. Brass is easily resized and fireformed from 30-40 Krag brass. This round and rifle combo turns out to be a pretty good team, a 250 grain bullet at 2200 fps! For a turn of the century rifle this was cooking. The only superior cartridges offered in this rifle were the 30 Government Model of 1906 (30-06 pre-1917) and the 405 WCF.

What I lack is data.

I need data for Speer and Hornady bullets of 200 and 250 grain weights. Original muzzle velocity is desirable as the 95 is strong enough to handle it but if your running slower thats okay too. He doesn't plan to do a grand slam, big five, and then start doing Cowboy Action Shooting with it, 50 rounds may last him his lifetime.

So fellow Gunnys I appeal to the collective for greater knowledge...

I would bet that if you measured fireformed case capacity of your cases and passed that data to someone like DrMike, he would be able to oblige you on some data and points of reference for loading. I really liking this thread. Those old 35's are some awesome rounds and a 250 at 2200 is nothing to sneeze at, at all!. Heck, I am not sure how much faster a 358 Win could push a 250 in my BLR. If you get a chance, post some pictures of that rifle. That is history right there. Scotty

This is from athe Lyman loading manual #37.
They do not show a max and min load so I would have to asume thet loads shown are maximum.
Data is for the 250 gr. bullet.
IMR-3031 49.0 gr. for 2320 FPS
IMR-4320 51.5 gr. for 2250 FPS
If you have a copy of Ken Waters PET LOADS, at least one of the later ones, he has an article on the .35 Win. with a whole bunch of his tested loads. I tried copying the load list but the book is way too thick and I couldn't get a decent copy. At least that's a source of data for that cartridge.
Paul B.

Back