35 Whelen vs. 35 Whelen AI vs. 338-06

I too think you would be plenty fast with the 12" twist. I also agree with bear- I have a friend out here who uses the 338/06 (I don't know the twist) but he uses the old Hornady 200 spire point on everything. Killed a nice cow elk right at 410yds one year! The 200 Speer the 210 Partition have great results. Myself, I plan on using the 180AB and the 200 NBT in a 338 RCM ( I'm hoping for 338/06 Imp velocity from its 22" barrel) I also love those old roundnose softnoses. Woodleigh makes a couple bullets for the 338 Federal speeds, they also make a 225 roundnose, as does Hawk. That 35 cal 310 woodleigh softnose at 2400 was awesome on a 200# pig at 30 steps! Blew pieces of lungs for tens of steps! Made a 45 cal in and a 75 caliber out, no bruised meat! Hornady 250 roundnose can still be found. BUT, that 200 Barnes "does the same thing". :)

preacher":3nyoa3a3 said:
I too think you would be plenty fast with the 12" twist. I also agree with bear- I have a friend out here who uses the 338/06 (I don't know the twist) but he uses the old Hornady 200 spire point on everything. Killed a nice cow elk right at 410yds one year! The 200 Speer the 210 Partition have great results. Myself, I plan on using the 180AB and the 200 NBT in a 338 RCM ( I'm hoping for 338/06 Imp velocity from its 22" barrel) I also love those old roundnose softnoses. Woodleigh makes a couple bullets for the 338 Federal speeds, they also make a 225 roundnose, as does Hawk. That 35 cal 310 woodleigh softnose at 2400 was awesome on a 200$ pig at 30 steps! Blew pieces of lungs for tens of steps! Made a 45 cal in and a 75 caliber out, no bruised meat! Hornady 250 roundnose can still be found. BUT, that 200 Barnes "does the same thing". :)
Alas, yes, I will be sticking with the regular 35 Whelen.
Mainly, because I think it's cool. But, also because I can use factory ammo.
1 in 12 it is!!

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

I had good luck with the Sierra 225 and nosler PT 210 and 225 in the 338 RCM. I really like the 338 RCM, it’s a very cool cartridge. I wouldn’t mind making another one some day. I was able to get 2600+ fps out of my 20” barreled RCM.

I don’t ever push my cartridges very hard. I find that if I want more speed I’m much better off going to a bigger cartridge than trying to squeeze every last drop out of the smaller one. The beauty of the medium bores is that that are so mild and still very effective at practical ranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebear_78":gqualdqd said:
I had good luck with the Sierra 225 and nosler PT 210 and 225 in the 338 RCM. I really like the 338 RCM, it’s a very cool cartridge. I wouldn’t mind making another one some day. I was able to get 2600+ fps out of my 20” barreled RCM.

I don’t ever push my cartridges very hard. I find that if I want more speed I’m much better off going to a bigger cartridge than trying to squeeze every last drop out of the smaller one. The beauty of the medium bores is that that are so mild and still very effective at practical ranges.

That’s what I’m learning, the medium bores perform exceptionally well with medium velocities due to there bigger size.
They really don’t have to be “hot-rodded” to get really good results.
I don’t doubt the 338-06 would perform well. I would like to have something that I could possibly go and buy factory ammo just in case.
You never know, especially nowadays.

Hawk

I have a couple of whelens, it’s a great round. The federal factory ammo is good stuff.

Thebear_78":390bor4w said:
I have a couple of whelens, it’s a great round. The federal factory ammo is good stuff.

Hmmm! You have more than one, eh?
You must really like the round!

That’s what I hear, that the Federal Fusion ammo is really good stuff.

Hawk

I have a Winchester 70 and a 1895 lever in 35 whelen. I have had a Remington 750, and a ruger 77. It’s a very versatile round. The two I still have are 1-12,

Thebear_78":27ya0d90 said:
I have a Winchester 70 and a 1895 lever in 35 whelen. I have had a Remington 750, and a ruger 77. It’s a very versatile round. The two I still have are 1-12,

I was wondering if the Winchester 1895 was capable of handling the pressures of the 35 Whelen? Now I know.
I think the 1 in 12 inch twist is optimal for me as well.

Hawk

df9d6322bdcd3e2e4cf22536e67c080d.jpg

This is the 1895 in question. It’s got a 1-12 stainless barrel. It’s currently at my smith getting the barrel bobbed to 20” and getting a skinner peep and NECG front sight installed along with a scout mount. Looking to make it the twin of this one.

08f6c76f04e2419ce7d238da33d90222.jpg

The bottom one is a 411/9.3x62

I think the whelen is a great candidate for one of the newer Japanese made reproductions. Like I said before I don’t bother trying to hot rod my mediums so I won’t push the Winchester action any. They make the new ones in 270 win, if they handle 270 pressures standard whelen loads will be no issue.

