35 whelen ammo

cottonman1973

Beginner
Nov 19, 2008
Just wanted to say How Impressed I am with the 225 AccuBond custom ammo I purchased. Out of a T/C Encore It shoots sub MOA, actually closer to .5 MOA. I cant wait to try it out this weekend down here in Mississippi

cottonman1973

Welcome to the forum.

You will find out real soon just how much of a thumper the 35 Whelen is on deer. The 225 gr AB is just about the perfect bullet for the Whelen.
Nice shooting too! :grin:

JD338

Tried it out this morning On a cull buck. 136 yards quartering away. entered about midway back of the ribcage exited on the point of the far side shoulder, wrecked his vitals and dropped him like lightning

I am 3 for 3 bang flops with the 35 whelen. I haven't used up my purchase of green boxed ammo yet. Nosler really has the whelen covered with their custum ammo using the partitions and the accubonds. I really can't see using anything other than Nosler with this caliber.

I have shot about 16 deer and a black bear with my 35 Whelen. Only 2-3 deer ran off but the blood trail was short and heavy. All others were bang flop kills. The first two years, I used the 200 gr PSPCL factory load and killed 4 bucks. Only 1 ran off but he didn't go far. Every other kill was with the 225 gr PT. The 35 Whelen is a hammer on deer. :wink:

JD338

JD338

Nosler and Alaskan forms really respect the 35 Whelen for what it does so well, basicly an extreamly effect 0-300 yard killer of big and bigger Game. Other forms just do not realize just how great it is which can only be from a complete lac of actual use, because those that have used it are aued by it. And many of them also own rifles that have 300/338/MAG stamped on them.

Have you tried TAC powder in the whelen? I used it in a 35rem and plan to try it in wy 358win which I am hearing might just be the best for the 358win. Just for referance Tac in my 18.5" ported barrel didn't give the higher velcity it does in a 20" barrel. H4895 is what I am useing in both the 35rem and the 358 at this time.

Shot a 250 pound boar hog friday at 270 yards and dropped him on the spot. This Whelen with the 225 Accubonds is tough on this Mississippi Game

Cotton,

Are you a member on the Match Grade Machine forum also, which begs to ask is your barrel a MGM barrel? :lol: I have been thinking about getting a .35whelen barrel for my Encore and I think I remember you posting over there as I researched the matter.

tjen

Sorry for the late reply.

I agree with you, some folks think of it as a short range rifle only. If you spend some time with a Whelen, it will give you an ever lasting impression.
the 35 Whelen is a 300 yard elk rifle easy.
The only powders I have used in the 35 Whelen are IMR4064, AA 2015BR, and RL 15.

JD338

tjen":21qy1lu0 said:
JD338

Have you tried TAC powder in the whelen? I used it in a 35rem and plan to try it in wy 358win which I am hearing might just be the best for the 358win. Just for referance Tac in my 18.5" ported barrel didn't give the higher velcity it does in a 20" barrel. H4895 is what I am useing in both the 35rem and the 358 at this time.
I believe that TAC would be too fast you'd want something slower like Big Game. I cannot find my ramshot loading data right now. Send them a e mail and they will give it to you.
Here is a link to their email.
http://www.ramshot.com/powders/

Powder burn rates very depending on what case it is in. For example the 35rem H4895 is faster than TAC. I am hearing TAC works great in the 358win for 200/225gr bullets. Depending on bullet weight the 35whelen/358win/35rem do share some powders that work good in all three, H4895 for one. Reloader 15 is what I plan to use in the whelen with 225/250gr bullets.

The western ballistition gave me the plus pressure loads for the 35rem (200gr@2250fps). So he should send there 358win or 35whelen data too

If I pull a bear tag this year (and I should), think I will dust off the 35 Whelen and use it this year. The 225 gr AB should do the trick. :wink:

JD338

cottonman1973":svgavkx5 said:
Shot a 250 pound boar hog friday at 270 yards and dropped him on the spot. This Whelen with the 225 Accubonds is tough on this Mississippi Game

There won't be any game left for the rest of us here in Mississippi if you continue to use that 35 Whelen :shock: :shock:

Good to hear about your success. :grin: And welcome to the forum.

My son and I made a move 10 years ago from our 35 Remington's to 7600 pumps with 35 Whelen and have not looked back. The 225 grain AB rounds have done real well. I purchased 225 partitions for both my 35 Whelen and 350 RemMag this year to use. I also purchased a black gun carbine 7600 in 35 Remington and added a 1.5x6x44 to use on my mtn up close deer & bear trips in the fall.

CatskillCrawler":hp4iwi6q said:
Can't beat the .35's for "plant em where they stand" results and the Rem pumps are great hunting irons.

You aren't kidding. None of the deer shot at with the 35's this year went anywhere.

Just about any of the 35 calibre cartridges will perform marvellously on game.

If your 35rem 7600's have a 22" barrels Use 40.0grs of TAC and this is western powders listed max load for a 200gr in the 35rem. Its should give you 2150-2200fps. Listed velocity is 2100fps but I get 2170fps in my 18.5" barrel. And the +P would be +2250fps in your guns. Call western if you want +P data. And look no further than the REM 200gr CLRN its still the best hands down.

I have the 35rem, 358win and 35whelen. The 35rem is loaded with 200gr CLRN @ 2180fps and its a hammer with in its range. I like to keep it under 150 yards and even better if under 100 yards.

I have to start reloading for the whelen and the 225ge AB and REL15 will do just right. I have it in a 7600 so I won't push the velcity what ever list velocity is will work.

Back