35 Whelen Imp.

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
I promised to keep you up to date on the project. so I thought I would start with some pics of the stock and the new Air Cell recoil pad. I have called JES twice this week with out any return calls as of today but still waiting to find out how things are going and if it was shipped and when it will arrive. I've got 50 rounds loaded for fire forming and ready to go the new 2.5-8X36 Leupold is sitting and waiting to go into the new Talley light weight rings. Everything is ready and waiting.
The stock is the Black Pepper stock I bought from the 24hr Camp Fire.

Update, just got a call from JES and it's on it's way back home and should have it by Monday or Tuesday.

Attachments

• NCM_0246.JPG
    NCM_0246.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 2,037
  • NCM_0247.JPG
    NCM_0247.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 2,037
Very cool Rodger! That's going to be a beauty.

What are you going to do with that awesome Classic you have?

SJB358":3s9tai6z said:

Its always good to have a backup rifle.Lee (y)

wvchevy3":3prfk6jz said:
SJB358":3prfk6jz said:

Its always good to have a backup rifle.Lee (y)

Great minds run on the same track Lee!

Rodger, that sure is going to be a great looking rifle. Buddy you have done everything right I know it is going to be a shooter as well. Placing a Leuy on top just sets it off right (y)!! Looking forward to the range reports with photos I hope.

Blessings,
Dan

Dan I hope to see it in the mail tomorrow since it didn't arrive today and I hope to get plenty of photos. Now I might have a problem with my part time job since the weather is breaking and my employer sent the truck out to have it gone over and tuned up like I told them to do last year but truck drivers with 40yrs experience don't know anything about trucks, just mechanics who don't drive them and can't fix them if we don't tell them whats wrong with them or what to look for. :(

Thanks Dan, Yeah I get discouraged when I was told I was hired to take care of stuff and then get slapped down when I tell them what is needed makes me wonder why I even tell them and let them find out the hard way. So much for that garbage.
Now the barreled action didn't show today as promised so a call went out to JES to find out just where it is. I'm a bit of a pest when you tell me something is suppose to happen and then it doesn't.

Rodger I know exactly what you mean about being impatient when you are told something and then it doesn't come to be.
Sometimes we have to wait for real good things it is just that way :lol:.

Blessings,
Dan

The 35 Whelen Imp came home. It took 3 days longer to get here than we thought it would but it made it.
Here's a picture of the 3 35 Whelen Nosler brass that Jesse used to prof fire the action along side 3 35 Whelen virgin brass. I measured the virgin brass and it measured 2.486",
the fired brass in my chamber measured 2.463". When fire formed the brass shortened by .023".
The Imp brass is on the right.

Attachments

• NCM_0248.JPG
    NCM_0248.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,757
I just got them today and really haven't had time to do anything except take a few pictures. I could give you a powder capacity but that wouldn't be the same as HO2 cap and each powder would be different.

The prof load Jesse used was 56.5grs of 4320 with a 225 Sierra.

Looks good Rodger. Seems like they look well formed...

Ready for the range now!

Yes the cases look perfect and tomorrow might be a range day since I took off to be home when the wife's new kitchen table and chairs arrive and was told they would be here between 3&4 pm.
I just finished cleaning it but couldn't get all the copper out of it though I didn't really try real hard. Been up driving since 0400 to 1530 and not very energetic.
I did put the Talley low rings on it torqued the base screws to 25"lbs.
Oh I found unburnt powder between the barrel and chamber, makes me think he stuck a bullet and pulled the brass out spilling the powder.
He said he lost his letter H stamp and this is a picture of what he put on the barrel.
While I talked with him in one of our conversations I gave him permission to bury the Winchester logo and caliber stamp under the forearm since he was going to set the barrel back and that would make it easier for him and I would have a clean looking barrel when the action is assembled into the stock.
So here's a picture of how he marked it and I'm not really happy with it but it's too late now and the only option is to have some one mill it off and restamp it.

Attachments

• NCM_0252.JPG
    NCM_0252.JPG
    904 KB · Views: 1,738
Yeah, his stamping does leave something to be desired. I have seen a few people who have milled the caliber area and cleanly stamped whatever they wanted. I really try not to get too bent up since he is relatively inexpensive for the work he does.

I would lap the bore a little if you can or have the time. It'll only save you a little bit of time getting it smoothed out. I would bet it will grab copper till it's smooth.

Mine takes quite a few rounds (5-7) before it really settles down and shoots well, once you get it fouled, I'll knock the carbon out but won't touch the copper. I can't seem to shoot it enough to make the accuracy drop off. Since its a Newton, I give up before the rifle does.

The chamber job looks excellent though from the fired cases. I don't imagine you'll have too much trouble with it.

I am looking forward to your range work. I am looking forward to your H20 measurements once you get some more fired cases and a chance to take some readings. It does look like you won't ever have to trim brass though and I can't say that is a bad thing...

Back