Thebear_78":le0an29y said:
df9d6322bdcd3e2e4cf22536e67c080d.jpg

This is the 1895 in question. It’s got a 1-12 stainless barrel. It’s currently at my smith getting the barrel bobbed to 20” and getting a skinner peep and NECG front sight installed along with a scout mount. Looking to make it the twin of this one.

08f6c76f04e2419ce7d238da33d90222.jpg

The bottom one is a 411/9.3x62

I think the whelen is a great candidate for one of the newer Japanese made reproductions. Like I said before I don’t bother trying to hot rod my mediums so I won’t push the Winchester action any. They make the new ones in 270 win, if they handle 270 pressures standard whelen loads will be no issue.

Yes, believe you’re right! If they can handle the.270, they’ll be able to handle the 35 Whelen.
Modern heat treatment makes a lot of difference.

Hawk

I've shot a mix of factory and handloads through my Whelen. I found that in the 700 Classic, the recoil with Superformance loads was enough to pinch nerves in my shoulder, causing fingers in my shooting hand to go numb. That's not like anything I've had happen with any other rifle I own, though the largest bore is a 375 Ruger. I also found that even in the 22 inch barrel, my particular rifle averaged only 10fps below advertised with the Hornady load. Remington 200 and 250 grain loads were smooth. All shot accurately.

For handloads, I shoot a lot of Speer, because of the cost, and well, they work. 180's and 250's seem to do very well for accuracy and expansion, even at moderate velocities. I've loaded the 250 grain Partition for it as well and found it accurate, but no experience with expansion - though I've no reason to doubt the performance. Also shot quite a few Hornady FTX, which I believe are designed for the 35 Rem. They're accurate enough for me, and I can push them at modest velocities still well above 35 Rem and below 35 Whelen max.

Lots of flexibility.

KinleyWater":25kvrjn5 said:
I've shot a mix of factory and handloads through my Whelen. I found that in the 700 Classic, the recoil with Superformance loads was enough to pinch nerves in my shoulder, causing fingers in my shooting hand to go numb. That's not like anything I've had happen with any other rifle I own, though the largest bore is a 375 Ruger. I also found that even in the 22 inch barrel, my particular rifle averaged only 10fps below advertised with the Hornady load. Remington 200 and 250 grain loads were smooth. All shot accurately.

For handloads, I shoot a lot of Speer, because of the cost, and well, they work. 180's and 250's seem to do very well for accuracy and expansion, even at moderate velocities. I've loaded the 250 grain Partition for it as well and found it accurate, but no experience with expansion - though I've no reason to doubt the performance. Also shot quite a few Hornady FTX, which I believe are designed for the 35 Rem. They're accurate enough for me, and I can push them at modest velocities still well above 35 Rem and below 35 Whelen max.

Lots of flexibility.
That’s what I’m understanding about the Hornady Superformance load. It will definitely get your attention, and some.
As you mentioned before, you can ease the loads up and down, and still get amazing performance from the 35 Whelen, and not beat yourself up in the process. I’m learning it as I go along.
I really like the idea that I can use it for small to even the largest game here in North America, and I can make it a pussy cat or a fire breathing dragon, depending upon what I’m hunting.

Hawk

My first Mod 700 Classic ( reamed to AI) I had a Decelerator Pad put on. The factory pad felt hard. I ruined that rifle by having it converted to magnum and rebarreled to a 416 Taylor, 20" barrel. Had the "holes all around" kind of brake. OMG earsplitting! Sold it. Later in life, I wanted another Mod 700 Classic, reamed with the same reamer, and about that time I had developed an "non- gun related" torn retina in my left eye. It also had the Decelerator pad, but then I had a good muzzle-brake put on. Kitten then. After my eye repair, I don't use brakes anymore, but they can help. Just get the" three big perpendicular holes kind ". Mag Na Port is also good in Whelan size rounds. Keeps the stock out of your face, a bit quieter than a brake, so to speak.

I agree, a good recoil pad like the Pachmyer Decelerator will tame the beast. I am going to have to get one for my 700 Classic 35 Whelen one day.

JD338

The Speer 250 is one of my favorite bullets in the whelen. This is one I recovered from a large driftwood log at 50 yards. This was laying in the sand behind a 17-18” driftwood log. This was with a MV of 2400fps.

1851d537d0dfdc6026fd103a4f0a6796.jpg

d20c0a78117ae9361a988b0d00c8ad77.jpg

If you want a soft shooting whelen try to get ahold of one of the Remington 750s.
da6d1d11c9fc9b37d76fdfa48c23b6b2.jpg

You have to keep loads fairly mellow but it is an absolute sweetheart to shoot. I eventually got rid of it because it was too pretty to beat up and there was no real quiet way to chamber a round. I don’t usually have one in the pipe unless I’m in the final stages of a stalk.

