35 Whelen Imp.

truck driver":14uhugec said:
I see where Scotty and DrMike have a Speer #2 manual for wildcats and was wondering if there were any 35 Whelen Imp loads in it?

Nope.

Well gosh, if the 225 sierra and the 200AB fit OK, that's great! I'd just use that 200 Hornady for fireforming cases, in fact, that's my favorite way to fireform-jam that puppy into the lands and it holds the case head back against the bolt face. BTW, my SIL uses that 200 Hornady for fireforming his brass. In my longer throat, I used the Speer 220FN and some 250grners. Guess you will just have to try them Pard!

Got to the range today and most of it was still under water from all the rain we have had this past couple of days so I could only shoot at the 25yd target berm. I had 10 200gr Hornady SP loaded with 51grs of IMR4895, 15 loaded with 225gr Sierra GK same powder charge 51grs of 4895 and the three fire formed cases JES sent back loaded with RL15 and the 225gr GK. Here's some pictures.
Also for the record I had to seat the 200gr Hornady Sp to a OAL of 3.080" to get them to fit in the chamber and that was as long as the chamber while allow me to seat this bullet. The 225gr Sierra GK was seated to 3.250" OAL per Sierras manual.

Attachments

• NCM_0261.JPG
    NCM_0261.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,243
  • NCM_0263.JPG
    NCM_0263.JPG
  • NCM_0264.JPG
    NCM_0264.JPG
Looks like it'll shoot just fine. Great job. That sounds like a great way to get it broke in.

Looking good, Rodger. I believe it is going to work just fine for you.

Scotty, The cases look the same as the ones JES fire formed using a heavier load of 4320 with the 225gr GK. I'll try and get some pics posted so you can see them.

No problem at all. Just wondered if the small bumps got cleared up with some shooting.

Sometimes the machining oil is pretty stuff. Might've taken a little extra firing to get it all cleaned up.

Rodger, I have a pretty long throat on my gun and the 200 gr Hornady still needs to be seated deep, just the shape of that bullet. Quite a difference between the 200 gr AccuBond and TTSX as well. It appears that the gun is going to shoot though........

gerry":2jee4eg1 said:
Rodger, I have a pretty long throat on my gun and the 200 gr Hornady still needs to be seated deep, just the shape of that bullet. Quite a difference between the 200 gr AccuBond and TTSX as well. It appears that the gun is going to shoot though........

Gerry is giving you the straight skinny, Rodger. You're doing quite well with premium bullets.

Yeah I personally wouldn't worry about them hornadys. I'd shoot a few AB's see what happens and go from there. The 210 PT in my 338-06AI loads short.

Scotty, I recleaned the chamber before I shot it this last time and the brass came out clean and no dimples.

The Hornady 200's caught me off guard since they gave me no problems in the 700 classic and hadn't read anywhere that they needed to be seated deeper than normal.
I'll use them for fire forming and see what the ABs will do after I get some more brass formed.

Gerry if you would please explain the difference in the AB and the TTSX shape. I've never looked closely at the TTSX to see a difference in design. If you or someone else could post a picture of the 2 side by side it would help.
Thanks everyone for the kind comments I think it's going to shoot but need to stretch it out before I get too excited about it.

I can see that. I'd imagine it'll come around for you pretty nicely. Once you get 50 cases formed I'm thinking you'd have to do a ton of shooting to wear them out.

Here are all 3 Rodger. I don't have any Hornady's loaded up to measure but the 200 gr AccuBond is 3.400" long and the 200 gr TTSX is at 3.315". They have much different settings on my seating die.

Thanks Gerry, my 200gr Hornadys are loaded to 3.080" and I can load the ABs and Sierras to the manuals printed OAL 3.340" and 3.250" I haven't tried to load anything any longer yet.
Here's some more pics of fire formed brass.
The pics of the primers look like mild pressure but I don't think so since these were starter loads from Hornady and Sierra manuals and the 3 pieces JES proofed the rifle with were the same. The brass also had been preprimed with federal 215 primers so I just loaded them and shot them I couldn't see decaping the brass.
The 2 in the loading block are before and after fire forming so you can see the difference in the shoulder.

Attachments

• NCM_0268.JPG
    NCM_0268.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,272
  • NCM_0265.JPG
    NCM_0265.JPG
  • NCM_0273.JPG
    NCM_0273.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,272
  • NCM_0269.JPG
    NCM_0269.JPG
  • NCM_0270.JPG
    NCM_0270.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,272
Roger are you able to get an H20 capacity on them?

Wonder how much is there?

They look great.

I don't have a digital scale and the one a friend has gets stupid every time we try to use it for weighing brass for H20 weight. Been thinking about getting one from Balistics Products that is 110 and battery.

Or I could mail 3 of each to you so you could weigh them for me. :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

Rodger by the evidence of those targets I believe you are well on our way to having that AI shooting very well (y). Good job Lad.

Blessings,
Dan

truck driver":2uqy5410 said:
Scotty, I recleaned the chamber before I shot it this last time and the brass came out clean and no dimples.

The Hornady 200's caught me off guard since they gave me no problems in the 700 classic and hadn't read anywhere that they needed to be seated deeper than normal.
I'll use them for fire forming and see what the ABs will do after I get some more brass formed.

Gerry if you would please explain the difference in the AB and the TTSX shape. I've never looked closely at the TTSX to see a difference in design. If you or someone else could post a picture of the 2 side by side it would help.
Thanks everyone for the kind comments I think it's going to shoot but need to stretch it out before I get too excited about it.

Rodger,

Sometimes they will dimple if you have oil in the chamber or if you don't have enough pressure to Fireform. When I did mine I loaded up to 50k and jammed the bullets into the lands and I didn't have a problem.

Back