35 Whelen twist rate

chundoo

Beginner
Apr 25, 2005
Grettings, I just found this forum and since I'm an avid Nosler fan and plan to use Noslers in my new gun when it's finished I thought I'd get some opinions from other Nosler users.

The rifle is being built on a Mauser 98 Steyr action and will be chambered in a standard 35 Whelen. I kicked around a few other calibers but decided to go with this classic. I'm ready to order the barrel and need to determine the appropriate rate of twist. My bullet choices will be 225 BT and 250 grain Partitions which I assume to be about the same length although I don't have any to measure. If my guesses are right about the length, the Greenhill formula indicates a 15 or 16 twist would be about right. I've seen several factory chambered rifles that use a 12 twist though which is confusing. Does anyone have any first hand experience they would be willing to share? I'd also like to get the actual dimension of the two bullets if possible. Anyone with thoughts about this I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks

I have a few friends that have 35 whelens. Their rifles have a 1-14 twist. I would'nt have thought a twist that slow would stabilize a 250 gr. bullet but it does. I think remington 35 whelen rifles have a 1-174 twist too.

700 BDL,

I have a M700 Classic (1987) which has a 1 in 16 twist.
This rifle shoots sub MOA with both 225 gr PT and 250 gr PT bullets.
You will really enjoy your 35 Whelen when it is completed. It is a real thumper for WT Deer and Black Bear. The 225 gr PT has made many bang-flop 1 shot kills. If they do run, you will have a very heavy and short tracking job.

Good Luck.

Regards,

JD338

I have taken several blacktail deer, Roosevelt elk, black bear and a mule deer w/ mine. It is a great caliber. My gun is a rem 760 that started life as a 35 rem and someone along the way had it rechambered. what ever twist the barrel is stabalizes all bullet weights great. it shhots 200 grn rem cl, 225 bt and 250 parts.

Back