HAWKEYESATX":10z9ie6e said:
preacher":10z9ie6e said:
Hey Hawkeye- If you can get a solid 2900 in the standard Whelan with the 200 TTSX, you can use it in place of any 300WM up to 375yds! It will also kill like the 338WM and the 200X (used them both in South Africa) I found the 200X I used on my last trip with my 35 WAI to be just as effective as the 250X was on my first trip! Surprisingly, while I never had any, ever, headspace issues with the standard Whelan shoulder, I "did" with new cases in both the 9.3x62 and .404 Jeffry. My point being "I believe" the 35 Whelan has plenty of shoulder to headspace on. You will be one very fortunate man nowadays IF you can shoot yours enough to wear out the cases in a batch of 100! FWIW I have never played with the 225gr anything , I always stayed on each end, 200- 250/310. Good luck to you Pard.
That’s what I was hoping for, to get the hydrostatic shot up past the 300 WM, and reduce recoil at the same time.
I just bought a Mauser 98 in 8mm Mauser, with a 25 inch barrel, and I’m selling my Remington 78 Sportsman in .30-06. I wanted a little longer barrel for my rebore, and am going to rebore/rechamber the Mauser into a 35 Whelen with 3 groove rifling, and a 1 in 10 inch twist. I’m taking Scottie’s advice on that one. I want to see what that twist will do.
I’m thinking it may make the lighter weights not as accurate as the heavier bullets.

Hawk

Hey Hawk I read that you are selling the Rem 78 to get more barrel length but that rifle would be an ideal candidate for reboring to 35 Whelen. Solid action unless you just like the Mauser style. Just a thought. Dan.

wvbuckbuster":3v3r4mc0 said:
HAWKEYESATX":3v3r4mc0 said:
preacher":3v3r4mc0 said:
Hey Hawkeye- If you can get a solid 2900 in the standard Whelan with the 200 TTSX, you can use it in place of any 300WM up to 375yds! It will also kill like the 338WM and the 200X (used them both in South Africa) I found the 200X I used on my last trip with my 35 WAI to be just as effective as the 250X was on my first trip! Surprisingly, while I never had any, ever, headspace issues with the standard Whelan shoulder, I "did" with new cases in both the 9.3x62 and .404 Jeffry. My point being "I believe" the 35 Whelan has plenty of shoulder to headspace on. You will be one very fortunate man nowadays IF you can shoot yours enough to wear out the cases in a batch of 100! FWIW I have never played with the 225gr anything , I always stayed on each end, 200- 250/310. Good luck to you Pard.
That’s what I was hoping for, to get the hydrostatic shot up past the 300 WM, and reduce recoil at the same time.
I just bought a Mauser 98 in 8mm Mauser, with a 25 inch barrel, and I’m selling my Remington 78 Sportsman in .30-06. I wanted a little longer barrel for my rebore, and am going to rebore/rechamber the Mauser into a 35 Whelen with 3 groove rifling, and a 1 in 10 inch twist. I’m taking Scottie’s advice on that one. I want to see what that twist will do.
I’m thinking it may make the lighter weights not as accurate as the heavier bullets.

Hawk

Hey Hawk I read that you are selling the Rem 78 to get more barrel length but that rifle would be an ideal candidate for reboring to 35 Whelen. Solid action unless you just like the Mauser style. Just a thought. Dan.
Hey there Dan!

I found a new candidate to be rebored to 35 Whelen.
It’s a Winchester 670 in 30-06 with a 22 inch barrel. I had to get this because stock dimensions fit me perfectly. I’ll probably just need to add a decent recoil pad on it now.

Hawk

bf43ec120bd9217967b0fe71ef614914.jpg

b03978683029b01d06e898a3494343e6.jpg

KinleyWater":sl6h1tla said:
That's a pretty rifle.
Thank you!
Not bad for a plain Jane, economy rifle for back in the 70’s.

Hawk

Thebear_78":170jsb7f said:
The Speer 250 is one of my favorite bullets in the whelen. This is one I recovered from a large driftwood log at 50 yards. This was laying in the sand behind a 17-18” driftwood log. This was with a MV of 2400fps.

1851d537d0dfdc6026fd103a4f0a6796.jpg

d20c0a78117ae9361a988b0d00c8ad77.jpg

If you want a soft shooting whelen try to get ahold of one of the Remington 750s.
da6d1d11c9fc9b37d76fdfa48c23b6b2.jpg

You have to keep loads fairly mellow but it is an absolute sweetheart to shoot. I eventually got rid of it because it was too pretty to beat up and there was no real quiet way to chamber a round. I don’t usually have one in the pipe unless I’m in the final stages of a stalk.

Holy cow!

Look at that bullet!

I’ve heard good things about the Hot-cor’s, and the Sierra Game Kings.
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with using the original specs with the 35 Whelen, since that’s what made it famous to begin with.
Can’t argue with success and tried and true advice or loads.

Hawk

Back